Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Online commenters not protected
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:11 pm 

I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's good to have anominity when reporting on things that are being covered up but on the other hand the anominity allows for people to make false acusations. How do you all feel about this ruling?

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/govt ... 5b8b7.html

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be ... The People cannot be safe without information. When the press is free, and every man is able to read, all is safe. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: Online commenters not protected
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:39 am 

celtic1950 wrote:
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's good to have anominity when reporting on things that are being covered up but on the other hand the anominity allows for people to make false acusations. How do you all feel about this ruling?

There are 2 sides to this, one bad, one good. The bad is that people are not free to speak their minds. The good is that posters like sparkless are no longer protected from their slander.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:05 pm 

I don't have a problem with it at all...I sure some of the cons may though...Just look at some of the things they have accused anyone here that is not a rethuglican of being or doing...comes to mind...Lois Lane...SuzyQ...Moby...Arc...the banned tmr9 and all his incarnations...look what they have said that some of the posters are or have accused them of doing or being..

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:01 pm 

As the opinion reads this was a discovery dispute wherein the the Indianapolis Star was subpoenaed by a party to defamation. Absent a lawsuit for defamation, in principle, anonymity is preserved. The Indiana appellate ruling noted there are two types of defamatory speech in Indiana: defamation per se and defamation per quod. Baker v. Tremco, 917 N.E.2d 650, 657 (Ind. 2009).

In the language of the court:

"This case addresses whether a non-party news organization can be compelled to disclose to a plaintiff who has filed a defamation lawsuit the identity of one such anonymous commenter.

"...we adopt a modified version of the Dendrite test, requiring the plaintiff to produce prima facie evidence of every element of his defamation claim that does not depend on the commenter’s identity before the news organization is compelled to disclose that identity. With this test being called the most speech-protective standard that has been articulated and neither party advocating a different test, we adopt the modified version of the Dendrite test under the Indiana Constitution as well.

"Although raised by neither party, when a third-party entity, such as a newspaper, is subpoenaed to reveal the identity of an anonymous commenter who has used that third party as a forum for his anonymous speech, the third-party has standing to contest the subpoena under the principle of jus tertii. McVicker v. King, 266 F.R.D. 92, 95 (W.D. Pa. 2010). This is so because 'the relationship between [the newspaper] and readers posting in the [n]ewspaper’s online forums is the type of relationship that allows [the newspaper] to assert the First Amendment rights of the anonymous commentators.'

"Further, courts have found that (1) anonymous commenters face practical problems contesting the subpoena themselves, as doing so would require them to reveal their identities; (2) newspapers involved in these types of cases have suffered an adequate injury-in-fact to meet Article III’s case or controversy requirements; and (3) the newspaper will zealously argue the issues before the court.

As a result, The Star has standing to argue these First Amendment issues on behalf of 'DownWithTheColts.'”

Likewise it appears under the test instituted above, a newspaper has the standing to argue it our your behalf, too, should it decide to take up your cause.

But for me the issue is what is the news publication's duty with respect to complying with the Dendrite test?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:23 am 

Tiger1 wrote:
celtic1950 wrote:

There are 2 sides to this, one bad, one good. The bad is that people are not free to speak their minds. The good is that posters like sparkless are no longer protected from their slander.

Being honest isn't slander. Still waiting to be served with that lawsuit you claimed you were filing against me months ago.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:20 am 

splirks wrote:
Being honest isn't slander

So pointing out that splirks is a fat pansy who likes to pick on women isn't slander because it's the truth?

Very cool.... :D

Thanks... :smt006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:38 pm 

USMarine wrote:
splirks wrote:

So pointing out that splirks is a fat pansy who likes to pick on women isn't slander because it's the truth?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 pm 

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
celtic1950 wrote:

Being honest isn't slander. Still waiting to be served with that lawsuit you claimed you were filing against me months ago.

I said I COULD file. You lost your protection. Keep it up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:35 pm 

USMarine wrote:
splirks wrote:

LOL !!! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:10 am 

celtic1950 wrote:

Tiger1 wrote:

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:

I said I COULD file. You lost your protection. Keep it up.

It's your lie, tell it any way you want to. Here is your exact quote.
Tiger1 wrote:
I am NOT on the public dole. If you continue your slander, there will be consequences.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:29 am 

sparks wrote:
I'm hungry.

:shock: :smt006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:15 am 

USMarine wrote:
sparks wrote:
I'm hungry.

:shock: :smt006

LOL !!! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:45 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
I don't have a problem with it at all...I sure some of the cons may though...Just look at some of the things they have accused anyone here that is not a rethuglican of being or doing...comes to mind...Lois Lane...SuzyQ...Moby...Arc...the banned tmr9 and all his incarnations...look what they have said that some of the posters are or have accused them of doing or being..
I love how this fool names me first...why is that Chuck?