Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: ClimateGate reveals 'questionable scientific practices'
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:55 pm 

crack me up:
Record warm weather in Vancouver for Olympics Tue Feb 2, 5:14 PM

MONTREAL (AFP) - Winter Olympic host city Vancouver saw its warmest January on record, marked by a lack of snow and daffodils in bloom just days before the start of the Games, the Meteorologist Service of Canada said Tuesday.

The mean temperature reached 7.2 degrees Celsius (45 degrees Fahrenheit), up from a norm of 3.3 degrees for the month, meteorologist Matthew MacDonald, reached by telephone at the Vancouver airport, told AFP.

The previous record high of 6.3 degrees was reached four times, most recently in 2006.

Vancouver saw 13 days in which temperatures went above 10 degrees (50 degrees Fahrenheit) far more than the statistical average of three days. The mercury rose as high as 14.1 degrees and did not fall below -2.7 degrees.

Equally alarming, the city did not get any snow throughout the month, while it normally records 16.6 centimetres (6.5 inches) of snowfall in January. Instead the city and the Olympic venues have been drenched with rain, worrying Games officials, athletes and fans alike.

"It feels more like March or April, weather-wise," MacDonald said.

The mild January was partly due to the warm weather phenomenon known as El Nino that has swept over Vancouver since the beginning of winter, he added.

El Nino is a cyclical warming of ocean waters in the Equatorial Pacific which has consequences for weather around the world.

From now until the opening of the Olympics on February 12, temperatures are forecast to remain slightly above normal, with less rain, MacDonald said.

Currently there is only snow at higher mountain elevations, and even there Games organizers had to move 300 truck-loads of snow to two courses on Cypress Mountain, on the city's edge, that will host snowboarding and freestyle skiing.

Last week, British Columbia officials insisted Games organizers were doing everything possible to ensure the Olympic competition areas would be up to standard.

Other outdoor events are to be held about 100 kilometres (62 miles) to the north at the Whistler ski resort, where 10 metres (33 feet) of snow have fallen so far this season, while all of the events taking place in Vancouver, such as ice hockey or figure skating, are to be held indoors.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 7:50 pm 

Well done, hatemonger540...!!!

You found the only place on the ENTIRE planet not suffering from record cold and snow.

There might be one or two other places and I'm sure hatemonger540 is going to scour the internet to find them just because he likes me...he really likes me. :smt007

That is too funny.. :smt006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:15 pm 

USMarine wrote:
Well done, hatemonger540...!!!

You found the only place on the ENTIRE planet not suffering from record cold and snow.

There might be one or two other places and I'm sure hatemonger540 is going to scour the internet to find them just because he likes me...he really likes me. :smt007

That is too funny.. :smt006

Hawaii is the ONLY one of the 50 states that does not have snow right now. I guess Edge can use that for an example. :P

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:59 pm 

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:24 pm 

crack me up even more:

Warm, wet weather forces Vancouver Olympics officials to postpone men's downhill
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Saturday, February 13th 2010, 11:01 AM

Weather is playing havoc with the opening alpine skiing events at the Vancouver Olympics. Related NewsFor Fisher, getting back on skis is crash courseBondy: U.S. Olympians favorites to kick ice at GamesPoor weather postpones men's downhillBlizzard threatens to snow under weekend's Alpine skiing eventsHeartache rains on Opening CeremonyWHISTLER, British Columbia - The Vancouver Olympics are only hours old, and already the first two races on the Alpine skiing schedule have been postponed because of warm, wet weather that's turned the slopes to mush.

The competition-opening men's downhill was called off in the wee hours of Saturday morning, about 7 1/2 hours before its scheduled 11:45 a.m. PST start.

The women's super-combined event, originally planned for Sunday, had been postponed Friday afternoon.

Neither race has been rescheduled. And with only one of six downhill training runs for men and women completed as planned so far, there are plenty of questions about how the sport will unfold at these Winter Games.

When will the women finally get to train? When will the nearly constant rain ease? When will the thick fog clear? When will the temperature drop to winterlike levels? When will the soft, unsafe snow be ready for racing?

On and on it goes.

