Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 61  Next
 Post subject: Re: Damn, it feels good to be a Republican!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:41 am 

Quote:
Romney campaign enlists over 300 military generals
Human Events, by Hope Hodge

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney announced this week he was beefing up his campaign with some top brass: more than 300 retired general and flag officers, who will serve in a consultant role on his campaign’s military advisory panel.

The list, which contains more than two dozen retired four-stars, includes Gens. James Conway and Paul X Kelley, former commandants of the Marine Corps; Army Gen. Tommy Franks, who led the initial assault of the Taliban in Afghanistan following the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks and oversaw the overthrow of Saddam Hussein in 2003; and Army Gen. James Joseph Lindsay, the first commander of U.S. Special Operations Command.

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/10/18/h ... -generals/

In response to this article the the DUMBO campaign has appointed 300 gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgenders to his military advisory panel.

It looks like Mitt Romney knows what he's doing...while DUMBO lacks even the basics regarding security and intelligence.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:34 pm 

Tribune Endorsement: Too Many Mitts

Obama has earned another term

Nowhere has Mitt Romney’s pursuit of the presidency been more warmly welcomed or closely followed than here in Utah. The Republican nominee’s political and religious pedigrees, his adeptly bipartisan governorship of a Democratic state, and his head for business and the bottom line all inspire admiration and hope in our largely Mormon, Republican, business-friendly state.

But it was Romney’s singular role in rescuing Utah’s organization of the 2002 Olympics from a cesspool of scandal, and his oversight of the most successful Winter Games on record, that make him the Beehive State’s favorite adopted son. After all, Romney managed to save the state from ignominy, turning the extravaganza into a showcase for the matchless landscapes, volunteerism and efficiency that told the world what is best and most beautiful about Utah and its people.

In short, this is the Mitt Romney we knew, or thought we knew, as one of us.

Sadly, it is not the only Romney, as his campaign for the White House has made abundantly clear, first in his servile courtship of the tea party in order to win the nomination, and now as the party’s shape-shifting nominee. From his embrace of the party’s radical right wing, to subsequent portrayals of himself as a moderate champion of the middle class, Romney has raised the most frequently asked question of the campaign: "Who is this guy, really, and what in the world does he truly believe?"

The evidence suggests no clear answer, or at least one that would survive Romney’s next speech or sound bite. Politicians routinely tailor their words to suit an audience. Romney, though, is shameless, lavishing vastly diverse audiences with words, any words, they would trade their votes to hear.

More troubling, Romney has repeatedly refused to share specifics of his radical plan to simultaneously reduce the debt, get rid of Obamacare (or, as he now says, only part of it), make a voucher program of Medicare, slash taxes and spending, and thereby create millions of new jobs. To claim, as Romney does, that he would offset his tax and spending cuts (except for billions more for the military) by doing away with tax deductions and exemptions is utterly meaningless without identifying which and how many would get the ax. Absent those specifics, his promise of a balanced budget simply does not pencil out.

If this portrait of a Romney willing to say anything to get elected seems harsh, we need only revisit his branding of 47 percent of Americans as freeloaders who pay no taxes, yet feel victimized and entitled to government assistance. His job, he told a group of wealthy donors, "is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should take personal responsibility and care for their lives."

Where, we ask, is the pragmatic, inclusive Romney, the Massachusetts governor who left the state with a model health care plan in place, the Romney who led Utah to Olympic glory? That Romney skedaddled and is nowhere to be found.

And what of the president Romney would replace? For four years, President Barack Obama has attempted, with varying degrees of success, to pull the nation out of its worst financial meltdown since the Great Depression, a deepening crisis he inherited the day he took office.

In the first months of his presidency, Obama acted decisively to stimulate the economy. His leadership was essential to passage of the badly needed American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Though Republicans criticize the stimulus for failing to create jobs, it clearly helped stop the hemorrhaging of public sector jobs. The Utah Legislature used hundreds of millions in stimulus funds to plug holes in the state’s budget.
The president also acted wisely to bail out the auto industry, which has since come roaring back. Romney, in so many words, said the carmakers should sink if they can’t swim.

Obama’s most noteworthy achievement, passage of his signature Affordable Care Act, also proved, in its timing, his greatest blunder. The set of comprehensive health insurance reforms aimed at extending health care coverage to all Americans was signed 14 months into his term after a ferocious fight in Congress that sapped the new president’s political capital and destroyed any chance for bipartisan cooperation on the shredded economy.

Obama’s foreign policy record is perhaps his strongest suit, especially compared to Romney’s bellicose posture toward Russia and China and his inflammatory rhetoric regarding Iran’s nuclear weapons program. Obama’s measured reliance on tough economic embargoes to bring Iran to heel, and his equally measured disengagement from the war in Afghanistan, are examples of a nuanced approach to international affairs. The glaring exception, still unfolding, was the administration’s failure to protect the lives of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, and to quickly come clean about it.

In considering which candidate to endorse, The Salt Lake Tribune editorial board had hoped that Romney would exhibit the same talents for organization, pragmatic problem solving and inspired leadership that he displayed here more than a decade ago. Instead, we have watched him morph into a friend of the far right, then tack toward the center with breathtaking aplomb. Through a pair of presidential debates, Romney’s domestic agenda remains bereft of detail and worthy of mistrust.

