Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Newspaper Vending Machines That Quirk Your Rear!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:00 pm 
Banned

Do not buy the "Times" from Schoops on 172nd and Indianapolis Blvd.....I lost three times. Twice on a "daily;" once on a Sunday edition.

Do not buy a Times Newspaper at the Schoops on Sibley & Pulaski...lost every time!

I didn't get my money back, nor a paper. Is it the "Schoops Newspaper Bandit" or just bad luck? I could name a few other places, but truthfully, forgot where....it keeps your money and gives no newspaper.

...and they wonder why people aren't buying the paper. :smt005 :roll:

Post subject: Re: Newspaper Vending Machines That Quirk Your Rear!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:20 pm 

People with financial savvy have the paper delivered instead of buying it from a machine. The Times is $9.22/month for home delivery. Since the Sunday is $1.75, you are paying for that and receiving all the weekday papers for free. You don't waste gas driving to the newstand and can read the news with your morning coffee before you leave the house. The Post-Trib is even cheaper at $5.66/month.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:19 am 

So what if she only wants to buy the paper occasionally? The stupid machines shouldn't be a ripoff. Know what real newspapers do in a case like this? They offer to bring a copy to your house the next morning or to send you a refund. They don't tell you "Sorry, better luck next time." And they fix or replace the machine.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:54 pm 
Banned

I hardly ever buy a NWI Times Newspaper; only over breakfast....then I want to read. I usually scan the online version of any newspaper...but when I buy a damn newspaper from a stand for breakfast, I expect one.
Tom's on Torrence, years past, I would lose my money, but he always had one available while you ate breakfast. I can't remember how many times I lost 50 cents there.
I prefer to save my money and read on-line. Those RARE times I bought...let me add this: the businesses people reimbursed me by allowing me to use their newspapers and promised to tell those idiots who swear everyone steals more than one when paying.....

I don't pay more than 2 or 3 dollars a month while eating out...to read when I have no computer access, or want to be brought up to date. I'll tell you this much though, from what I read, it is NOT worth subscribing to. I can get the info for free on-line from more than that newsless, biased newspaper.

I expect their vendors to keep their machines honest. That's all. Now they lost business, cuz I post a sign on their machines, every chance I get. Do NOT use. Does NOT deliver...and money WILL be KEPT by VENDOR. Don't believe me? Try it.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:10 am 

sparks wrote:
People with financial savvy have the paper delivered instead of buying it from a machine. The Times is $9.22/month for home delivery. Since the Sunday is $1.75, you are paying for that and receiving all the weekday papers for free. You don't waste gas driving to the newstand and can read the news with your morning coffee before you leave the house. The Post-Trib is even cheaper at $5.66/month.

Why do you even pay that much?

I get the Times and Post Tribune free.

how?

I go to work and low and behold, there is a Times and Post Tribune right there waiting for me to read it. Total cost to me? $0, total cost to someone else? $whatever they are stupid enough to pay

I remember when the Times was an afternoon paper, it was so much better, but now, it just sucks. If I want local news, I buy the Chesterton Tribune to get local coverage, since the times never covers anything east of the County Line. To the Times, Lake County is local in Porter County

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:45 pm 
Banned

Now, Sparks. I am savy by not subscribing to ANY NEWSPAPER. I CAN READ EVERY PAPER I want on-line. Once in a blue moon I split with 50 cents outside a restaurant so I can be all alone and eat & read.

I would think the one on Torrence would have been fixed by now; it's been a few months. Obviously, the guy is keeping money and his papers. Now that's being savy. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:38 pm 

I used to have a site bookmarked that would give you the the front page of about every major newspaper. I used to scan through about 50 US papers on occasion but now I think those 50 are down to about 30 after mergers and going belly up.

As was said, without local news what good is the local papers?

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:50 pm 

Mirage wrote:
I used to have a site bookmarked that would give you the the front page of about every major newspaper.

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

β€œAt the core of liberalism is the spoiled child β€” miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:33 am 

Actually the one I was thinking of had the front pages laid out in rows & columns but that link at least has them available. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:12 am 
Banned

Thanks, Arc. Leave it to you to pop in once in awhile with great advice.

How about starting that Quickly Column and a Backtalk Column, since the Times went down?

Sure miss your snippets....they made my day!