Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: S.D. 157 - Leave It Alone
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:07 pm 
Banned

KT would be a good match for that St Louis reject at 215 they know how to waste taxpayers money..

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2006-08- ... -williams/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:39 am 

Yeah, this won't cost much. . . . .S.O.S.

The Times wrote:
D.157 hires residency detectives

BY JOAN CARREON
Times Correspondent | Thursday, January 22, 2009
CALUMET CITY | Like other school districts in the region, Hoover-Schrum Elementary District 157 will have two detective agencies investigate instances when a student's residency may be suspect.

The School Board has approved proposals from AP Private Detective Agency in Hazel Crest and Professional Research Investigations in Calumet City.

The district will pay AP Private Detective Agency $40 for each residency check and $45 per hour for surveillance and Professional Research Investigations $50 per hour, 50 cents per mile, and $25 for services that include tracking, video and photography.

http://www.thetimesonline.com/articles/ ... 0d1865.txt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:38 am 
Banned

Its about time they caught up with the Cheats......Most of them learned this in the Chicago Public School System...

How about that Question ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:17 pm 

Of course it will cost money, but why should our tax dollars pay for kids whose parents do not reside in our school district? Hopefully taking action like this will help deter others from tying to cheat the system and take advantage of our tax dollars. I see this as money well spent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:11 am 

funnyman wrote:
Of course it will cost money, but why should our tax dollars pay for kids whose parents do not reside in our school district? Hopefully taking action like this will help deter others from tying to cheat the system and take advantage of our tax dollars. I see this as money well spent.

Ok, looking beyond the $40 to $50 per hour these "detectives" will be getting, plus mileage, and whatever perks, there is NO MENTION as to how the school districts will recoup the tuition that these student's parents will owe. If they take the legal process, that could cost thousands of dollars that, I am sure, these parents, or grandmas, or whatever, do not have. Face it, these illegal kids are being sent to out of district schools just to get away from their environment. It is much easier for the parent to put their kid on a PACE bus than it is to relocate to Calumet City.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:35 pm 
Banned

LoisLane wrote:
funnyman wrote:

Ok, looking beyond the $40 to $50 per hour these "detectives" will be getting, plus mileage, and whatever perks, there is NO MENTION as to how the school districts will recoup the tuition that these student's parents will owe. If they take the legal process, that could cost thousands of dollars that, I am sure, these parents, or grandmas, or whatever, do not have. Face it, these illegal kids are being sent to out of district schools just to get away from their environment. It is much easier for the parent to put their kid on a PACE bus than it is to relocate to Calumet City.

What part of misdemeanor or illegal don't you understand

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:35 pm 

My God, this is worse than the old board....Don't you people read newspapers? We are in a very deep recession. Totally unacceptable. You know, it might be a different story if this school district had some "stellar teachers", but all I ever see is a failing system. Now we reward them with 12% over 3 years with full dental and vision insurance! All for a 9 month part-time job. And spare me the teachers union rep. I have even lower respect for the unions.

Answer one question: Where is the money coming from?

The Times wrote:
D.157 extends vision, dental care

BY JOAN CARREON
Times Correspondent | Friday, February 13, 2009
CALUMET CITY | For the first time in school history, a new, three-year contract for Hoover Schrum Elementary District 157 teachers, paraprofessionals and secretaries will offer dental and vision benefits to members of all three employee groups.

One day after it was unanimously ratified by the union's rank and file, the landmark agreement won approval from the School Board on Tuesday. Board President Natalie Barnes and Vice President Kelsy Cowley did not attend; and member Kenneth Taylor was not present for the contract vote.

"I'm very pleased," said union President Susan Henke. "It shows the School Board and union are working together and philosophically share the same goals,"

The deal provides union members with pay raises of 4 percent in each of the three years, the option of taking part in dental and optical plans beginning July 1, a wellness plan reimbursement of up to $100 this year, pay for teachers who may substitute for other teachers, and teacher stipends for new offerings at Hoover Elementary School such as intramurals, choir and a male mentoring program.

It also includes evaluation procedural guidelines for employees - something which previously was only in the district's administrative manual.

Henke, who also teaches at Schrum Memorial School, said having such information in the contract gives more "structure and meaning" to employee evaluations.

The pact is retroactive to July 1 and continues through June 30, 2011. It covers 64 full-time teachers, 18 paraprofessionals and six secretaries. Two part-time, Title I nonunion teachers also will receive salaries and benefits under the plan, Henke said.

Because this was the first time the employee groups bargained together, negotiators were responsible for blending the contracts for all three units.

"It provides us with the parameters to effectively do our jobs and protect everyone's interests," said Michele Morris, District 157 superintendent.

Under the pact, the annual base salary for a beginning teacher with a bachelor's degree and no previous experience will go to $34,451 this year, $35,485 next year, and $36,550 in the final year. A teacher with a master's degree and 30 years of experience will receive $73,342 this year, $74,590 in 2009-10, and $75,815 in 2010-2011.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:05 pm 

Who said that they're getting full vision and dental? I didn't see that in the article. It says that they are being offered dental and vision. No where does it say that it's paid 100% by the district. You need to check your facts before you say things on the forum.

Also, you said that D157 doesn't have stellar teachers. How do you know that? Do your children go to that school? The school has made HUGE leaps and bounds. BOTH schools made AYP last year and I am confident they will make it again this year. The teachers work their a**es off trying to teach all of the children to be the best they can be. You also have to take into consideration what the teachers are dealing with at school. They are trying to teach students that come from the Inner City of Chicago, reading at 2 and 3 grade levels below grade level when they get here, a lot of them have no parents, only guardians, foster parents, aunts or grandparents raising them. It's a different world than it was when we went to school.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:59 am 

chugar52 wrote:
Who said that they're getting full vision and dental? I didn't see that in the article. It says that they are being offered dental and vision. No where does it say that it's paid 100% by the district. You need to check your facts before you say things on the forum.

