Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Crown Point taps Redevelopment Commission for $300,000
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:29 pm 

Crown Point taps Redevelopment Commission for $300,000

CROWN POINT — In a special meeting slated for Monday, the city’s Redevelopment Commission is expected to approve $300,000 to help fund the North Street Improvement Project.

The commission deferred an initial request June 13 after members said they would prefer to see a breakdown of the commission’s available funds before committing the money.

“I think it’s a good project,” commission member Robert Corbin said. “I would just feel more comfortable if we had the whole budget in front of us.”

The overall cost of the project is $1.5 million, City Engineer Tris Miles said. The lion’s share is coming from a $900,000 federal highway grant secured through U.S. Rep. Pete Visclosky, D-Merrillville.

“That leaves us $600,000 short,” Miles said, adding that the city can use some existing money, such as $231,655 in unused road funds.

Miles has said the additional appropriation was needed to help complete the project, which includes resurfacing the street, curbs and driveways, and sanitary sewer work, storm and street drainage improvements. Additionally, the intersection at
the city’s sportsplex needs signals, Miles said.

In some areas along North Street that don’t need a third lane, some asphalt will be replaced with a decorative island. Some utility poles too close to the street will be relocated, as well.

The project runs from Interstate 65 to Indiana Avenue.

“We did a little research, and in 2008 the commission voted on a list of projects eligible for redevelopment funds,” Miles said.

Miles said the timing is critical because the city plans to install a traffic signal at the main entrance to the sportsplex before that project is substantially completed, it hopes in August.

“There’s a long lead time to order them,” he said.

The sportsplex project must still undergo some environmental impact studies and won’t be totally completed for another year and a half, Miles said.

“It’s going to be cool when we’re done,” he said.

“I just want to see a current statement of finances so I could see the impact it would have,” Corbin said of the commission.

“I wanted to be able to look at that, especially in light of the fact that the city’s financial consultant is working with the city Monday on city work, not just redevelopment issues,” he said.

City officials have a meeting scheduled with city financial adviser Greg Guerrettaz on Monday before the Redevelopment Commission meeting.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke