Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Unions Hold Road Work Hostage With Their Greed
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:31 am 

My FAVORITE by far is the one where the union guys hired non-union people at minimum wage and no benefits to picket Wal-Mart for them..... :smt005 :smt006

Typical.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:13 am 

The above post does speak volumes about union greed. Add to that the large number of "Union Yes" bumperstickers and ugly local jackets you can spot in any WalMart parking lot on any given Friday and, well, the defense rests.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:43 am 

Hey!...look what the union did for General Motors under the obama watch.

Quote:
General Motors Rapidly Becoming a Taxpayer-Funded, Disingenuous Leftist Entity
Big Government, by Seton Motley

General Motors (GM) continues apace its government-backed conversion from a company existing to manufacture automobiles for money – into a fully-formed, Leftist ideological entity working as another wing of the Barack Obama Administration’s fundamental transformation of America. A de facto non-profit organization posing as a for-profit car joint. That seems less and less concerned with designing cars people want, and is instead looking to redesign the nation – with products and policies Americans have time and again demonstrated they don’t want anything to do with.

http://biggovernment.com/smotley/2011/0 ... st-entity/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:07 pm 

Will sportsplex halt strike?

CROWN POINT | City officials hope to halt a work stoppage that could slow the start of Junior Bulldog playing season.

Officials on Monday approved an amendment to a contract with unions involved in a $4 million improvement project to the city-owned North Street sports complex, where about 900 youths participate in Junior Bulldog football.

Work on the project was stopped early last week after International Union of Operating Engineers Local 150 launched a strike.

The amendment, which applies only to the sports complex project, permits all trade union work there to resume. The amendment was approved Monday by the city's Board of Public Works and Safety and must still be signed by a Local 150 official.

Work on the project can resume within a day of it being signed, union officials said at Monday's meeting.

The continued interruption in the work means the ground would not be sufficiently prepared for the mid-July installation of artificial turf on two combined football/soccer playing fields, project manager Jeff Ban said.

Junior Bulldog playing season begins in early August.

"This interim agreement is vital," Ban said. A condensed work schedule and overtime could be necessary to get the work done on time for football season, Ban said.

"All the parties involved are looking at what's in the kids' best interest," Mayor David Uran said. "The kids were being caught up in a labor dispute."

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm 

The so called engineers of the roadway want more money but the don't give a damn about the local people they are destroying. In these troubled times, every penny counts. They managed to hold off their work stoppage until it put hanrdships on many in every work area. Take downtown Griffith for instance. It looks like a atom bomb hit it. The roadway is gone the stores are hard to get into, and the cash registers are empty. Some where down the line, maybe not at the present, someone is going to start a small riot. This is, what is happening around the world. revolts are taking place right and left for simple reasons, but people are getting sick and tired of the problems of the day. It's sad that this work stoppage has to be this way. You would think grown men could put an end to it.

Post subject: Proud union members.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:35 am 

here's something from a Local 150 member that appeared in the Times recently. From what I hear, the strike is almost over and the operators will bw back to work soon.
I am an operating engineer. We are the people who run the backhoes, cranes, bulldozers and high lifts that we all have seen at ground zero. Although the firefighters, police and volunteers are for sure all heroes in all our hearts, I have never heard a news reporter or a politician ever mention the operating engineers who have been there since almost day one.These folks have put tireless months in on this disaster, many of them sleeping on the site. I can't imagine no one ever noticed them.Most people see a piece of equipment running around and no one ever considers that there is someone in that machine making an effort to clean this up.There was even mention that the ironworkers were removing debris, but nothing of any size can be removed without an operating engineer and a piece of equipment.I was recently told of a school teacher in New York City who also noticed there had not been any mention of our people. She talked to her fifth-graders, and they wrote letters of thanks and hand delivered them to their heroes at ground zero.
Ralph Beck
Schererville

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/uncategorized/a ... z1QT1tkqs9

