Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Facebook
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:11 pm 

Every place adults can connect with kids, those creeps gravitate. David Maust, who killed several boys here in Hammond, hung around the city parks. A youth minister at First Baptist was accused of molesting kids. We all know about the Catholic priest scandal.
What's the answer?
Facebook is so fantastically successful now, I doubt they'll let something like that hurt them. Perhaps they need to require parental permission for kids to join, but maybe they already do. And maybe a warning should be posted.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:47 pm 

freetime wrote:
but maybe they already do.

Way to get all your facts straight first.[/sarcasm]

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:53 pm 

We're not arguing this before the Supreme Court.
Just chatting.
Maybe someone who knows their policy, and isn't just a crabby old fart looking for a fight, will reply.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:11 pm 

I'm just glad you found another outlet besides this board where you can post your fascinating opinions.[/sarcasm]

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:34 pm 

So Arclight,
You looking forward to the Facebook IPO in late 2012?
How many billions do you think that'll be worth?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:53 am 

I've already had several registered sex offenders bounced off of Facebook.

I do a check on the sex offender registry for my county and I plug the names of the people into a Facebook and MySpace search. When they show up, I report them to Facebook/MySpace and usually within 24 hours they are GONE!!!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:56 am 

Good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:05 am 

Image wrote:
I think you'll really enjoy Facebook. Since you can pick the people you want to be friends with, you can avoid the anonymous trolls that are on message boards. It is a fun,social site.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8850&p=111192&hilit=facebook&sid=36c2da5cb0e4d63eab5ea20d1f18909f#p111192

Image wrote:
Amy, I'm starting to think that discussing topics on Facebook with rational people who don't hide behind screen names is more enjoyable than this board. BTW, I think the comments MT made were positively ghoulish.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... Collection

It is a fun,social site according to sparks

Quote:
Facebook in Privacy Breach
Wall Street Journal, by Emily Steel & Geoffrey A. Fowler

Many of the most popular applications, or "apps," on the social-networking site Facebook Inc. have been transmitting identifying information—in effect, providing access to people's names and, in some cases, their friends' names—to dozens of advertising and Internet tracking companies, a Wall Street Journal investigation has found. The issue affects tens of millions of Facebook app users, including people who set their profiles to Facebook's strictest privacy settings. The practice breaks Facebook's rules, and renews questions about its ability to keep identifiable information about its users' activities secure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:27 pm 

USMarine wrote:
I've already had several registered sex offenders bounced off of Facebook.

I do a check on the sex offender registry for my county and I plug the names of the people into a Facebook and MySpace search. When they show up, I report them to Facebook/MySpace and usually within 24 hours they are GONE!!!

LOL you like to do that also?

So do I, its a fun never ending game on those two(especially myspace)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:25 am 

Image wrote:
I think you'll really enjoy Facebook. Since you can pick the people you want to be friends with, you can avoid the anonymous trolls that are on message boards. It is a fun,social site.

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=8850&p=111192&hilit=facebook&sid=36c2da5cb0e4d63eab5ea20d1f18909f#p111192

Image wrote:
Amy, I'm starting to think that discussing topics on Facebook with rational people who don't hide behind screen names is more enjoyable than this board. BTW, I think the comments MT made were positively ghoulish.

Quote:
Facebook's Filters Fall Short in Blocking Pedophiles
FOX, by Jana Winter

Facebook is failing to prevent child predators from posting suggestive and potentially illegal photographs of children on its website, a weeks-long investigation by FoxNews.com reveals, despite its claim that it's doing all it can to keep pedophile materials from being displayed.

The world's largest social network employs content filters that automatically scan for basic keywords that the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) identifies as being commonly associated with child exploitive material. Those filters, if they are properly employed, should flag much of the offensive material found on the site, cybersecurity experts say.

But in a lengthy telephone interview on Oct. 6, FoxNews.com took two Facebook executives on a click-by-click tour of their own website, bringing them face-to-face with some of its vile contents and forcing them to admit that their efforts to block child predators were not working.

