Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Should marijuana be legal?
Yes 82%  82%  [ 28 ]
No 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:11 am 

I encourage everyone to visit http://www.norml.org, http://www.inorml.org, and http://www.mpp.org

Also signup for: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/INORML
Then read some of the fliers and newletters.

Nomen Nescio
http://www.nitesquad.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:55 pm 

Rich, I understand the argument about why marijuana may be a gateway drug only because it is illegal. Question is, would we legalize it just for adults? If so, then kids who do it would be breaking the law, getting to the other side of the gateway argument.

Society does regulate what we do in some cases even though it appears to be a "victimless" situation. Seat belt laws, liquor and cigarettes illegal for those under 18/21, no Sunday liquor sales, no car sales on Sunday (don't quite understand those two) etc. Here the common good is deemed to be best served.

Right or wrong, I think that we have a duty as a society to do some regulating, so I guess that leaves me out of the Libertarian camp :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:35 am 

The reason some people may think that pot is a gateway drug is because people who try harder drugs probably try softer drugs like booze and pot first. But I know lots of people who have tried pot but never moved onto harder stuff so I think the whole gateway drug theory is bunk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:29 am 

Last edited by NeoRayden on Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:25 pm 

people often bring up that drug use leads to violence and criminal activity.

have you ever seen a pothead do anything other than watch cartoons and eat when he's stoned? thats not violence, thats indulging in lifes happiness.

the only crimes pothead will commit are the crimes of having pot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:08 pm 

tomskag wrote:
the only crimes pothead will commit are the crimes of having pot.

Well... not exactly. I mean, doesn't pot intoxicate in a way somewhat similar to alcohol? I imagine people who try to drive while stoned are similarly impaired & have a greater tendency to wreck into things & people.

That's why, as a Christian, I wouldn't be able to smoke pot even if it were legal. Because the Bible encourages us to be alert & self-controlled, ready to do good. If I were drunk or stoned, I'd be less alert, less ready & able to respond in the ways needed. And I'd probably be less able to control myself & be more likely to do damage to someone in anger, etc.

Just my two cents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:15 pm 

well my friend let me explain.

1) endangering the lives of others, by driving under the influence of anything thig is illegal.

2) if pot were to be legalized it will have certain guidlines of use. like not driving a car. just like alcohol. or prescription painkillers.

once it is legalized it just wont be all fun and games, there will be rules. but they will be issued only to protect the public from someones stupidity.
if i smoke a spliff, drive a car, hit someone. thats not the drugs fault. thats my stupidity. and stupid people will go to jail.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:18 pm 

oh and thc does make you alert. it is used in pill form to treat add and adhd in california.

and if your religous beliefs require you to not partake in certain activities, thats your problem. i should be able to inhibit my judgement as much as a iwant. i think thats called freedom.

lol that has to be the worst thing i ever said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:23 pm 

Hey, I agree with you. Read my posts above.

I just felt like you were overstating it to say "the only crimes pothead will commit are the crimes of having pot." It's not like all pot-smokers are responsible about it... just like not all alcohol drinkers are responsible about it. If the proposition on the table is treating marijuana in a manner similar to alcohol or tobacco (legal but regulated), then we have to be honest about the ways that alcohol, for example, sometimes facilitates criminal activity. I imagine marijuana would be similar.

No doubt much of the violence & criminal activity associated with marijuana use today is because you have to be a criminal to get it and smoke it. But making it legal again doesn't mean everything would be sunshine & fields of flowers. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:25 pm 

Whoa tomskag, I don't think Rich said that pot shouldn't be legalized because he feels it isn't consistant with his beliefs. In fact, if you read the posts, I think he has asked some thought provoking questions.

It is an interesting discussion, but I think we can keep it on a friendly level. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:16 pm 

Current Indiana Pot Laws

The possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $5,000. For first offenders, the court may consider a conditional discharge. For possession of more than 30 grams, the penalties range from 6 months - 3 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

The cultivation, delivery or sale of 30 grams or less is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $5,000. Cultivation or delivery of more than 30 grams is a felony, punishable by six months - three years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. For cultivation or delivery of any amount of ten pounds or more the penalties range from 2 - 8 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Any sale within 1,000 feet of a school, public park or a family housing complex, or any sale on a school bus is punishable by 2 - 8 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000. Sale to a minor is punishable by 6 months - 3 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

Possession of paraphernalia can be a misdemeanor if it is committed “recklessly”, and is punishable by imprisonment for a fixed term of not more than one year and a fine of not more than $5,000. There is no mention in the statute of what “recklessly” means. Possession of paraphernalia can be a felony if the person has a previous judgment or conviction under the statute, and is punishable by imprisonment for a fixed term of one and one-half years and a fine of not more than $10,000.

Knowingly visiting a place where drugs are used is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

A person convicted of dealing or possessing marijuana will have his operator’s license suspended, his existing motor vehicle registration suspended, and his ability to register motor vehicles to be suspended.

Conditional release: The state allows conditional release or alternative or diversion sentencing for people facing their first prosecutions. Usually, conditional release lets a person opt for probation rather than trial. After successfully completing probation, the individual's criminal record does not reflect the charge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:20 pm 

Test Question: I would go to jail for how long if this was in my shower when the police stopped by for a vist?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:25 am 

i know what rich was talking about, but when i had to give a speach for speach and debate over this topic. people just pissed me off so bad that im still angry from it. ajksdgh;ajlsha :twisted:

people are just too blind to see that the government isnt always right.

when you have any amount of cash on you, and you get busted with pot. they atomaticaly assume youre dealing too. that my friend is a buzz kill and a half.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:41 am 

yes please. :smt033

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:32 am 

rich.schmidt wrote:
Does anyone see any holes in the analogy to Prohibition that Bull Dog cut-n-pasted from lp.org? It seems pretty straightfoward to me. (Not saying whether I agree or disagree with the conclusions drawn...)

Of course, if the analogy is correct, then perhaps that explains why we have our current drug laws. After all, the people who passed the original Prohibition laws evidently had popular support...

If you take the profit out of illegal drugs, which legallization would do, the criminal elements would have to look for other enterprises.. DId you know that a legal pound of cocaine only cost about $10 the last I heard..

I remember my grandmother telling me how back in the early turn of the century, one could go to the local pharmacy and buy all the cocaine they wanted.. We didn't see a real drug problem then..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next