Post subject: Re: Proud union members.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:26 am 

sparks wrote:
here's something from a Local 150 member that appeared in the Times recently. From what I hear, the strike is almost over and the operators will bw back to work soon.
I am an operating engineer. We are the people who run the backhoes, cranes, bulldozers and high lifts that we all have seen at ground zero. Although the firefighters, police and volunteers are for sure all heroes in all our hearts, I have never heard a news reporter or a politician ever mention the operating engineers who have been there since almost day one.These folks have put tireless months in on this disaster, many of them sleeping on the site. I can't imagine no one ever noticed them.Most people see a piece of equipment running around and no one ever considers that there is someone in that machine making an effort to clean this up.There was even mention that the ironworkers were removing debris, but nothing of any size can be removed without an operating engineer and a piece of equipment.I was recently told of a school teacher in New York City who also noticed there had not been any mention of our people. She talked to her fifth-graders, and they wrote letters of thanks and hand delivered them to their heroes at ground zero.
Ralph Beck
Schererville

And, if they didn't have a "working contract" at the time, they more than likely would not have "pitched in"...for they are "in it to win it"...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:37 am 

sparks wrote:
Ralph Beck
Schererville

only thing missing from this guy is a cape.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:04 am 

sparks wrote:
many of them sleeping on the site.

What's so unusual about that? Show me a union laborer that hasn't slept on a job site and I will show you a Lake County politician concerned about honesty and efficiency.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:53 pm 

Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:
Ralph Beck
Schererville

only thing missing from this guy is a cape.

sparks wrote:
"... a cape and high heels can be fun ..."

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:44 am 

LoisLane wrote:
sparks wrote:
Ralph Beck
Schererville

And, if they didn't have a "working contract" at the time, they more than likely would not have "pitched in"...for they are "in it to win it"...

The entire purpose of a union is to collectively bargain for the best possible deal. The higher wages and benefits give members the ability to provide a better life for their families, volunteer in their community and to support local businesses,charities and churches. Since you hate unions so much, why don't you leave here? America is a union. Trust me, I don't think you'll be missed.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:33 am 

sparks wrote:
The entire purpose of a union is to collectively bargain for the best possible deal.
Really? For who?
sparks wrote:
The higher wages and benefits give members the ability to provide a better life for their families, volunteer in their community and to support local businesses,charities and churches. Since you hate unions so much, why don't you leave here? America is a union. Trust me, I don't think you'll be missed.
LABOR unions in this country are obsolete...and anti-American. How many jobs in this country have been driven to China, India, Mexico, and wherever? Try reading a newspaper. Or have someone read it to you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:36 am 

sparks wrote:
The entire purpose of a union is to collectively bargain for the best possible deal.

so going on strike in the midst a major roadway project putting the small business's at risk of closing is your idea of collective bargaining or getting the best possible deal?

GFY

The REAL enemy of the unions isn't the ''big greedy companies'' anymore....not by a longshot.

it's any and all competition, and it would put lazy know-it-all buffoons like you out of a job in three goddamn seconds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:48 am 

sparks wrote:

sure pal,

you mean just like these ''brothers''?

Quote:
Connecticut Unions Have Trouble
Reading Hand Writing on Wall

Canada Free Press, by Warner Todd Huston

Cities, counties and states (not to mention the federal gov’t) all across the country are overspent, out of cash, and deeply in the red. One reality that has been hitting all these government entities has been a series of tough negotiations with government employee unions. Unions are loathe to take cuts, certainly, but the reality is that in many cases it’s either cuts or layoffs. More and more unions are realizing this and taking the cuts to avoid losing jobs. The foolish government employees in Connecticut seem to be insensible to reality, though.

Strangely enough, even the government union bosses in Connecticut understood the pickle they were in. Union bigwigs negotiated cuts with the Democrat controlled state legislature and Democrat Governor Daniel Malloy. They did this with the understanding that none of their rank and file would lose their job.

Unfortunately for the unions, many of the members seem too foolish to “get” it. They voted the concessions down. Now Governor Malloy is saying he has little choice but to get rid of thousands of workers.

Nice move, fellows.

http://canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/37962

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:58 pm 

LoisLane wrote:
sparks wrote:
Really? For who?
This question is moronic,even for you.
sparks wrote:
The higher wages and benefits give members the ability to provide a better life for their families, volunteer in their community and to support local businesses,charities and churches. Since you hate unions so much, why don't you leave here? America is a union. Trust me, I don't think you'll be missed.
LABOR unions in this country are obsolete...and anti-American. How many jobs in this country have been driven to China, India, Mexico, and wherever? Try reading a newspaper. Or have someone read it to you.
Unions will never become "obsolete". United we bargain, divided we beg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next