Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Savages With Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8)
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:01 am 

The tide has turned and many renters of my ethnicity are very pissed off.

We need to have a morals clause in our lease that the working class can invoke against some who seek to destroy our homes and communities that are on section 8.

We have common ground.

We need to ban together!

I feel the pain of those who seek to live in peace and harmony.

I do not want to move in your neck of the woods.

I will be looked upon as a invader and will have to prove myself.

The almighty dollar that follows section 8 tenants is destroying the working class African American communities.

I as do many other African American who have payed their dues to society and want to live in peace feel threatened.

Why should I have to move away from my culture to a White community.

I need to know the names of some good lawyers who will defend me and my family against what I perceive to be an ongoing onslaught to remove descent upstanding African Americans from their rental units by terrorist activities while the property managers stand idly by.

I hope you can see what is going on.

We despise them worse than you do but know they are down by law and they do not have any checks and balances.

Lets come together and call for them to have to work and not just part time and for their children to be exemplary students and for them to stay in school and the whole family has to be drug free. :shock: :D

Hmmm You didn't know did you :shock: !

Last edited by Geronimo on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Section 8 Savages
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:32 am 

I will not copy your quote because I can remember it. "I don't want to move inot your neck of the woods." I have to ask you, who is segregating now? I would not have any problem to have you as my neighbor, as long as you are a law abiding citizen. I am white, and I have African American friends, family and neighbors. They are real people to me. You seem to be seperating yourself and your "people" from those who don't really want to be seperated. You should take a good look at what you wrote here, sir.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:54 pm 

But there are trade-offs, such as spending more time commuting to the office or ferrying the kids back and forth to swimming lessons. And with gasoline creeping steadily toward $4 a gallon, you wonder: where's the tipping point?

http://www.madison.com/tct/opinion/column/ivey/281654

I know what I wrote and I have lived in dullsville before and I don't care for it.

It' looks like I might not have any alternative and may have to move there were there are no sidewalks and it floods and no public transportation and every thing is so far away.

Last edited by Geronimo on Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:33 pm 

So it is that Section 8 has, sadly, been a recipe for tension between social classes and the races. Of course, a great many voucher holders do their best to work hard and play by the rules. My point here: the rules do not encourage them to work hard and the program's side effects tend to alienate even traditional working class Democratic constituencies.

http://www.manhattan-institute.org/html ... -24-06.htm

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:37 pm 

Culture is a learned behavior, no need to waste funds on a lawyer, start bring pressure on the landlord. You’re coming close to sounding like the folks that pull up stakes based on ethnicity of a changing neigborhood. Don’t lower your standards bring a few folks up to yours. The area will be better for it.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:42 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:01 am 

Oh my, do you mean work for a living like most people have to do. A tranquilizer was introduced in the 60's. It is called welfare. I don't care if you have to flip sliders, you should have to work for a living if you are able to do so. Then, there would be more money and assistance to those who really need it.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:20 am 

As I sit here right now (I'm not saying where) I am looking at the rear of a Section 8 three story building. Probably 9 units. In the rear lot are new Cadillacs, newish SUV's, and a few other nice cars. What's wrong with this picture? Many of them are owned by men or "uncles" who spend the night, and don't live there. Of the eight vehicles in the parking lot, five (5) of them have Illinois plates. Ok, I am in Indiana, right now.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 11:59 am 

Amen, sister! That is what they are trying to combat. They are not trying to get "the black folk". There are groups of people who have abused the system, and they want to keep doing that. They need to be made to work! I am tired of the lazy trying to hide behind every issue they can drum up just so they don't have to work. Seems that I am not the only one by far.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 6:56 pm 

There are plenty of section 8 housing units in Crown Point. It is not just a north county problem. I couldn't agree with you more G. The police are constantly called to these areas for drugs and fights. There should be quite a few stipulations for receiving & keeping these waivers. If a waiver is say worth $800, if you are arrested once it goes down to $600. If you are arrested a second time, it goes down to $400 and so on. If you are convicted and don't go to jail, it goes down even more. Pretty soon the the landlords would be forced to keep the riff raff out because it won't be profitable to them.

