Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stock Market Tumbles Since Obama Election
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:37 am 

CPWatcher wrote:
Mirage wrote:
CPWatcher wrote:
Reduce all government salaries to 10% of their present level until the economy recovers.

That will give them an opportunity to better understand how average working Americans explain to their families that they may have to reduce their standard of living.

While that may sound nice all it does is penalize the majority of government workers who earn their pay instead of the policy makers and elected who made the mess.

But rather than a 10% pay reduction I have to side with a 10%+ reduction in government bureaucracy and the elimination of numerous unnecessary departments.

I recommended reducing government salaries TO 10% of their present level until the economy turns around. Pay for Performance.

You will be amazed at how fast the economy turns.

If Congressmen, Cabinet members and other upper level government employees failed to perform, they would be driven from public office along with their nepotisticly employed family members. Lower level employees would provide great pressure.

It would put a bit of their skin in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:26 am 

Wow - look at that stock market rise today!
http://www.nwi.com/articles/2009/03/23/updates/breaking_news/doc49c776ba369c7671167283.txt
I swear President Obama is a genius - got to be the greatest president ever. I don't know what's he's doing but it sure as heck is working.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:37 am 

I think because it's the 23rd... :?

On odd numbered days, all is well and it's a great time to buy.

On even numbered days, we are all doomed and it's going to get a lot worse.

Those community organizers sure have their act together...yes?

:mrgreen: :smt006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:14 pm 

All I had to do was suggest that government pay be reduced until a turnaround and the market took off.

It proves what a good idea tying government pay to performance was!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:10 pm 

Why wouldn't the market rally? After all we...you and me...just paid for all the banks bad assests. We keep paying for it and they keep on getting richer. Note: all bank stocks were up bigtime today. Aren't those the same bad assets that caused this to begin with. Sorry, Obama works for wall street and the bankers...at our expense. :roll: :smt006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:30 am 

(Wall Street Jornal - March, 24, 2009) WASHINGTON -- The Obama administration, after months of criticizing Wall Street, has been scrambling to woo top bankers and financiers to back its latest bailout plan.

Today's Rasmussen Poll shows Obama's Approval less Disapproval rating at only +4%.

When Obama was inaugurated two months ago it was +25%

He is burning through political capital pretty fast. It looks like he is the front man for the liberal Democrats. When news of waste and misuse of public funds makes the headlines, his popularity may drop further.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:49 am 

I just heard Geithner say that the taxpayers are not guaranteed a loss. Interesting that the banks who created all this are in a win, win situation, yet, the taxpayers are still on the hook. Goes to show Obama could care less about us . All he cares about is spending to push his far left, big government plans right up our azzes. He's a fraud. :smt005 :smt006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:25 am 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:59 pm 

USMarine wrote:
I think because it's the 23rd... :?
On odd numbered days, all is well and it's a great time to buy.
On even numbered days, we are all doomed and it's going to get a lot worse.
Those community organizers sure have their act together...yes?
:mrgreen: :smt006

Today is an even numbered day....

We're all DOOMED; Run FOR YOUR LIVES

DJIA
7,660.21 :shock: -115.65
-1.49%

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:49 pm 

Obama isn't a leader, he is a lawyer.

That is why he comes across as still campaigning.

He is an advocate not a leader.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:25 pm 

comedian wrote:
I just heard Geithner say that the taxpayers are not guaranteed a loss. Interesting that the banks who created all this are in a win, win situation, yet, the taxpayers are still on the hook. Goes to show Obama could care less about us . All he cares about is spending to push his far left, big government plans right up our azzes. He's a fraud. :smt005 :smt006

While it's true that taxpaying consumers are getting the double shaft in pure terms it really doesn't matter what the end result is, gain, loss, or neutral, because the ends don't justify the means. The government should neither be doing bailouts nor discussing nationalizing the banks. And I do not believe the need for haste in supposedly addressing the situation because as they say haste makes waste. And it has! And it is still not really fixed yet.

At the very most maybe the government should have helped create a market to get bad loans off the books, except we are only now even getting around to something like that.

Is it any wonder why the Chinese don't want to be paid in dollars anymore? We print money to pay debt, which actually just costs more money. But we aren't stopping there! We just keep on spending. :x

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:53 pm 

At a time whe we are facing the worst economy since Jimmy Carter, we need leadership not a community organizer dedicated to class warfare.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:18 am 

Panning Geithner's Plan: Why Treasury's Toxic Assets Program Stinks

Though the stock market may have lifted off on news of Treasury Timothy Geithner's purchase plan for toxic assets, don't be fooled by Wall Street's optimism. The plan is even worse than the one floated by Geithner's predecessor, Henry Paulson, last fall. At least Paulson wanted the government simply to buy the banking industry's junk outright-and spend less doing so...

...The administration is caught up in crafting big plans to solve the problems of big banks. Instead, it should be dissecting the system into transparent, quantifiable, and understandable parts-and then dealing with those elements that can and should be assisted. Geithner ought to jettison the too-big-to-fail nonsense and keep it simple: Break up the banks into their commercial and speculative parts, and separate the assets along similar lines. Let the speculative parts die, and tend to the rest. As it stands, the present solution-propping up the entire system in a complex, highly leveraged manner that depends on the kindness of the culprits that caused this mess-is a colossally expensive exercise in bipartisan stupidity. -Mother Jones

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2009/03/25-9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:32 am 

Just saw this commercial that said you better pay your taxes or it will catch up with you. LMAO it seems to have worked out pretty well for the Treasury Secretary. Say, maybe that's why he comes up with these grand proposals? There are no consequences for "the chosen few." ;)

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:09 am 

Wall Street and bankers=Obama. All one has to do is look at his appointments which all equal the very same one's who had a hand in this mess. His latest outcry is nothing more than angering people so government can step in and gain more control....a power grab unlimited beyond belief. Geithner is calling for more government control over any company that may go bankrupt. A seizing and nationalisation? I believe so.

http://harpers.org/archive/2009/03/hbc-90004606

I reported back in February on the case of Gary Gensler, the former Goldman Sachs employee and derivatives cheerleader who President Obama nominated to head the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC). Gensler’s nomination sailed through the Senate Agricultural Committee but Senator Bernie Sanders has placed a hold on the nomination (as has a second senator who is as yet unnamed). A statement from Sanders’s office said:

While Mr. Gensler is clearly an intelligent and knowledgeable person, I cannot support his nomination. Mr. Gensler worked with Sen. Phil Gramm and Alan Greenspan to exempt credit default swaps from regulation, which led to the collapse of A.I.G. and has resulted in the largest taxpayer bailout in U.S. history. He supported Gramm-Leach-Bliley, which allowed banks like Citigroup to become “too big to fail.” He worked to deregulate electronic energy trading, which led to the downfall of Enron and the spike in energy prices. At this moment in our history, we need an independent leader who will help create a new culture in the financial marketplace and move us away from the greed, recklessness and illegal behavior which has caused so much harm to our economy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 441 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next