Also, you said that D157 doesn't have stellar teachers. How do you know that? Do your children go to that school? The school has made HUGE leaps and bounds. BOTH schools made AYP last year and I am confident they will make it again this year. The teachers work their a**es off trying to teach all of the children to be the best they can be. You also have to take into consideration what the teachers are dealing with at school. They are trying to teach students that come from the Inner City of Chicago, reading at 2 and 3 grade levels below grade level when they get here, a lot of them have no parents, only guardians, foster parents, aunts or grandparents raising them. It's a different world than it was when we went to school.

Where does it say that I am obligated to raise these kids? Why do I have to feed them? My only obligation is to educate them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:14 am 

My comment was about what the teachers have to go through to teach the children. In your first post you commented that we don't have "stellar teachers". I think we do. The teachers are working with a good number of students that are way below average when they come into this district and they work hard with the students. To me it shows since both schools made AYP. It takes excellent teachers to be able to do that with students that they are teaching.

In your first comment you asked where the money was coming from. The money is there already or the district would not have offered dental and vision. Diustrict 157 works in the black. They do not go in the red to offer something to employees. The district will pay a portion of the premium for dental and vision, which is typically a very small amount. The surrounding districts offer dental and vision and D157 is just trying to be competitive to be able to retain and attract good teachers. Whether you believe this or not, the school district is still a business and just like in any business you offer benefits that are going to attract good employees.

As far as feeding the students, there was NO mention about that in your earlier post, but while we're on that subject, State law mandates that the district offers breakfast and lunch to the students.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:58 am 

chugar52 wrote:
As far as feeding the students, there was NO mention about that in your earlier post, but while we're on that subject, State law mandates that the district offers breakfast and lunch to the students.

Then I guess we know one of the reasons this state is so screwed up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:48 pm 

LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:

The State of Illinois is not the only State that provides free meals to low income kids. I've read studies that have indicated that spending for food was worth the cost showing that the grades have improved because of such programs, citing that a hungry kid has problems learning and also worrying where there next meal is coming from.

LoisLane is also critical about the latest D157 teacher's contract. You state that D157 do not have stellar teachers, based on what? D157 has made AYP and have shown yearly improvement in academics. Just because the schools may not meet or exceed the state averages do not mean they are failing, you have to judge their record based on improvement and outlook for the future and the abilities of the students. The teachers have done a very good job in D157, and the board has to be competitive with other school districts to be able to retain or recruit quality teachers. It’s no different than any other business. Do you think big companies provide benefits because they want to, I don’t think so, it’s because they have to to remain competitive in the employment race. Same thing applies to school systems. Do the unions force the issue, oh yes they do which makes it even more difficult for school boards. The negotiating teams on both sides of the table know what other school districts are offering and paying their teachers. I agree, the economy is tough, but the kids must still be educated and the school systems must remain competitive.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:35 pm 
Banned

Hey funnyman get rid of TENURE and then see where the teachers stand with school boards....How many people in industry
have just about a lifetime guarantee for keeping their jobs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:50 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
Hey funnyman get rid of TENURE and then see where the teachers stand with school boards....How many people in industry
have just about a lifetime guarantee for keeping their jobs

I totally agree with you oldtimer, but getting rid of tenure will not happen. Before tenure it was a common practice for school systems to have cut backs and let the more experienced teachers go and then later hire new collage graduates to save money. I’m a firm believer in “pay for performance” for individuals but that has gone out the window when it comes to unions for the most part. It’s a fact that there is dead wood amongst experienced teachers who are burned out and don’t care and hiding under their tenure and contract. I don’t see a movement in the future in breaking teacher’s unions and the elimination of tenure so school boards have to work within the system as it is.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 pm 

funnyman wrote:
LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:

The State of Illinois is not the only State that provides free meals to low income kids. I've read studies that have indicated that spending for food was worth the cost showing that the grades have improved because of such programs, citing that a hungry kid has problems learning and also worrying where there next meal is coming from.

LoisLane is also critical about the latest D157 teacher's contract. You state that D157 do not have stellar teachers, based on what? D157 has made AYP and have shown yearly improvement in academics. Just because the schools may not meet or exceed the state averages do not mean they are failing, you have to judge their record based on improvement and outlook for the future and the abilities of the students. The teachers have done a very good job in D157, and the board has to be competitive with other school districts to be able to retain or recruit quality teachers. It’s no different than any other business. Do you think big companies provide benefits because they want to, I don’t think so, it’s because they have to to remain competitive in the employment race. Same thing applies to school systems. Do the unions force the issue, oh yes they do which makes it even more difficult for school boards. The negotiating teams on both sides of the table know what other school districts are offering and paying their teachers. I agree, the economy is tough, but the kids must still be educated and the school systems must remain competitive. You are absolutely right, I am critical. Someone should be.

You answered your own question.
I agree with oldtimer. When teachers get a foothold, you can't get rid of them. And perhaps it is the older teachers bogging down the newer. As for unions, why can't they be forced to give a little? The UAW will have to, or they'll be out on their butts. Sorry, I am not sympathetic for: feeding the students, giving out 12% raises (and other perks), and rewarding "employees" for doing a lackluster job. If any other industry had employees that performed BELOW average, how long would they be in business? Thing is you have these union teachers knowing they will be back next year, and serve out their time just to collect a nice pension.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next