I applaud you for wanting to do something about the system rather than pull up your stakes and run. Pressure has to be put on the elected officials too and so far the ones that keep getting re-elected, don't do anything. It's time to put people in office who aren't for entitlements.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:20 am 

Princess_Leia wrote:
There are plenty of section 8 housing units in Crown Point. It is not just a north county problem. I couldn't agree with you more G. The police are constantly called to these areas for drugs and fights. There should be quite a few stipulations for receiving & keeping these waivers. If a waiver is say worth $800, if you are arrested once it goes down to $600. If you are arrested a second time, it goes down to $400 and so on. If you are convicted and don't go to jail, it goes down even more. Pretty soon the the landlords would be forced to keep the riff Raff out because it won't be profitable to them.

I applaud you for wanting to do something about the system rather than pull up your stakes and run. Pressure has to be put on the elected officials too and so far the ones that keep getting re-elected, don't do anything. It's time to put people in office who aren't for entitlements.

We all of the working class want peace an harmony!

Last edited by Geronimo on Sat May 31, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:20 am 

Princess_Leia wrote:
There are plenty of section 8 housing units in Crown Point. It is not just a north county problem. I couldn't agree with you more G. The police are constantly called to these areas for drugs and fights. There should be quite a few stipulations for receiving & keeping these waivers. If a waiver is say worth $800, if you are arrested once it goes down to $600. If you are arrested a second time, it goes down to $400 and so on. If you are convicted and don't go to jail, it goes down even more. Pretty soon the the landlords would be forced to keep the riff raff out because it won't be profitable to them.

Here's an idea, and I know it's been mentioned before. Have the holder of the Voucher, the person registered to Public Aid, submit to drug tests every three months.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:55 pm 

In south suburban Chicago, with one of the highest concentrations of voucher holders in the country, middle-class African-American residents complain that they thought they'd left the ghetto behind—only to find that the federal government is subsidizing it to follow them. Vikkey Perez of Richton Park, Illinois, owner of Nubian Beauty Supply, fears that the small signs of disorder that have come with voucher tenants—the unmown lawns and shopping carts left in the street—could undermine the neighborhood. "Their life-style," she says, "doesn't blend with our suburban life-style." Kevin Moore, a hospital administrator and homeowner in nearby Hazelcrest, complains that children in voucher homes go unsupervised. Boom boxes play late at night. "I felt like I was back on the West Side," he says, referring to the Chicago ghetto where he grew up. "You have to remember how to act tough."

In South Philadelphia's Irish and Italian neighborhoods, which have seen an influx of voucher holders, elected officials report being inundated with constituent complaints—and watching white constituents move out of the neighborhood. The area's state representative, William Keller, describes how owners of row houses suddenly find that "the house next door is being rented to people whose kids are up all night, who are out in the street yelling 'M-F' this and 'M-F' that. It's like they're trying to find the worst people." The issue, he says, "isn't race; it's class."

In Maryland's Prince George's County, an area of the Washington, D.C., suburbs with a large concentration of middle-class black residents, hundreds of voucher tenants—many of whom come from Washington, since vouchers are portable from one jurisdiction to another—do not pay their utility bills or their required 30 percent share of the rent. "We're very concerned about the program," says Mary Lou McDonough of the Prince George's Housing Authority, which doles out the vouchers. The Authority is concerned about more than non-payment. Unlike most such agencies, it screens its voucher applicants, and it finds that some of the households have criminal records—including, recently, a murder conviction. Every year, the authority boots out 25 or 30 voucher holders for brand-new crimes, usually drug-related.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/10_4_l ... using.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:51 am 

Section 8 Housing - Good for Landlords?

Certainly there are deserving people who could use help with their housing, however it is difficult enough being a landlord without having to take on the burden of many section 8 clients. Under section 8 your property has to get inspected to be sure it is up to code- fair enough,but this will cost you money for typically petty items that do not necesarily make your property unsafe. Additionally the government does not always pay the full amount of your rent- the tenant is supposed to make up the difference. If you get stuck with a low life tenant don’t expect them to come up with thier portion of the monthly rent, and there is little chance that you will be able to get them out. My advice to you would be to stay away from section 8.

http://allfinancialmatters.com/2008/03/ ... landlords/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:38 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GaVwBrSS_o

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next