Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Happy Anniversary for Famous Speech?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:57 am 

On this date in 1775 in St. Johns, VA Patrick Henry delivered that famous speech - "Give me liberty or give me death." How ironic that on this date President Obama will sign a law forcing every man, woman, and child to buy insurance whether they wish to or not. Some are calling this law illegal and a theft of liberty.

In case your history book "revised" this speech out and you never heard of it here is the quote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Give_me_Li ... e_me_Death!

"Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" is a famous quotation attributed to Patrick Henry from a speech he made in a court hearing on March 23, 1775, at St. John's Church in Richmond, Virginia, and is credited with having swung the balance in convincing the Virginia House of Burgesses to pass a resolution delivering the Virginia troops to the Revolutionary War. Among the delegates to the convention were future US Presidents Thomas Jefferson and George Washington. Reportedly, those in attendance, upon hearing the speech, shouted, "To arms! To arms!"[1]

"It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace — but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.