Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Farm Report
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:39 am 

OK, I now declare myself to be an official dork.
I usually wake up before 4 AM. I listen to WGN radio for a while, because that is a live show and they have some of the day's news.
But what I really find comforting is the farm report that comes on just before 5 AM. I like to hear how the farmers are doing, because without them, we're all dead. I hear about the falling farm prices, and I worry about the farm families that work so hard for so little. Of course, as a shopper, I love the low prices for food. I'm just really glad to hear that there are still enough people connected to the earth to continue this risky occupation instead of selling off their land for another strip mall or subdivision.
Something about Orion Samuleson's voice just reassures me that no matter how crazy the world seems to get, some things go on as always.

Post subject: Re: Farm Report
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:17 pm 

freetime wrote:
OK, I now declare myself to be an official dork.
I usually wake up before 4 AM. I listen to WGN radio for a while, because that is a live show and they have some of the day's news.
But what I really find comforting is the farm report that comes on just before 5 AM. I like to hear how the farmers are doing, because without them, we're all dead. I hear about the falling farm prices, and I worry about the farm families that work so hard for so little. Of course, as a shopper, I love the low prices for food. I'm just really glad to hear that there are still enough people connected to the earth to continue this risky occupation instead of selling off their land for another strip mall or subdivision.
Something about Orion Samuleson's voice just reassures me that no matter how crazy the world seems to get, some things go on as always.

He did it to the banks

He did it to the mortgage companies

He did it to the auto industry

now wait until your messiah goes after agriculture....

when are you going to wake up?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:13 pm 

Don't muck up my harmless little topic with your partisan politics.
You got anything to say about the WGN Farm Report or Orion Samuleson or farmers?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:14 pm 

freetime wrote:
Don't muck up my harmless little topic with your partisan politics.
You got anything to say about the WGN Farm Report or Orion Samuleson or farmers?

Yes.
Wait until Obama goes after them.

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:24 am 

freetime wrote:

sure...

I think I'll have a bacon lettuce and tomato sammich for lunch today.

mayo on BOTH sides.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:10 pm 

That sounds good. Kiss a farmer next time you see one! :) :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:33 pm 

Those farmers have more going on than you can believe and are smart. I have drove trucks full of wild game back to this neck of the woods and fish they are very crafty when the night falls most have second job checking his traps hunting with spot lights commercial fishing without a license in streams.

Some of those barn's are chop shops.

The ones that fail are honest and live by moral codes of ethics.

Some have pounds on their land and grow catfish.

Venison, antelope, boar, pheasant, and other exotic species are now farm raised in the United States, and are under voluntary USDA inspection. For an increasing number of restaurants and home diners, exotic meats are becoming more commonplace. The Hotline has been getting inquiries about these food animal species. Included here are answers to questions about game animals.

What is Game?
Game are wild animals and birds. Farm-raised game are originally wild species of animals and birds that have been raised for sale under existing State regulations. Large native game animals living in America include antelope, buffalo, bear, caribou, deer, elk, moose, reindeer, and wild boar. Elsewhere in the world, even rarer varieties eaten by humans are camel, elephant, kangaroo, wild goats, wild sheep, zebra, and other species.

Small game animals include alligator, rabbit, squirrel, beaver, muskrat, opossum, raccoon, armadillo, porcupine, and other species.

Game birds include grouse, guineafowl, partridge, squab (young pigeon), quail, pheasant, wild ducks, wild geese, wild turkey, and other species. Rock Cornish hens – thought by many consumers to be game birds – are actually young domesticated chickens.

NOTE: Game species raised on farms under appropriate regulations can be sold. Wild game species, that can be legally hunted under Federal or State regulatory authority, cannot be sold, but can be harvested for personal consumption. If you have questions about the harvest of wild game species, contact your State fish and wildlife agencies, or the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service for Federal regulations on migratory species.

Background on "Venison" Game Animals
In culinary terms, "venison" can be meat from deer, elk, moose, caribou, antelope, and pronghorn. However, when this meat is offered for sale, the name of the specific animal must be specified on the package label.

Deer live in woodlands all over Europe, Asia, northern Africa and America. There are many deer species of various sizes but all the males grow antlers. The meat is lean and has a gamey flavor that can be made milder if soaked overnight.

