Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: ClimateGate reveals 'questionable scientific practices'
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:18 pm 

edge540 wrote:
Holy crap is it winter?

Yep.

And that is all that it is.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:51 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:

...and if had ever read about the effects of the warming to the planet you would have found out that things like this will become more common...Global Warming does not necessarily equate to warmer temps for everyone...

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:35 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:

...and if had ever read about the effects of the warming to the planet you would have found out that things like this will become more common...Global Warming does not necessarily equate to warmer temps for everyone...

Especially when it doesn't help your argument, that is why they switched from calling it "global warming", to refer to it as "climate change" that way any weather anomaly could be used to support their argument.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:17 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
chuckmo48 wrote:
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:

Especially when it doesn't help your argument, that is why they switched from calling it "global warming", to refer to it as "climate change" that way any weather anomaly could be used to support their argument.

Climate change is the result of global warming...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:59 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
Climate change is the result of global warming...[/color]

Yeah...and you are casting your vote for Gingrich in the Republican primary.

It's all very above board and respectable.[/s]

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:22 pm 

The Global Warming Hoax is Now Killing People

Quote:
By Friday, February 10th, an estimated 500 Europeans had died from the freezing weather gripping the continent. This is the price they and British citizens are paying for embracing the global warming hoax, spending billions for wind power when they should have been building coal-fired and other sources of energy to heat their homes and businesses.

As the British daily, The Telegraph, reported on Friday, “Serbia has started implementing power cuts in a desperate bid to stave off the collapse of its national grid as the country suffers the effects of days of freezing temperatures.”

I and others have been warning for years that the Earth has been cooling since 1998 and that the planet is on the cusp of a new ice age because the average length of an interglacial period of warmth between such ages is now coming to an end after the passage of some 11,500 years.

All aspects of global warming legislation and spending programs must be utterly reversed if we are not going to see huge losses of life and the disruption of entire economies

http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/44602

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:50 pm 

Today is Feb 17, 2012 and it's 50 degrees. Retarded conservatives still think it's a hoax.

Plains shatter warm weather records, set historic high temperatures
By Jason Samenow
High temperature records tied and broken across the U.S. Thursday (National Climatic Data Center) More than 300 record high temperatures were set in 21 U.S. states Thursday. But the heart of the unusual warmth concentrated in Plains, where some areas experienced temperatures 40 degrees above average.

Several locations set all-time January record high temperatures, including Huron (65 degrees) amd Mitchell (68 degrees) in South Dakota (SD) and Minot (61 degrees), Fargo (55 degrees) and Jamestown (56 degrees) in North Dakota. (Source: CapitalClimate).

What distinguishes this warm spell is the amount by which some records were broken. Consider Rapid City, SD hit 73, obliterating the old record by 13 degrees. (That 73 degree high temperature was 4 above the high temperature of 69 in Miami, Fl). Aberdeen, SD reached 63, smashing the old record of 46 by 17 degrees and setting a new monthly record.

AccuWeather highlighted the following incredible record: “...in Philip, S.D., the mercury reached a balmy 74 degrees, which absolutely obliterated the old record of 46 set back in 2002.”

In Minnesota, several locations reached the 60s for the first time ever during the first week of January. Alexandria reached 55, crushing its old record of 38 (from 1984) by an amazing 17 degrees (source: Star Tribune weather blog)

In Nebraska, record highs were set in Omaha (66), North Platte (69), Valentine (69) and Imperial (73, source: USA Today, AP). Sidney Nebraska’s record high of 74 broke the previous record of 62 and tied its monthly record.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cap ... _blog.html

Plants Blooming Early From Unseasonably Warm Weather

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – The calendar may say February, but it doesn’t feel like it. Temperatures are expected to hit 60 degrees today and while that’s good for us, it may not bode well for early blooming plants.

On this date last year, the Tri-state area was covered with a quarter of an inch of ice and temperatures were in the 20s. But lately we’ve experiencing 50 and 60 degree temperatures and most people aren’t complaining.
“A very unusual winter, it’s been very warm and this one is one of the most mild I can remember,” said one man from Saddle River, N.J.

