Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: moving to Munster?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:51 am 

Hi there,

my boyfriend and I are probably going to move to the Northwest Indiana area later this year. We're not quite sure where to yet, but one of the places we're seriously considering is Munster (convenient from commuting perspective for both of us, seems nice, low crime-rate, etc.).

I was wondering if any of you could give me any insight into what Munster is like and whether you'd recommend it, in particular:

Do you feel safe?
Is it convenient for shopping/restaurants?
Are there any (safe) parks for running/biking?
How long would it take to drive to the Hammond train station, the one for the Chicago commuter train (mapquest says ~10-15 mins, but it doesn't know about traffic)?
Any scoop on the Hammond train station, is it safe or just so-so?
What is there to do in Munster? What is the community like? Is it a welcoming place..? Is it kid-friendly?

Thanks so much for your replies!! We will probably come check it out before long, but it would be great to get some inside information...

kathrin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:02 pm 

I moved here from Chicago a few years ago. There isn't much to do here as far as socially, however, it is a safe, quiet area. Seems to be kid-friendly.

I still work downtown Chicago, and I drive there daily. It's about a 45 minute commute. The commute to the southshore line is about 10-15 minutes.

Not much shopping in the area, but there's plenty in neighboring areas, all within an acceptable distance.

Townhall is a bit much to deal with, that would be my only complaint.

J

Post subject: East Chicago South Shore Line Security
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:49 pm 

Since it looks like the Indy/East Chicago Station is the station for those living in Munster I wonder if people might comment on the safety if they are commuters.

It has its own police station and seems to have police patrol cars in the lot at rush hour times and into the evening. Has this been a safe station to use before 9 am and after 8 pm. I checked the Times and saw no reports one way or another.

Also, it seems the Hammond lots fill up but the East Chicago lot is so big that it often has cars even after 10 am. :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:43 pm 

I beg you, my name is Sylvio (though not really), if you plan on having children, don't move to munster. I promise you, it'll be the worst decision you ever make. Please. Check out what I posted, it's very common. If you have a daughter, her life will be ruined.

Sylvio

Post subject: Munster is Safe and a Great Place
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:03 pm 

The Munster schools, police, parks, and places to eat and play are all top notch for Indiana, and the city is one of the best educated and one of the highest income towns in the state of Indiana. It is a wonderful place with parks, hospitals, and golf courses - all the things needed to make a great life. These things are not common in Munster - the crime reports are available online and at the Police Station if anyone is interested. It is probably the best place to live in Northwest Indiana. :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:01 am 

We are new to Munster from the south suburbs of IL. We moved here about 13 months ago, partially for my job, but mainly because we really loved the area.

The schools here are wonderful, there are plenty of nice parks, and the crime rate is quite low. Munster homes cost a little more than other surrounding communities, but when we looked at houses in the Orland Park area as well as DuPage County (IL), we would have paid anywhere from $40K to $80K for the exact same home, so it's a bargain compared to IL. Taxes here are also lower.

I looked for Sylvio's comments about how terrible the town is for children, and could not find it. I will say this---- I am a teacher, and I have worked at high schools in several surrounding towns. None of them offer the types of opportunities that Munster does. Munster kids might have (an ill-informed) reputation for being rich snobs who compete to have the best wardrobe and best car, but when other schools have daily fistfights in the halls, students carrying weapons, and graduating seniors who cannot read, it seems the least of many evils.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:18 am 

Moved here from the Chicago area as well.

Without a doubt, Munster is the best place in the region to live. Hands down.

Top notch schools and city services. Relatively safe. And compared to Illinois, an incredible bang for your buck.

If you're coming here for nightlife, entertainment or shopping, you may want to reconsider. But if you're looking for a place to raise a family, Munster is almost impossible to beat in Indiana.

As for shopping and restaurants, well, Oakbrook and the city are each about 40 minutes away. Orland Park is only 25 minutes or so.

Oh yes, VERY kid friendly. I was absolutely amazed at the amount of recreational programs available for kids here and the quality of their facilities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:27 am 

tmsmith wrote:
We are new to Munster from the south suburbs of IL.
The schools here are wonderful, there are plenty of nice parks, and the crime rate is quite low. Munster homes cost a little more than other surrounding communities, but when we looked at houses in the Orland Park area as well as DuPage County (IL), we would have paid anywhere from $40K to $80K for the exact same home, so it's a bargain compared to IL. Taxes here are also lower.

We looked at Du Page as well. The two year old 2. 400 sq ft home with a 1/3 acre lot I bought in Munster would have run me appx 800-900K in Western Springs, Clarendon Hills, or Hinsdale. Not to mention that I would have paid more than double in taxes. And that I probably would have never found a lot as big.

And I'm also sure Munster is a better high school than LT, although I'm not sure that its better than Hinsdale Central.

Post subject: Re: East Chicago South Shore Line Security
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:23 am 

ChicagoValpo wrote:
Since it looks like the Indy/East Chicago Station is the station for those living in Munster I wonder if people might comment on the safety if they are commuters.

It has its own police station and seems to have police patrol cars in the lot at rush hour times and into the evening. Has this been a safe station to use before 9 am and after 8 pm. I checked the Times and saw no reports one way or another.

Also, it seems the Hammond lots fill up but the East Chicago lot is so big that it often has cars even after 10 am. :?:

My wife uses the Hegewisch station. saves appx $30.00/month on her commuter pass. Huge lot next to the Burger King. No security issues whatsoever. Probably takes about the same amount of time to get to as the East Chicago lot. Whats unsafe about the E Chicago station? Looks ok to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:27 pm 

Munster is absolutely a great place to live. I grew up here, and I live here now, too. Munster High School was a great high school when I went there back in the 1980s. It still is one of the best in the states. Munster is a great place to raise a family, and it is very safe, IMO. It's also close to many attractions, such as Downtown Chicago, Star Plaza, etc. I would encourage anyone who was looking for a nice place to live to consider Munster, especially if you are considering having a family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:17 am 

^^^^^^

As a relative newcomer, that's what I think also. Especially if you consider the taxes and cost of living in Munster as opposed to comparable places in Illinois. A comparable suburb in Illinois would cost me at least twice as much in taxes.

Granted, Munster is geographically a bit out of the way, and the dining and nightlife may not be on par with some other areas in Illinois, but those are sacrificies I would gladly make for the sake of my children. I can always get in my car and drive to the city or Oakbrook the few times a month I'm looking to go out and/or get something to eat.