Elk meat tastes like mild (almost sweet) beef, with only a very faint venison flavor. Elk can be substituted equally for venison in most standard venison recipes. Elk are from North America, Europe, and Asia.

Moose is the largest member of the venison family standing about 6½ feet at the shoulder. It's native from North America. The meat is similar to elk.

Caribou (reindeer) are slightly larger than white-tailed deer. Both males and females have antlers. The meat is somewhat sweeter than other venison. They live primarily in North America and Siberia.

Antelope are currently farmed in Texas, where black buck and nilgai antelope, native to Africa, are allowed to roam on huge preserves. Males are called bucks, bulls, or stags; females, does or cows; and unweaned young are fawns or calves. Antelope meat is leaner, but similar in taste, to that of deer.

Pronghorn (once classified as "antelope") is the last survivor of a species native to North America, with the largest herd in Wyoming. Pronghorn meat is leaner, but similar in taste, to that of deer.

Other Game Animals
Bison (buffalo) is native to North America. Once about 60 million in number, bison were hunted almost to extinction by the 1890's. Currently there are more than 150,000 animals being raised across North America today.

Musk-ox is a heavy-set, shaggy-coated wild ox that lives in northern North America, the Arctic islands, and Greenland. The meat tastes similar to buffalo.

Collared Peccary (javelina) is a hoofed animal native to parts of Mexico, South America, and the southwest U.S. A substitute is fresh pork.

Rabbits sold for consumption in the U.S. are not North American cottontails, but are usually either crosses between New Zealand and Belgian varieties, Chinese rabbits, or Scottish hares.

Wild boar, along with feral (wild) hogs, are found in 23 states in the U.S. and are estimated to number over 2 million. Like our domestic swine, these animals are not native to North America, but were originally brought over from other continents. Originally domesticated and then released into the wild, these animals are now hybrids.

While some states have limited hunting seasons, most states consider them a nuisance and encourage hunting them for personal consumption.

Game Birds
The game bird industry in the U.S. raises millions of birds for sale to restaurants and direct to consumers. These include up to 10 million pheasants, 37 million quail (including 12 million Bobwhite), 4 million Chukar partridges, 1 million Mallard ducks, 200,000 wild turkeys, and several other bird species.

Wild Ducks - The Chinese were the first to raise wild ducks domestically for food. Today's domestic wild ducks are descendants of either the Muscovy or Mallard species. America's Long Island ducks are offspring of Peking ducks (a variety of Mallard) brought from China in the late 1800's. A young duck or duckling (usually under 8 weeks of age) has dark, tender meat and weighs about 3 ½ to 5 pounds. A mature duck is usually over 6 months of age and has tougher meat.

Goose - Geese were farm-raised in ancient Egypt, China, and India. Today's goose weighs between 5 and 18 pounds. A young bird of either sex ("goose" is the female of the species; "gander," the male) has tender meat, while a mature goose of either sex has tougher meat.

Guineafowl - This relative of the chicken and partridge, sometimes called a guinea hen or African pheasant, was thought to originate in Guinea, West Africa. A young guineafowl, about 11 weeks old, has tender meat, while a mature bird has tougher meat. Female guinea fowl are more tender than males. The meat is light red and slightly dry with a mild gamey flavor. Due to their small size - about 2 to 3 pounds, including giblets – guinea fowl are usually sold whole.

Partridge – There are no native partridge species in the United States. Most partridge in the market are from European or African varieties. The Grey partridge, a European species, was imported from Hungary and raised in England. Found as far away as the Middle East, this variety is sometimes called Hungarian partridge. Chukar is a partridge species from India.

Pheasant - Originally from Asia, the female of this medium-size game bird (weighing about 3 pounds) has more tender, plump, and juicy meat than the male, which weighs about 5 pounds. Young birds can be roasted, but older birds need moist heat because their flesh is drier and leaner.

Quail - American quail are known regionally by various names: Bobwhite, partridge, and quail (blue, California, mountain and Montezuma). American quail nest on the ground and are not related to the European quail of the partridge family. A ready-to-cook quail weighs about 3 to 7 ounces, including the giblets. Due to their small size, they are usually roasted and served whole. The meat is dark, but mild flavored.