During a 90-minute phone interview with Facebook spokesman Simon Axten and the company's chief security officer, Joe Sullivan, the two executives were guided by FoxNews.com through the site’s seamy subculture – an encounter that left Sullivan sounding dumbfounded, unaware of and unable to explain the extremely graphic content on the site.

In the interview, FoxNews.com told the executives to enter "PTHC" in the website's search box. The term “PTHC” — short for “Pre-Teen Hard Core” — is frequently found in connection with child sexual exploitation activity and materials, law enforcement officials say. Multiple sources confirmed that “PTHC” is on the NCMEC list of keywords.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:49 pm 

Moby Grape wrote:
Image wrote:

http://www.northwestindiana.com/discuss ... 9f#p111192

Image wrote:

Quote:
FOX, by Jana Winter

Facebook is failing to prevent child predators from posting suggestive and potentially illegal photographs of children on its website, a weeks-long investigation by FoxNews.com reveals, despite its claim that it's doing all it can to keep pedophile materials from being displayed.

The world's largest social network employs content filters that automatically scan for basic keywords that the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC) identifies as being commonly associated with child exploitive material. Those filters, if they are properly employed, should flag much of the offensive material found on the site, cybersecurity experts say.

But in a lengthy telephone interview on Oct. 6, FoxNews.com took two Facebook executives on a click-by-click tour of their own website, bringing them face-to-face with some of its vile contents and forcing them to admit that their efforts to block child predators were not working.

During a 90-minute phone interview with Facebook spokesman Simon Axten and the company's chief security officer, Joe Sullivan, the two executives were guided by FoxNews.com through the site’s seamy subculture – an encounter that left Sullivan sounding dumbfounded, unaware of and unable to explain the extremely graphic content on the site.

In the interview, FoxNews.com told the executives to enter "PTHC" in the website's search box. The term “PTHC” — short for “Pre-Teen Hard Core” — is frequently found in connection with child sexual exploitation activity and materials, law enforcement officials say. Multiple sources confirmed that “PTHC” is on the NCMEC list of keywords.

You bring up the subject of pedophiles quite a bit there,Moby.Why is that?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:10 pm 

sparks wrote:

Probably thinks of 'em every single time he sees you post.

Not surprised.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:18 pm 

USMarine wrote:
sparks wrote:

Not surprised.
Not me. Whenever I see a post by Sprinkles, I think of a fat, syphilitic, old sodomite. Just my opinion...

Think I'll hang back and see how fArtie responds.

Dave Hein

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:25 pm 
Banned

LoisLane wrote:
USMarine wrote:
sparks wrote:

Not surprised.
Not me. Whenever I see a post by Sprinkles, I think of a fat, syphilitic, old sodomite. Just my opinion...

Think I'll hang back and see how fArtie responds.

Dave Hein

Artie seems quite enamored with our fat friend. If he could stop fantasizing about getting into McDermotts pants, maybe he and the fat guy could hook up.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:20 pm 

sparks wrote:
You bring up the subject of pedophiles quite a bit there, Moby.Why is that?

gee I don't know sparks.

what do all the following articles about your ''fun social site'' have in common?

Quote:
Facebook Accused of Hurting Muslims With ‘Anti-Islamic Sentiments’
http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/66401

Quote:
3 Colombian teens on Facebook hit list killed in past 10 days
http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/08/24/colombia.facebook.killings/index.html?hpt=T2[/color]

Quote:
Man accused of torturing woman over Facebook post
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38928514/ns/us_news/

Quote:
Facebook Feels Unfriendly Toward Movie It Inspired
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/busin ... ebook.html

Quote:
NH candidate apologizes for Sarah Palin death wish post on Facebook
http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx ... n+Facebook

Quote:

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Pedophiles Find a Home for Social Networking -- on Facebook
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/09/ ... -facebook/

Quote:

Quote:

Image wrote:
It is a fun,social site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next