Therefore, our endorsement must go to the incumbent, a competent leader who, against tough odds, has guided the country through catastrophe and set a course that, while rocky, is pointing toward a brighter day. The president has earned a second term. Romney, in whatever guise, does not deserve a first.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:45 am 

edge540 wrote:
Tribune Endorsement: Too Many Mitts

no surprise there...

that very same rag endorsed John Kerry in 04

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:55 pm 

Mourdock: God at work when rape leads to pregnancy
Quote:
NEW ALBANY, Ind. (AP) — Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock said Tuesday when a woman is impregnated during a rape, "it's something God intended."

OMG...and you rethug rubes are voting for this fool...too funny!!

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:56 pm 

Conservative Media Attack Debate Question On Pay Equity As "Feminazi" Lie, Call Questioner "Tool"
Quote:
Conservative media figures attacked debate questioner Katherine Fenton as a "feminazi" and "tool" for asking the candidates about their views on pay inequity.
Fenton asked, "In what new ways do you intend to rectify inequalities in the workplace? Specifically regarding females making only 72 percent of what their male counterparts earn."

Quote:
Michelle Malkin complained that the question was a "softball" and described the questioner as a "ladyparts tool."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/10/16/conservative-media-attack-debate-question-on-pa/190680

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
Mourdock: God at work when rape leads to pregnancy
Quote:
NEW ALBANY, Ind. (AP) — Indiana Republican Senate candidate Richard Mourdock said Tuesday when a woman is impregnated during a rape, "it's something God intended."

OMG...and you rethug rubes are voting for this fool...too funny!!

chuckmo48 wrote:
Conservative Media Attack Debate Question On Pay Equity As "Feminazi" Lie, Call Questioner "Tool"
Quote:
Conservative media figures attacked debate questioner Katherine Fenton as a "feminazi" and "tool" for asking the candidates about their views on pay inequity.
Fenton asked, "In what new ways do you intend to rectify inequalities in the workplace? Specifically regarding females making only 72 percent of what their male counterparts earn."

Quote:
Michelle Malkin complained that the question was a "softball" and described the questioner as a "ladyparts tool."

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2012/10/16/conservative-media-attack-debate-question-on-pa/190680

Hey Thanks for bumping my favorite thread!

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:43 am 

Move over Todd Akin, you're not the only batshit, crazyass, extremist loon running for the Senate.
Good to see Indiana has it's own version of the Taliban.

Quote:
Mourdock's divine rape stance could shake up Senate race

NEW ALBANY, Ind. | Republican Richard Mourdock opposes abortion even in cases of rape because such pregnancies are God's will, he claimed during Tuesday's final U.S. Senate debate.

"I struggled with it myself for a long time but I came to realize life is that gift from God, and I think even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape that it is something that God intended to happen," Mourdock said, choking back tears.

Democrat U.S. Rep. Joe Donnelly did not directly respond during the debate to Mourdock's belief in the divinity of pregnancy by rape. Donnelly said he opposes abortion but supports exceptions for rape, incest and the health of a pregnant woman.

Following the debate, Donnelly said, "The God I believe in and the God I know most Hoosiers believe in, does not intend for rape to happen — ever."

"What Mr. Mourdock said is shocking, and it is stunning that he would be so disrespectful to survivors of rape," Donnelly said.

Mourdock said after the debate his only point was, "God creates life."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:33 am 

it's a shame edge can't be a little more ''tolerant'' of those who don't take such a high and mighty stance of shredding babies to pieces as they are vacuumed from the womb as he does.

Maybe he could do that to one of his children but a lot more others can't...or won't.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:58 pm 

Being able to take a "morning after" pill after a rape doesn't have a fuc*ing thing to do with "shredding babies to pieces as they are vacuumed from the womb."
Too bad the Indiana Taliban doesn't see it that way.
Good move Mitt, supporting an extremist jackass is great idea:
Quote:
Romney disagrees with Mourdock, but still supports him
By Greg Sargent
As you’ve no doubt heard, Indiana GOP Senate candidate Richard Mourdock is generating a little attention with this claim about God and rape:

“I’ve struggled with it myself for a long time, but I came to realize that life is that gift from God,” Mourdock said. “And even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.”
Mourdock is trying to clean this up at a presser this morning. Dems, obviously, are piling on the comment, demanding that Romney rescind his support for Mourdock and insist that Mourdock take down an ad that features Romney.

But Romney will not be pulling his support for Mourdock, though he disagrees with his comments and his position. Romney spokesperson Andrea Saul emails:

Gov. Romney disagrees with Richard Mourdock, and Mr. Mourdock’s comments do not reflect Gov. Romney’s views. We disagree on the policy regarding exceptions for rape and incest but still support him.
Emphasis mine. I’m also told the Romney campaign will not ask the ad to be pulled.