Squab or Pigeon - This species originated in the Middle East and Asia, and is one of the oldest birds known to man. A squab is a young, immature pigeon about 4 weeks old. Because it is too young to fly, the meat is very tender. Squab usually weigh about 12 to 16 ounces, including giblets, and have dark, delicately flavored meat. They are usually stuffed whole and roasted. A pigeon has been allowed to mature and has tougher meat than a squab.

Wild Turkeys - Turkey is one of North America's native birds. The name "turkey" was originally applied to an African bird, now known as the guineafowl, which was believed to have originated in Turkey. When the Europeans came upon the American turkey, they thought it was the same bird as the African guinea fowl, and so gave it the name turkey, although the two species are quite distinct. Compared to their domestic counterparts, wild turkeys are leaner, less meaty, not as tender, and have a stronger flavor.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets/Fa ... /index.asp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:34 am 

Maybe they should take up the sport of dogfighting huh G man?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:34 am 

What's for lunch today, Moby?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:12 am 

Lake Perch is looking pretty good

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:16 am 

Sounds delish! Some guys were on WJOB yesterday talking about Phil Smidts Restaurant.
Did you ever get a chance to eat there before they closed? Best lake perch in the world, not counting the ones we pulled out of a lake in Wisconsin and ate within the hour.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:23 am 

There a few sit down places around here where I've gotten good lake perch dinners....couple of taps and carry out joints around the area too get good fish...but if you asked me to pick just one I guess I'd say Tiebles....

NEVER a chain restaurant...I won't even go into them...

cept maybe the occasional bike night at Hooters...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:36 am 

Moby Grape wrote:
Maybe they should take up the sport of dogfighting huh G man?

Yale murder: Demanding job, a divided lab

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/697679

Chef's Tips for Cooking Wild Game

Chef's tip #1: There is a membrane called "fascia" that holds the muscles together in all animals, including human ones. It can be very tough and unpleasant if it happens to get between your teeth. Therefore, it is particularly important to remove the fascia before cooking wild game roasts.

Chef's tip #2: Always marinate wild game in buttermilk of yogurt. They have an enzyme that tenderizes and cleans the taste of Wild Game. Then, wash the meat thoroughly and cook or remarinate the meat in your favorite seasonings.

Chef's tip #3: If you are dealing with an old buck or a tough piece of meat, add some meat tenderizer to the Buttermilk

Chef's tip #4: Do not "cook" wild game as you would farm raised animals such as beef or lamb. Wild animals are athletes and many, like deer do not eat grass or corn. They eat tree buds, particularly evergreens so the meat is tough. It is best just warm the meat or else you must cook it to death.

Dog meat (Chinese: 狗肉; pinyin: gǒu ròu) has been a source of food in small parts of China from at least around 500 BC, and possibly even before. Mencius, the philosopher, recommended dog meat because of its pharmaceutical properties. [16] Ancient writings from the Zhou Dynasty referred to the "three beasts"[cite this quote] (which were bred for food), including pig, goat, and dog. Dog meat is sometimes euphemistically called "fragrant meat" (香肉 xiāng ròu) or "mutton of the earth" (地羊 dì yáng) in Mandarin Chinese and "3-6 fragrant meat" (traditional Chinese: 三六香肉; Cantonese Yale: sàam luhk hèung yuhk) in Cantonese (3 plus 6 is 9 and the words "nine" and "dog" are homophones, both pronounced gáu in Cantonese. In Mandarin, "nine" and "dog" are pronounced differently).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_meat

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:31 pm 

Moby Grape wrote:
There a few sit down places around here where I've gotten good lake perch dinners....couple of taps and carry out joints around the area too get good fish...but if you asked me to pick just one I guess I'd say Tiebles....

Phil Smidts was SO good...tiny little lightly breaded fillets swimming in garlic butter. Boiled red potatoes to go with. They got pretty expensive near the time they closed. I think the all you can eat dinner was over $35.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:34 pm 

freetime wrote:
Moby Grape wrote:

Phil Smidts was SO good...tiny little lightly breaded fillets swimming in garlic butter. Boiled red potatoes to go with. They got pretty expensive near the time they closed. I think the all you can eat dinner was over $35.

Try Dusty's Tap at Indianapolis Blvd. and 125th St. on Fridays. Lake (or ocean) perch, shrimp, and frog leg dinners in any combination. Excellent.

Barack Obama