“I don’t really miss freezing and having a lot of snow,” said Manhattan resident Cheryl Smith Franco.

“It’s Mother Nature,” said Madeline Byrne from Dobbs Ferry. ”There’s nothing you can do about it so you just enjoy it.”

But Mother Nature may be a little confused by the spring-like warmth.

At the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx, Japanese apricot trees are in full bloom along with the yellow Adonis plants and azaleas.

The early bloom could make it tough for these plants to survive if we eventually get hit with a dose of winter weather.

“If it gets really cold, single digits at night for days, all the buds will just die,” said Kristin Schleiter with the Botanical Garden. “If it’s a once-blooming plant and it’s their flower bud, they’re gone until next spring

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:13 pm 

Retarded conservatives still think it's a hoax.

Heartland Institute leak shows climate change skeptics are playing the public
The nation’s leading skeptics of climate change science were dealt a blow this week when hundreds of private internal documents — detailing donors, spending and the group’s anti-science strategy — were leaked to the public.

The documents betrayed the inner workings of the Heartland Institute, the most vocal of U.S. climate change “deniers” who, despite decades of scientific data proving that the Earth’s climate is warming, promote skepticism and doubt.

The leak is the smoking gun that climate scientists have been waiting for — and should be a warning to anyone who buys into the idea that “global warming is just a theory.”

You’re being played.

The Heartland Institute’s key strategy has been to create doubt in the American public by saying that climate change is a controversial, unproven theory.

The truth is that, while climate scientists might disagree over minor points, there is no controversy: Every major scientific organization agrees that climate change is real and that human activity has a direct impact.

IN GOOD COMPANY
Not all scientists agree the climate change threat is real, but if you’re keeping score, it’s not even close. Here is a sampling of scientific organizations that believe the planet is warming up because of human actions, affecting us today and with more dire consequences for generations to come:

Among the leaked secrets is proof that the oil-rich Koch brothers (who have backed climate-denier Newt Gingrich’s presidential campaign) donated $200,000 to the Heartland Institute in 2011 and had given before. Their involvement supports the belief that the Heartland Institute is a shill for oil companies that have a huge profit motive in dirty fossil fuels.

The most revealing documents, however, lay out Heartland’s plans to spend $100,000 to build an anti-climate change curriculum for schools that “shows that the topic of climate change is controversial and uncertain — two key points that are effective at dissuading teachers from teaching science.”

There’s your smoking gun.

Educators have found that climate change deniers use a strategy identical to those who want creationism taught alongside evolution in science classes: Ignore the science and teach the debate, as if the simple act of disagreeing with scientific fact is educationally significant.

Science deniers want you to believe theirs is honest disagreement, when, in fact, it’s deliberate ignorance. That’s the same pseudoscience that leads parents to opt out of vaccinations for their children or oppose fluoride in drinking water. The stakes in climate change are much higher — planetary, in fact.

Scientific data aren’t an opinion open to debate. Scientific data can be challenged — with new scientific data. But challenging science with opinion is like challenging math. You can’t “honestly disagree” with 2+2=4 simply because you would rather believe it equals 3. Or 37.

The rejection of science for pseudoscience is at the heart of America’s so-called culture wars. With each of the major Republican candidates for president declaring his own scientific “beliefs” on the campaign trail — climate change and evolution are theories, stem cell research is abortion — they’ve lent a conservative legitimacy to their skepticism.

The danger in this culture of skepticism is that it will become a “culture of ignorance,” as author Isaac Asimov described it: a “thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’ ”

http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page/2 ... shows.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:20 pm 

edge540 wrote:
Heartland Institute leak shows climate change skeptics are playing the public
The leak is the smoking gun that climate scientists have been waiting for — and should be a warning to anyone who buys into the idea that “global warming is just a theory.”

chuckmo48 wrote:
New Federal Planting Map Reflects Warming
Quote:
The government's colorful map of planting zones is being updated for a warmer 21st century.