Repeated snow, rain, fog and too-warm temperatures in the 40s have created slopes that are too dangerous to be used for high-speed skiing. The International Ski Federation said early Saturday that snow and rain throughout the night, along with expected mild temperatures, made for poor skiing conditions.

The forecast for the weekend called for a mix of rain, sleet and snow.

"It's an outdoor sport, and there's always uncertainty," Peter Bosinger, who oversees Alpine skiing at the Vancouver Olympics, said Friday, before the downhill was scratched. "We can't predict the weather - and we can't make changes to the schedule until we see where the opportunities to reschedule are."

The next men's team captains' meeting was scheduled for Sunday evening, probably meaning the downhill will not be raced that day, because events generally are not held without going over plans the night before. Instead, officials likely will try to get women's training in Sunday, and push the men's downhill to Monday, at the earliest.

At least there are days sprinkled through the schedule with no races on tap, allowing for changes along the way. That's done by design, because weather problems are nothing new to Alpine events at the Olympics - or to skiing in general.

At the 2006 Turin Games, for example, the women's super-G race was pushed back 24 hours, and the combined event was split over two days. The start of Alpine skiing at the 1998 Nagano Olympics was delayed for two days, while the men's and women's downhills were both postponed at the 1984 Sarajevo Games.

Vancouver Alpine women's race director Atle Skaardal made the case Friday that it would be unrealistic to expect to carry out the
program on schedule at Whistler.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_ ... z0fRvJrJpY

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:30 pm 

LMAO...!!!!!

They should have held it in Washington D.C.

:smt005 :smt003 :smt006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:44 pm 

Tiger1 wrote:

Hawaii is the ONLY one of the 50 states that does not have snow right now.

So?...yes, that means what?...your superior scientific mind interprets this how?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:46 pm 

hatemonger540 wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
[

So?...that means what?...your superior scientific mind interprets this how?

I'm pretty sure Tiger is just mocking you because you sound like such a fool so much of the time.

Now you know.

:smt005 :smt006

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:53 pm 

Tiger1 wrote:
Hawaii is the ONLY one of the 50 states that does not have snow right now. I guess Edge can use that for an example. :P

Hawaii has snow it is at the peak of Mauna Kea.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:31 pm 

My bad, Arc.
Even some of the so-called scientists that have been preaching the Global Warming crap, have said that we are in a "temporary cooling period", which translates into "covering our lying tails". IMO, the earth is going into it's regular cycles, and we are going into another ice age.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:37 pm 

edge540 wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:

So?...yes, that means what?...your superior scientific mind interprets this how?

It means that 49 out of Barry's 57 states have snow right now.

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:50 am 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:56 am 

crack me up

Quote:
Weather Condition Forces Officials To Cancell 28,000 Olympics Tickets

Vancouver Olympics officials have taken the drastic step of canceling 20,000 more general admission standing room tickets for events at Cypress Mountain.

Unstable and unsafe is how vice president of ticketing Caley Denton described the conditions where standing room spectators would be walking around and watching the snowboard and freestyle skiing events.

He told reporters it's all a result of rain and warm weather. "We've dropped straw and different things underneath the courses and then put snow over top. We started out with a considerable amount of snow that everyone felt really comfortable with. And now on the edges, outside the field of play where we would have spectators standing in large numbers, the snow has washed away to the point where people can punch through and potentially step in between a place where there are two big straw bales, and you know that becomes a pretty deep crack where we've had people going down up to their knees or in some cases even farther," Denton explained.

Denton said it was not worth the risk of injuring spectators. The first two days of standing room tickets totaling 8,000 were canceled Sunday night. With warmer than usual weather continuing, 20,000 more tickets were canceled covering events at Cypress Mountain through next week.

Fans can get refunds for their canceled tickets, which had cost $50 to $65. Denton said the revenue lost will be about $1.5 million, but he emphasized that safety comes first...

Last edited by edge540 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:58 am 

I would just love to hear my BFF :smt007 hatemonger540 explain WHY it is so warm in Vancouver.

I'm sure he is "educted" enough to explain it......yes?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:16 pm 

Climate scientists withdraw claims of rising sea levels

P.J. O'Rourke

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 21  Next