Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ignoring trolls
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:46 am 

Do you consider anyone who disagrees with you a troll? There a couple people here who I almost always disagree with - lots of times I just don't read threads they start.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 8:50 am 

karent wrote:
Do you consider anyone who disagrees with you a troll? There a couple people here who I almost always disagree with - lots of times I just don't read threads they start.

:roll:

USMarine wrote:
When people have legitimate ideas, engage and debate them (feed a fever) when it's just baiting and nonsense posted to disrupt, ignore (starve a troll)..... :smt006

Feed a fever, starve a troll.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 10:12 am 

karent wrote:

Karen,
It's off topic. but may I ask if you listen to WJOB like I do?
:D

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:03 pm 

I put Sparkless on ignore a long time ago. He can talk smack all he wants, and the only time I see it is when someone quotes him. :shock:

I refuse to feed the maggot. :x

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 4:41 pm 
Banned

Tiger1 wrote:
and the only time I see it is when someone quotes him. :shock:

Tiger...I like you and respect you...but the comment reminds me of something funny. Remember on the other board when the old gay guy would go "thank you thank you thank you for quoting so and so" when someone quoted one of his enemies whom he supposedly had on "ignore"......yet read every word.
There's an old guy here who also purports to ignore, but reads every word.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:53 am 

karent wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head,Karen. USMarine doesn't seem to have much of a life outside of posting on this board and he wants to stifle any poster who has a different opinion than his.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:00 am 

mrbsmom wrote:
I've had skraps and hedge on ignore for a long time now. I got tired of the name calling and post highjacking they do. Its been nice. The only time I see any part of these two's post is when you guys quote them.

Tiger1 wrote:
I put Sparkless on ignore a long time ago. He can talk smack all he wants, and the only time I see it is when someone quotes him. :shock:

Way to go, Tiger and mrbsmom.... :smt006

You two are wise and I have now taken the path which you have blazed.

It makes for a much more pleasant board.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 6:57 am 

USMarine wrote:
mrbsmom wrote:
I've had skraps and hedge on ignore for a long time now. I got tired of the name calling and post highjacking they do. Its been nice. The only time I see any part of these two's post is when you guys quote them.

Tiger1 wrote:

Way to go, Tiger and mrbsmom.... :smt006

You two are wise and I have now taken the path which you have blazed.

It makes for a much more pleasant board.

Exactly !!! :twisted: Cut the head off of a snake, and the body may wiggle for a while, but eventually it stops. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:07 pm 

Sweeeeeet......... :mrgreen:

I was notified by email that sporkles the pious troll had sent me a PM but when I logged in it wasn't there.
It had already been deleted.

USMarine wrote:

Sporkles keeps PMing to tell me he reported my posts and if I don't change my way of posting, he'll have me banned.

For my part, I have decided to use the board software and set it up so if sporkles PM's me it is supposed to just delete his message.
I hope it works.... :smt006

It looks as though the board software works pretty good.

:smt006

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:50 pm 

Wow- looks like you have a stalker. Poor troll, he'll be heartbroken you are ignoring him. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 12:54 pm 

OhhMama wrote:
Wow- looks like you have a stalker. Poor troll, he'll be heartbroken you are ignoring him. :twisted:

:crybaby:

I should have done it a long time ago.

By the way, I love your signature line..... :smt005 :smt006

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:16 pm 

USMarine wrote:
Screech wrote:
I was just thinking that if many people put these trolls on ignore that the Admin will take it as a sign that they just aren't wanted here anymore.

Were there a lot of people that had that expresso troll on ignore?

I personally don't know as I wasn't a member when expresso was here.

Sporkles keeps PMing to tell me he reported my posts and if I don't change my way of posting, he'll have me banned.

For my part, I have decided to use the board software and set it up so if sporkles PM's me it is supposed to just delete his message.

I hope it works.... :smt006

I'm loving the fact that the biggest troll on this board has chosen to put me on ignore. I am free to make posts with looking at anymore of his moronic cartoons or infantile comments from him. To the other posters USMarine targets, I highly recommend calling out USMarine's BS until he puts you on ignore too.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:51 pm 

Way too funny...... :smt006

Internet troll

On the Internet, a troll is a person who posts messages that create controversy or an angry response without adding content to the discussion, often intentionally, merely as a ludibrium. Though technically different from flaming, which is an unmistakable direct personal attack, trolls often resort to innuendo or misdirection in the pursuit of their objective, which is to create controversy for its own sake, discredit those with whom they disagree, or sabotage discussion by creating an intimidating atmosphere.

Origins
Originally this term applied to people who were intentionally posting flamebait, by analogy with the fishing technique of trolling: metaphorically, these people were dragging a conversational lure through the group, hoping for a response. The concept of "this person is trolling our newsgroup" became shortened to "this person is a troll", and picked up the association of the monster trolls of folklore. Note that this is a highly subjective term, as everyone is affected differently by the nature of the term deemed a "troll".

Trolling does not maintain its earlier meaning of posting messages specifically in order to elicit a particular response, usually anger or argument. The most common form, troll, usually refers to someone who induces general controversy, not necessarily a particular response.

Examples

:smt005 :smt006

Common types of troll messages or activities:

off topic messages – "Can anyone help me make a webpage?" "No, this is a music forum."

inflammatory messages – "You are an idiot for including this type of message in your list."

messages containing an obvious flaw or error – "I think is Roman Polanski's best movie."

absurdly naive or politically controversial messages -- "I think George W. Bush is the worst President ever"

posting an outrageous argument deliberately constructed around a fundamental but obfuscated flaw or error.

posting an outrageous claim and then insisting it's true unless people refute it to your satisfaction, which of course will be impossible.

inability to walk away from an argument.

making loud claims to be on the defensive, but the claims are a guise for their aggressive maneuvers.

passive aggressive name calling, in which no names are mentioned, but are implied.

An example of a troll message in the newer sense would be one that denounces a particular religion in a religion newsgroup -- though historically, this would have been called "flamebait".

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 2:56 pm 

USMarine wrote:
OhhMama wrote:

Thanks- Our resident so-called "christian" told me to STFU OTOB. So I guess STFU is the new WWJD...LOLOLOL

I wonder if this is the gospel his preacher tells him to spread???

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 4:57 am 

OhhMama wrote:
USMarine wrote:
OhhMama wrote:

Thanks- Our resident so-called "christian" told me to STFU OTOB. So I guess STFU is the new WWJD...LOLOLOL
I wonder if this is the gospel his preacher tells him to spread???

Where does the little fruitcake find the time to post OTOB..?

He posts here all day long when he whould be working.
But I guess it's OK to steal from your employer if you are willing to steal from everyone else.

It's typical.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next