Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tip a state cop, catch a jerk driver
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:22 pm 

Once again the Post Trib has a story worth discussing, but has the comments link disabled.

So I thought I'd post it here because it seems worthy of discussion.

BTW I have NEVER seen a cop state or other wise pull a car over for speeding on 80/94.

Tip a state cop, catch a jerk driver
Comments

October 1, 2010
BY JERRY DAVICH, METRO COLUMNIST jdavich@post-trib.com (219) 648-3107

The flashy red sports car swerved recklessly in and out of traffic along Inter-state 94.

Heading westbound near Cline Avenue, the young driver turned this evening commute into some sort of video game, dodging vehicles while speeding more than 90 mph.

"Where's a cop when you need one?" I thought to myself as the sports car blew my doors off.

But, of course, there's no cop to be found and that young punk kept cruising.

Has this ever happened to you? Or have you noticed the same repeat offenders when it comes to traffic violations on your daily orbits or commutes?

If so, I have good news for you. The Indiana State Police is looking for these kinds of motorists, as well as traffic violation "hot spots" across the region. And they're looking for your help."

"I read Quickly every day and sometimes I find a comment about a location that needs attention, and I will usually check it out and see if I can help there," said ISP Master Trooper Jeffrey Matson, the motorcycle officer I shadowed for my Labor Day column.

"But a comprehensive list of locations from Post-Tribune readers in the region could help me and the other motorcycle officers target these violations."

What's that, you ask? Why should you help police identify these traffic violation hot spots? You mean, beyond making our roads safer and cutting down on possible crashes, injuries and fatalities?

How about a little give and take here, by first having me reveal a few "fishing spots" that the State Police routinely patrol for violators? And then you share with me any similar hot spots? Fair enough?

OK, existing hot spots include the intersection of U.S. 6 and Meridian Road, and U.S. 30 and Silhavy Road in Valparaiso, where motorists disregard the "no turn on red" signs there.

A similar problem takes place at U.S. 30 and Broadway in Merrill-ville.(Since when is Merrillville spelled with a hyphen?)

Another common violation is vehicles passing improperly, either by using a turn lane or by driving off the road to pass vehicles waiting for traffic to clear before making a left turn. This takes place often at Indiana 149 and County Road 700 North in Porter County.

A major violation is motorists who pass a school bus with its stop-arm extended.

"We generally don't know where this type of violation is happening, but if your readers can pinpoint the times and locations, that will help us target the violators," Matson said.

The ISP also is looking for extremely high-speeding violations on all of the interstates in the region.

As well as vehicles that follow too closely and make unsafe lane changes.

"Many of the hot-spot locations are within cities or towns, and the local officers are just too busy to specifically patrol those areas," Matson said.

"So it is not fair to complain about the local police department, and many people just don't realize that not every department has the manpower to staff a full traffic patrol unit."

Since ISP officers are targeting crash causation factors while on patrol, they are paying more attention to intersections where drivers are violating automatic signals, "no turn on red" signs and stop signs.

Matson and his fellow traffic officers patrol all of Northwest Indiana, including Lake, Porter, LaPorte, Jasper, Newton and Pulaski counties.

So go ahead and vent on those erratic, drunken or reckless drivers who've been annoying you for years and feel free to contact me as a liaison to the ISP.

"Any location is fair game," Matson said.

More helpful input from you

β€œAt the core of liberalism is the spoiled child β€” miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: Tip a state cop, catch a jerk driver
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:52 pm 

Are we supposed to text tips to them - that's how Valpo has it set up!