Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 3 Usernames Banned at the Times Board Today!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:21 am 

I see that 2 administrative threads which were being abused are now locked and without naming names I see that some posters are claiming that 2 or 3 usernames have recently been banned. That's more action from the Admin than we've seen in the last several months combined! I truly hope this signifies a willingness to finally curb abuse and restore a safe environment to discuss issues.

But I wonder how many usernames might vanish over here on this board were the Admin so inclined to go after a certain poster's IP addy? :lol:

And for the record I only have 1 username and it's the same username I use on all the local boards we commonly follow. Love me or hate me I'm just me and not 1 of a dozen or so sock puppets bent on board destruction.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

Post subject: Re: 3 Usernames Banned at the Times Board Today!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:57 am 

Well, I think your the "Cats Meow" but can't understand this constant vendetta. Your new boards are censored for the righteousness crowd. Favoritism at it's finest. Hey! If that's the kind of boards you guys want...fine and dandy. Time to quit carrying on like a bunch of little kids and making threats ect. I find it to be rather disturbing and sickening myself. You have your private club...ENJOY IT! I'm not into soap opera's so I wish yours would just go off the air. My goodness. :smt006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:12 am 

I'm guessing you were not allowed in as a member? :P

I don't buy in to the notion that you can only have 1 board and that's it. Since when does 1 size fits all ever work out well for most people anyway?

But the point of my thread was that it apparently only takes 1 bad apple to wreck an entire board when given free reign. If you want to argue that the Admin at the new board is a bit overzealous in trying to enforce a safe place to exchange ideas without things getting out of hand you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But no one can deny that a total lack of restraint and monitoring has killed the Times board. Will it ever come back to life? Probably not. But if it does that resurrection will be short lived if the mistakes of the past go unheeded.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:24 am 

Ah...but the user names that were banned were not the ones who were deleting and trying to kill the board. Those user names are at the new board where the "righteousness crowd" is hanging out.

As you can see by the short life your thread had on the Times board the "bad apple" is still lurking in the shadows as "1 hidden"...... :(

Go figure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:39 am 

I, too, saw two people banned and another poster mysteriously appear. Coincidence? I think not.

BTW, I'm the same name on every place I post.

KarenT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:00 am 

Mirage wrote:

I don't buy in to the notion that you can only have 1 board and that's it. Since when does 1 size fits all ever work out well for most people anyway?

But the point of my thread was that it apparently only takes 1 bad apple to wreck an entire board when given free reign. If you want to argue that the Admin at the new board is a bit overzealous in trying to enforce a safe place to exchange ideas without things getting out of hand you are certainly entitled to your opinion. But no one can deny that a total lack of restraint and monitoring has killed the Times board. Will it ever come back to life? Probably not. But if it does that resurrection will be short lived if the mistakes of the past go unheeded.

Well let the guessing game end because I never tried to join nor am I a member. I'm not selling any notions either but if this is such a bad place and the other is heaven...I don't see the point...other than you guys taunting us to join up only so you can rub it in our faces. Overzealous enforcement? Sorry, it's not that at all to me. The thing that killed the Times boards was allowing the deletion of threads which I believe several of your new board members were responsible for. So with that said, are you going to deny that the nofree boards were not created as a vendetta against certain posters? Are you going to deny that these very same people were not culpable of the very same exact things that they claim others do? Thats where I draw the line. It's just a sickening vendetta that will never end because certain people are: NUTS!!! :shock: :smt006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:08 am 

Seriously, how in the hell does an online community get this dysfunctional? I've never seen anything like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:09 am 

USMarine wrote:
Ah...but the user names that were banned were not the ones who were deleting and trying to kill the board. Those user names are at the new board where the "righteousness crowd" is hanging out.

As you can see by the short life your thread had on the Times board the "bad apple" is still lurking in the shadows as "1 hidden"...... :(

Go figure.

Funny that hardly anybody had read my thread on that board but you knew pronto that it had been deleted. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:18 am 

Mirage wrote:
USMarine wrote:

Go figure.