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Copper Basin 300 canceled because of 'impassible' trail conditions
FAIRBANKS — The Copper Basin 300 sled dog race is the latest victim of Alaska’s weird winter weather pattern as race officials canceled the event Sunday morning, less than a day after the race started.

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Snow falls in Rome for first time in 26 years

"Move along...Nothing to see here!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm 

More Americans believe in climate change: poll
Quote:
Nearly two-thirds of Americans believe that climate change is real -- the highest level in two years -- as the public trusted its own observations of rising temperatures, a poll said Tuesday.

Quote:
Sixty-two percent of Americans agree that there is solid evidence that the Earth's average temperature has been getting warmer over the past four decades, according to the survey by the University of Michigan's Gerald Ford School of Public Policy and the Muhlenberg College Institute of Public Opinion.

http://news.yahoo.com/more-americans-believe-climate-change-poll-002821919.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:06 am 

Quote:
While the majority of Americans believe there is solid evidence that our planet is warming, fewer currently view it as a serious issue than just five years ago. What’s more, as presidential candidates take the stage to declare their beliefs — or lack thereof — on climate change, they echo the sentiments of their respective political parties, which are increasingly more divided.

American Public Viewpoints

A recent Pew Research Center survey of 2,001 adults indicates that in 2011, 63 percent of Americans saw evidence of global warming, and while that number increased from 59 percent in 2010, the overall consensus dropped from 77 percent in 2006. Yet the bigger issue for environmentalists is that although most Americans cite global warming as a very or somewhat serious problem, the fact is that fewer people today — 38 percent — view global warming as a very serious matter, in contrast to 43 percent in 2006.

http://ecoaffect.org/2012/02/22/what-do ... fographic/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:17 pm 

Report: No Global Warming For 17 Years, Temps At Their Coldest Point

Paging RFK Jr.

No Warming For 17 Years — Game, Set, Match — Real Science

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:55 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Report: No Global Warming For 17 Years, Temps At Their Coldest Point

No Warming For 17 Years — Game, Set, Match — Real Science

Take a look at the trend of that graph...going up or down....
Some more real science: (What really drives all weather is the temperature of the oceans)

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/3M_HEAT_CONTENT/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:07 pm 

Another Global Warming Prediction Bites The Dust: Polar Bear Population Not Decreasing, “Likely The Highest Level There Has Ever Been”

All that hysterical shrieking for nothing.

Quote:
The debate about climate change and its impact on polar bears has intensified with the release of a survey that shows the bear population in a key part of northern Canada is far larger than many scientists thought, and might be growing.

The number of bears along the western shore of Hudson Bay, believed to be among the most threatened bear subpopulations, stands at 1,013 and could be even higher, according to the results of an aerial survey released Wednesday by the Government of Nunavut. That’s 66 per cent higher than estimates by other researchers who forecasted the numbers would fall to as low as 610 because of warming temperatures that melt ice faster and ruin bears’ ability to hunt. The Hudson Bay region, which straddles Nunavut and Manitoba, is critical because it’s considered a bellwether for how polar bears are doing elsewhere in the Arctic.

The study shows that “the bear population is not in crisis as people believed,” said Drikus Gissing, Nunavut’s director of wildlife management. “There is no doom and gloom.”

Mr. Gissing added that the government isn’t dismissing concerns about climate change, but he said Nunavut wants to base bear-management practices on current information “and not predictions about what might happen.” [...]

Mr. Gissing said he hopes the results lead to more research and a better understanding of polar bears. He said the media in southern Canada has led people to believe polar bears are endangered. “They are not.” He added that there are about 25,000 polar bears across Canada’s Arctic. “That’s likely the highest [population level] there has ever been.”

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:34 pm 

Quote:
Temperatures in the lower 48 states were 8.6 degrees above normal for March and 6 degrees higher than average for the first three months of the year, according to calculations by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. That far exceeds the old records.

Quote:
NOAA climate scientist Gabriel Vecchi compared the increase in weather extremes to baseball players on steroids: You can't say an individual homer is because of steroids, but they are hit more often and the long-held records for home runs fall.

http://news.yahoo.com/already-very-record-breaking-hot-070315035.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 307 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next