Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The True Unemployment Rate: 36%
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:24 pm 

Quote:
The True Unemployment Rate: 36%
Human Events, by John Hayward

How would you define “unemployment?” Statistics on unemployment are bandied around in the media all the time. Changes in these statistics are hailed as good or bad news for the President, with varying degrees of emphasis from the news networks, depending on which party the President belongs to. But what do these statistics truly measure?

Would you define “unemployment” as measuring “people who want a job, but can’t get one?” This is, broadly speaking, the definition embraced by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The trick to making those numbers dance lies in measuring “people who want a job.” The widely reported U-3 unemployment metric, currently standing at 8.3 percent, is very aggressive in shaving off people who have not made recent efforts to find work. It is further distorted by massive “seasonal adjustments,” which made over a million people vanish into thin air last month.

This is why the official unemployment rate gets lower when the American workforce contracts. Workforce contraction is a very bad thing. People who simply cannot find work, and languish on unemployment insurance for years, are the last thing a prosperous country needs… but those people don’t count in the official unemployment rate. For example, if everyone under the age of 25 abruptly stopped looking for work, it would be an economic disaster, but the official unemployment rate would go down, because the pool of people looking for work would get smaller.

(That’s not quite as far-fetched an example as it might sound, incidentally. Even the heavily-massaged U-3 unemployment rate currently sits at 23.2 percent for ages 16-19, and 13.3 percent for ages 20-24… and it’s about two percent higher for young men. Policies that increase the cost of labor, such as minimum-wage increases and mandated benefits, have a particularly punishing effect on young entry-level workers, since their labor has less intrinsic value than experienced older employees.)

This is precisely what has been happening under Barack Obama.

READ MORE:
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=49644

Post subject: Re: The True Unemployment Rate: 36%
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:28 am 

Moby Grape wrote:
Quote:
The True Unemployment Rate: 36%
Human Events, by John Hayward

How would you define “unemployment?” Statistics on unemployment are bandied around in the media all the time. Changes in these statistics are hailed as good or bad news for the President, with varying degrees of emphasis from the news networks, depending on which party the President belongs to. But what do these statistics truly measure?

Would you define “unemployment” as measuring “people who want a job, but can’t get one?” This is, broadly speaking, the definition embraced by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The trick to making those numbers dance lies in measuring “people who want a job.” The widely reported U-3 unemployment metric, currently standing at 8.3 percent, is very aggressive in shaving off people who have not made recent efforts to find work. It is further distorted by massive “seasonal adjustments,” which made over a million people vanish into thin air last month.

This is why the official unemployment rate gets lower when the American workforce contracts. Workforce contraction is a very bad thing. People who simply cannot find work, and languish on unemployment insurance for years, are the last thing a prosperous country needs… but those people don’t count in the official unemployment rate. For example, if everyone under the age of 25 abruptly stopped looking for work, it would be an economic disaster, but the official unemployment rate would go down, because the pool of people looking for work would get smaller.

(That’s not quite as far-fetched an example as it might sound, incidentally. Even the heavily-massaged U-3 unemployment rate currently sits at 23.2 percent for ages 16-19, and 13.3 percent for ages 20-24… and it’s about two percent higher for young men. Policies that increase the cost of labor, such as minimum-wage increases and mandated benefits, have a particularly punishing effect on young entry-level workers, since their labor has less intrinsic value than experienced older employees.)

This is precisely what has been happening under Barack Obama.

READ MORE:
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=49644

36% is probably right. My youngest daughter works a seasonal job which does not start until April 1st, and ends on October 1st of every year. This will be the 3rd season she works, and is glad she has a job. BTW, her work schedule and time frame, does not conflict with her schooling.
My son-in-law has been out of work since the beginning of December. He doesn't get unemployment. He worked 6 1/2 months last year, but the state said that he didn't have enough time in to get unemployment. He appealed unsuccessfully.
It has been over a year since my Honey lost his job, and the plant closed. His unemployment ended 2 weeks ago.

So, when you count in those ineligible for unemplyment, those who work a seasonal job, and those who unemployment has expired, you got one heck of a higher percentage than what D.C. is talking smack about.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:31 am 

Quote:
36% is probably right.