This is only going to snowball from here on out. Dems and women’s groups are launching an all out attack on Mourdock’s comments, arguing that they illustrate a deeper problem within the GOP. This comes even as the battle for the female vote is intensifying, with Obama and Dems hammering Romney daily for his positions on abortion, contraception, women’s health, and pay equity, in an effort to paint the candidate and his party as hidebound, reactionary, and fundamentally untrustworthy on the issues that matter to women.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:58 am 

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:36 pm 

Right Wing Fumes As Powell Endorses Obama

October 25th, 2012 Henry Decker

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell endorsed President Barack Obama for re-election this morning, crossing party lines — and setting off an ugly reaction from the right wing.

Powell, a retired four-star general who served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the George H.W. Bush administration before becoming George W. Bush’s top diplomat, told CBS’s “This Morning” that “I voted for [Obama] in 2008, and I plan to stick with him in 2012. I’ll be voting for he [sic] and for Vice President Joe Biden next month.”

Powell credited President Obama for stabilizing the financial system, ending the war in Iraq, and beginning to end the war in Afghanistan. By contrast, Powell criticized Romney’s economic plans and expressed concern that Romney is a “moving target” on foreign policy.

“The governor who was speaking on Monday night at the debate was saying things that were quite different from what he said earlier,” Powell said. “So I’m not quite sure which Governor Romney we would be getting in terms of foreign policy.”

“Sometimes I don’t sense that he has thought through these issues as thoroughly as he should have,” Powell added. “And he gets advice from his campaign staff that he then has to adjust and modify as he goes along.”

Predictably, many on the right could not accept that Powell — who maintains that he is still a Republican despite endorsing both of Obama’s presidential runs — could have serious policy reasons for supporting the president. Instead, the fringe came up with the same answer that they embrace to explain almost every Obama-related event: it’s all about race.

A brief scan of right wing message boards and media figures reveals the ugly strain of racism that lurks barely beneath the surface of many hyper-partisan criticisms of the president. Note that no Caucasian is ever labeled as a racist for endorsing a white candidate.

Some mainstream Republicans were also critical of Powell’s endorsement. Arizona Senator John McCain went on Brian Kilmeade’s radio show this morning and slammed Powell’s decision, saying “General Powell, you disappoint us and you have harmed your legacy even further by defending what is clearly the most feckless foreign policy in my lifetime.”

This is an especially interesting critique, given that Powell is the man who stood before the United Nations in 2003 and made the disastrously faulty case for an invasion of Iraq. Powell considers the incident to be a “blot” on his record that will always be “painful” to him. If anyone would understand the value of restraint — which McCain and his colleagues in the Republican foreign policy establishment tend to consider “feckless” — it would be a man like Powell, who has seen firsthand what type of damage Romney and his foreign policy team can do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:02 pm 

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:41 pm 

edge540 wrote:
Right Wing Fumes As Powell Endorses Obama

October 25th, 2012 Henry Decker

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell endorsed President Barack Obama for re-election this morning, crossing party lines — and setting off an ugly reaction from the right wing.

Powell, a retired four-star general who served as Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff in the George H.W. Bush administration before becoming George W. Bush’s top diplomat, told CBS’s “This Morning” that “I voted for [Obama] in 2008, and I plan to stick with him in 2012. I’ll be voting for he [sic] and for Vice President Joe Biden next month.”

Powell credited President Obama for stabilizing the financial system, ending the war in Iraq, and beginning to end the war in Afghanistan. By contrast, Powell criticized Romney’s economic plans and expressed concern that Romney is a “moving target” on foreign policy.

“The governor who was speaking on Monday night at the debate was saying things that were quite different from what he said earlier,” Powell said. “So I’m not quite sure which Governor Romney we would be getting in terms of foreign policy.”

“Sometimes I don’t sense that he has thought through these issues as thoroughly as he should have,” Powell added. “And he gets advice from his campaign staff that he then has to adjust and modify as he goes along.”

Predictably, many on the right could not accept that Powell — who maintains that he is still a Republican despite endorsing both of Obama’s presidential runs — could have serious policy reasons for supporting the president. Instead, the fringe came up with the same answer that they embrace to explain almost every Obama-related event: it’s all about race.

A brief scan of right wing message boards and media figures reveals the ugly strain of racism that lurks barely beneath the surface of many hyper-partisan criticisms of the president. Note that no Caucasian is ever labeled as a racist for endorsing a white candidate.

Some mainstream Republicans were also critical of Powell’s endorsement. Arizona Senator John McCain went on Brian Kilmeade’s radio show this morning and slammed Powell’s decision, saying “General Powell, you disappoint us and you have harmed your legacy even further by defending what is clearly the most feckless foreign policy in my lifetime.”

This is an especially interesting critique, given that Powell is the man who stood before the United Nations in 2003 and made the disastrously faulty case for an invasion of Iraq. Powell considers the incident to be a “blot” on his record that will always be “painful” to him. If anyone would understand the value of restraint — which McCain and his colleagues in the Republican foreign policy establishment tend to consider “feckless” — it would be a man like Powell, who has seen firsthand what type of damage Romney and his foreign policy team can do.

Just another RACIST N!GGER...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 am 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:30 pm 

SUN SENTINEL Flips From 2008, Endorses Romney

P.J. O'Rourke

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 913 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 61  Next