Funny that hardly anybody had read my thread on that board but you knew pronto that it had been deleted. ;)

Funny that you trying to say something without having the courage to come out and say it. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:29 am 

comedian wrote:
Mirage wrote:

Well let the guessing game end because I never tried to join nor am I a member. I'm not selling any notions either but if this is such a bad place and the other is heaven...I don't see the point...other than you guys taunting us to join up only so you can rub it in our faces. Overzealous enforcement? Sorry, it's not that at all to me. The thing that killed the Times boards was allowing the deletion of threads which I believe several of your new board members were responsible for. So with that said, are you going to deny that the nofree boards were not created as a vendetta against certain posters? Are you going to deny that these very same people were not culpable of the very same exact things that they claim others do? Thats where I draw the line. It's just a sickening vendetta that will never end because certain people are: NUTS!!! :shock: :smt006

A couple of things. First the board had begun to go terminal prior to the Oracle post you are obviously alluding to, mainly because one certain female poster came on this board and brought up the issue of being able to kill a post just by reporting it. But what had made it terminal was actually the events which led to the board making the decision to make it simple to delete a post, as in certain individuals threatening legal action regardless of the chances of any possible suit being successful. The management just didn't want to deal with it. In essence they bullied board discussion of certain topics into silence.

As for the poster you mention as a vendetta object oddly that poster symbolized vendettas gone wild herself, which was the real reason the board got started. It's one thing to disagree with an opinion but this certain poster would constantly take discussions off track to promote a personal vendetta. She would on numerous occasions bring up personal information, and then abruptly claim nobody could even talk about what she wrote.

Did some posters go too far? Probably. At the same time the poster in question did nothing short of adding fuel to the flames herself.

But none of this is new information. The only thing new is that there is a new board where topics can be discussed without fear of personal intimidation. But in fact there are really 2 boards, if you count Chicky's Corner, and other boards yet still that aren't as well known. Call it different strokes for different folks, if you will. But that's alright! Nothing wrong with having more choices. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:33 am 

USMarine wrote:
Mirage wrote:
USMarine wrote:

Go figure.

Funny that you trying to say something without having the courage to come out and say it. :wink:

There's nothing funny about it. In fact it's all rather sad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:41 am 

Mirage wrote:

There's nothing funny about it. In fact it's all rather sad.

Indeed.

Traveler wrote:
Seriously, how in the hell does an online community get this dysfunctional? I've never seen anything like it.

Because people like Mirage have a rage and hatred in their heart for Freetime that knows no bounds. They have a new board set up specifically to keep her out and then come back here to taunt and insult her and other people that won't join them in their vendetta. To what end?

It is the epitome of internet trolling.

It's crazy.

:(

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:44 am 

Mirage wrote:

Did some posters go too far? Probably. At the same time the poster in question did nothing short of adding fuel to the flames herself.

But none of this is new information. The only thing new is that there is a new board where topics can be discussed without fear of personal intimidation. But in fact there are really 2 boards, if you count Chicky's Corner, and other boards yet still that aren't as well known. Call it different strokes for different folks, if you will. But that's alright! Nothing wrong with having more choices. ;)

Well at least you see my point as to this all being a vendetta. Something I really want no part in. I pasted things up on here from over there just to prove a point and ...that point has been proven! None of this is new information? Well, it's all new to me, as from what I gather, it appears to have been done on both sides. Therefore, I conclude, you guys are both wrong and this vendetta will never end. :cry: :smt006

Oh, and I think you all need to grow up! Thanks, Comedian :D :smt006

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:38 am 

USMarine wrote:
Because people like Mirage have a rage and hatred in their heart for Freetime that knows no bounds. They have a new board set up specifically to keep her out and then come back here to taunt and insult her and other people that won't join them in their vendetta. To what end?

It is the epitome of internet trolling.

It's crazy.

:(

It is beyond pathetic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:00 pm 

Just to be clear my only relationship to the board in question is I sometimes post there. Nothing more.

I realize you are only allowed to view a few forums as membership is required to read some of the more active forums. But you know what? The name FT hardly ever even comes up over there anywhere. In fact I think the name is even banned! :D

You'd be amazed just how many issues get a healthy discussion without the interference of an intentionally biased detractor. And no, it's not all about singing McDermott's praises. I and others have expressed opposition to some of his recent proposals, which was becoming increasingly difficult to do on some other boards for the reasons we all know (even if you won't admit to them). So the discussions are actually about the issues rather than an individual poster. And that's really all we wanted and why we spend more time over there.

One thing I did find curious about the Times board though is that now every administrative thread is locked, and the administrative section is the only one where deleting is not enabled. So perhaps banning the usernames in question might have just been a case of wrong place, wrong time rather than a demonstration of willingness to bring the board back to life.