LOL, that's ridiculous, unemployment during the Great Depression was 25%.
Quote:
My son-in-law has been out of work since the beginning of December. He doesn't get unemployment. He worked 6 1/2 months last year, but the state said that he didn't have enough time in to get unemployment. He appealed unsuccessfully. It has been over a year since my Honey lost his job, and the plant closed. His unemployment ended 2 weeks ago.

Be sure to send Mitch Daniels & the republicans who control the state house a thank you note.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:36 am 

edge540 wrote:
Quote:
36% is probably right.

LOL, that's ridiculous, unemployment during the Great Depression was 25%.
Quote:
My son-in-law has been out of work since the beginning of December. He doesn't get unemployment. He worked 6 1/2 months last year, but the state said that he didn't have enough time in to get unemployment. He appealed unsuccessfully. It has been over a year since my Honey lost his job, and the plant closed. His unemployment ended 2 weeks ago.

Be sure to send Mitch Daniels & the republicans who control the state house a thank you note.

At the state level, Indiana is doing substantially better than Illinois, and many other states, all run by liberal democrats. The buck ultimately stops at the White House.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:43 am 

Quote:
At the state level, Indiana is doing substantially better than Illinois, and many other states, all run by liberal democrats

Like all right wing bullshit that's been debunked

As far as benefits go you're better off in a blue state

Quote:
States that pay highest unemployment insurance compensation
1-Massachusetts ($628-942, 72 weeks)
2-Rhode Island ($528-660, 79 weeks)
3-Pennsylvania ($558-566, 72 weeks)
4-Connecticut ($519-594, 72 weeks)
5-New Jersey (584, 79 weeks)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:02 am 

edge540 wrote:
Quote:
States that pay highest unemployment insurance compensation
1-Massachusetts ($628-942, 72 weeks)
2-Rhode Island ($528-660, 79 weeks)
3-Pennsylvania ($558-566, 72 weeks)
4-Connecticut ($519-594, 72 weeks)
5-New Jersey (584, 79 weeks)

where does this money come from?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:07 pm 

Are you asking because you really don't know & you're ignorant? You can't figure out how you can look it up?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:11 pm 

edge540 wrote:
Are you asking because you really don't know & you're ignorant? You can't figure out how you can look it up?

I'm asking you.

go ahead chickenshit

run.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:23 pm 

And I asked you:
Are you asking because you really don't know & you're ignorant? You can't figure out how you can look it up? are you being "willfully ignorant"?

When I asked you:
Do you support THIS administration in the license portability issue?
Did you answer? No, you did not.

What's good for the goose....mr grape :smt007

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:43 pm 

edge540 wrote:

I'm asking because I really don't know.
Where does that money come from?

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:21 pm 

happy jack wrote:
edge540 wrote:

Like the true gub'mint parasite that he is, he refuses....because if he DOES answer that question he'll have to admit to himself that he lives off the hard work and sweat of other people.

Like the ghetto rats whose LINK cards have had the numbers worn off because of the repeated use and NEVER and I MEAN NEVER stop to thank the REAL people who provide it.

Nope, in their delusional world they believe this is obamas money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:31 pm 

Quote:
Like the true gub'mint parasite that he is, he refuses....because if he DOES answer that question he'll have to admit to himself that he lives off the hard work and sweat of other people.

I've never been laid off so I have never collected unemployment benefits. I'm also not a "gub'mint parasite." I worked my ass off for 38 years & now I'm retired. Fact is I don't collect any kind of benefits that I did not pay in to. Never have.
Given the fact that mr. grape spends most of his time ranting & raving online all day it's safe to say that it's actually mr. grape who is the true parasite who lives off the hard work and sweat of other people

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:58 pm 

edge540 wrote:
Quote:

I've never been laid off so I have never collected unemployment benefits. I'm also not a "gub'mint parasite." I worked my ass off for 38 years & now I'm retired. Fact is I don't collect any kind of benefits that I did not pay in to. Never have.
Given the fact that mr. grape spends most of his time ranting & raving online all day it's safe to say that it's actually mr. grape who is the true parasite who lives off the hard work and sweat of other people

yeah sure, whatever...

jack asked you a question

happy jack wrote:
edge540 wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:05 pm 

Does that mean he's as stupid & ignorant as you are?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:34 pm 

edge540 wrote:
Does that mean he's as stupid & ignorant as you are?

:roll: