Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: S.D. 157 - Leave It Alone
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:24 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
Sorry I got old......Sorry I got negative.... If the B average policy got a winner why change it.....to this exception thing....

That was also explained in the news paper a few weeks ago. A few months ago some parents came to the school board and complained that the standard was to high in D157 since the State requirement was C average. The new proposal did not lower the current requirement but it does allow some flexibility for a student/athlete who is struggling to maintain a B average and for some reason, their grade slipped for one week for whatever reason. It could be the child missed school and struggled with some homework or a test because they missed the interaction within a classroom. If the principal decides the student is making a valiant effort to get their grade up, the principal can give the student the benefit of the doubt and allow that student to participate in the extracurricular event. I think a student that is maintaining a B average for the most part should not be penalized from participating in the extracurricular event and I think letting the principal the flexibility to scrutinize is a good idea. We are not talking about the difference between a C and a D, we are talking about average to above average grades. Yes, this year’s team won a State Championship with the current policy, but we are not just talking about basketball when it comes to this policy.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:48 pm 
Banned

As you become to get older you realize that everybody is looking for a loophole (look at our current mayor) in life and I really don't think its necessary in our education system...."..flexibility to scrutinize " sure sounds like one

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:42 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
As you become to get older you realize that everybody is looking for a loophole (look at our current mayor) in life and I really don't think its necessary in our education system...."..flexibility to scrutinize " sure sounds like one

I’m not that young, upper 50’s. I’ve seen how people and politicians use the system, how greed has taken over good judgment by many. My 401K has taken a big hit to remind me!! Perhaps one thing you might not realize, the student/athletes grades, including discipline, are checked on a weekly basis, therefore, it’s not just their report card grades that needs to keep a B average. As I explained before, any person, including a child, can have a bad day or week where their performance is affected. This is the reason why the Principal should, and now has the authority to scrutinize the child’s progress. I think we all have bigger things to worry about other than whether or not a Principal is using the system when they are scrutinizing if a student if maintaining a B average and it It’s slipping for the week they are checking.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:58 am 

chugar52 wrote:
The Principal can make an exception IF the child is trying their hardest, turning ALL of their homework in, participating in class, trying exceptionally hard to understand, etc. However, she didn't have to make any exceptions at all because the students ALL maintained a B average all year long. Even IF the Principal made an exception for a child one week, that is still what the State's standard is, so it's still not lowering the Standards. The exception is only for 1 week at a time. It is not for the entire year. You know as well as I do that sometimes a person tries their hardest but just doesn't understand a particular lesson. That holds true for children and adults.

Then what you are saying is that it is alright to reward a C average for students, the same as it is alright to reward a teacher for performing below average. Now I am beginning to see what you are getting at.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:51 am 

How do you see that as rewarding a C? The grade of C is AVERAGE, not below average and it is the State School Code that says that a child has to have a C in order to participate in extracurricular activities? That was D157's policy until it was changed a few weeks ago stating that a child has to have a B and occassionally an exception. NO child will be allowed to participate if they have a grade of a D or F, both of which are BELOW average.

How do you say that the teachers are performing below average when they are teaching students that come in 2 and 3 grade levels below and they bring those children up and at least 70% of the students are meeting or exceeding standards, which is what is required to meet NCLB. ALL unions negotiates a contract and the employees get a certain percentage per year raise. It is not just teachers, it is auto workers, plumbers, electricians, teachers, paraprofessionals, secretaries, general office staff, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. You are downing the district for giving the teachers a raise, but no matter what business it is, if there is a union, there is a contract that is negotiated between the union and management. It seems to me that you just don't understand unions at all and the binding contracts that they have with the administration. Just try not following the contract and see what happens. I believe 2 years ago all kinds of grievances were being filed by the teachers because Rosemary Hendricks didn't follow the contract. Do you want all of that chaos again in our district? I certainly don't!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:52 am 

Imagine, getting a BONUS just for doing your job? Total Fiscal Irresponsibility. Will Superintendent Morris be getting a BONUS too? Where does it end?
The Times wrote:
Hoover principal to get bonus

CALUMET CITY | Hoover Elementary School's principal is being given an extra $1,976 in pay for special recognition the Calumet City school received this year.

The School Board on Tuesday unanimously approved a one-time, 2 percent bonus for Principal Kathy Bearden-Colbert after Hoover was named as a 2008 Spotlight School Award winner for its continued academic progress.

Superintendent Michele Morris said Bearden-Colbert's contract includes a financial incentive when the school makes Adequate Yearly Progress, or AYP, on the Illinois Standards Achievement Test, or ISAT. But in lieu of the salary increase requested by Bearden-Colbert, the district opted to give her a bonus.

"It was a better decision, fiscally," Morris said.

When the board decides on administrator pay raises for 2009-10, Bearden-Colbert's increase will be based only on her current annual $98,800 salary.

Hoover was among nearly 500 schools across the state to receive the Spotlight Schools honor from the Illinois State Board of Education.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:04 pm 

Yet more, O-BAMA-NOMICS, spend, spend, spend, tax, tax, tax...
The Times wrote:
D.157 nonunion employees to get 4 percent pay raise

Some Hoover-Schrum Elementary District 157 nonunion employees will be getting a 4 percent pay raise this year.

The increase takes effect July 1 and was approved by the School Board last week.

It applies to about 25 employees and includes full- and part-time custodians, two part-time nurses and two full-time central office secretaries, Business Manager Alicia Evans said.

The pay hike is identical to what teachers, paraprofessionals and union secretaries are receiving in each of the three years covered by the district's contract with the three employee groups.

The board has not yet acted on pay raises for administrators.

What happens when the well runs dry? (and it will)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:20 am 

Lois Lane, why is it that you feel no one should get a raise? I think it would be discriminatory to give all of the union employees a raise, and not give one to the non union employees. Do you work a job and never get a raise? I don't. I get a raise in pay, so why shouldn't the people at the school get a raise? This has NOTHING to do with Obama. People work at a job every day, except for holidays and vacations, and most people get raises yearly.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:37 pm 

chugar52 wrote:
Lois Lane, why is it that you feel no one should get a raise? I think it would be discriminatory to give all of the union employees a raise, and not give one to the non union employees. Do you work a job and never get a raise? I don't. I get a raise in pay, so why shouldn't the people at the school get a raise? This has NOTHING to do with Obama. People work at a job every day, except for holidays and vacations, and most people get raises yearly.

12% raises (over 3 years), bonuses, blah blah blah...Where will it come from...The past governor of Illinois has this state so screwed up, how do you even know if you'll get state aid, let alone tax monies? A lot of wishful thinking. And, if you haven't noticed, River Oaks Mall is pretty empty now-a-days. And, in case you haven't read it, the Great City of Calumet City is going to install a shroud of "red light cameras" around the perimeter of the mall. That will chase away the remaining shoplifters (er, I mean shoppers) Again, what color is the sky in your world? Spend, spend, spend...tax, tax, tax...O-Bama-Nomics.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 8:36 pm 

LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:

12% raises (over 3 years), bonuses, blah blah blah...Where will it come from...The past governor of Illinois has this state so screwed up, how do you even know if you'll get state aid, let alone tax monies? A lot of wishful thinking. And, if you haven't noticed, River Oaks Mall is pretty empty now-a-days. And, in case you haven't read it, the Great City of Calumet City is going to install a shroud of "red light cameras" around the perimeter of the mall. That will chase away the remaining shoplifters (er, I mean shoppers) Again, what color is the sky in your world? Spend, spend, spend...tax, tax, tax...O-Bama-Nomics.

What does stores closing in RO mall have to do with income for the school district. The schools do not benefit from sales tax, they get income from property tax which remains the same whether or not the mall has occupants or not. Your knowledge of school finance makes your comments questionable. D157 is working in the red, has been for decades. You cannot maintain a working force if you don’t give people fair annual raises saying we think our income is going to be lower in the years to come because Lois Lane say so. Is it wise to plan for the future, but when there is a steady income and only speculation that the income from property tax will drop, that will not fly. If you look at the financial history of D157, I don’t think you would ever see a decrease in the schools income based on property tax revenues dropping and property tax income represents the greatest revenue for D157. In regards to a bonus paid to an administrator, this more than likely was written into their employment contract and I believe the administrator in question was hired by the board that was forced out 2 years ago in the 2007 election. If you recall, that old board did a lot of crazy things with contracts. Even if the current board or Superintendent did not like the idea of issuing a bonus payment, their hands would be tied by the contract. A little history as to how crazy this old board was. The administrator who received this bonus was re-hired after they forced out Dr. Molin and the Assistant Principal that took her place. This person was released when the new Hoover school was built removing the need for 2 principals. This released administrator sued D157 and they still hired this person years later. Makes no sense to me.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:55 am 

funnyman wrote:
LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:

What does stores closing in RO mall have to do with income for the school district. The schools do not benefit from sales tax, they get income from property tax which remains the same whether or not the mall has occupants or not. Your knowledge of school finance makes your comments questionable. D157 is working in the red, has been for decades. You cannot maintain a working force if you don’t give people fair annual raises saying we think our income is going to be lower in the years to come because Lois Lane say so. Is it wise to plan for the future, but when there is a steady income and only speculation that the income from property tax will drop, that will not fly. If you look at the financial history of D157, I don’t think you would ever see a decrease in the schools income based on property tax revenues dropping and property tax income represents the greatest revenue for D157. In regards to a bonus paid to an administrator, this more than likely was written into their employment contract and I believe the administrator in question was hired by the board that was forced out 2 years ago in the 2007 election. If you recall, that old board did a lot of crazy things with contracts. Even if the current board or Superintendent did not like the idea of issuing a bonus payment, their hands would be tied by the contract. A little history as to how crazy this old board was. The administrator who received this bonus was re-hired after they forced out Dr. Molin and the Assistant Principal that took her place. This person was released when the new Hoover school was built removing the need for 2 principals. This released administrator sued D157 and they still hired this person years later. Makes no sense to me.

You answered my question, thank you...
...and how do you think an empty River Oaks will impact the school district? Ask Harvey.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:33 pm 

Lois Lane, were you at the meeting where the Business Manager of D157 gave the budget report? District 157 is working in the BLACK, not RED. I'm sure funnyman made a typo. As far as the taxes for River Oaks, it's the BUILDING that they get the property taxes from. If I move out of my house and it is empty, I still have to pay my property taxes. The same holds true for River Oaks. I guess you also don't realize that there are other businesses that have opened up in CC in new strip malls, so there is more property tax money. I hate to say it Lois, but you have NO idea how school finances work at all.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:09 pm 

chugar52 wrote:
Lois Lane, were you at the meeting where the Business Manager of D157 gave the budget report? District 157 is working in the BLACK, not RED. I'm sure funnyman made a typo. As far as the taxes for River Oaks, it's the BUILDING that they get the property taxes from. If I move out of my house and it is empty, I still have to pay my property taxes. The same holds true for River Oaks. I guess you also don't realize that there are other businesses that have opened up in CC in new strip malls, so there is more property tax money. I hate to say it Lois, but you have NO idea how school finances work at all.

:shock: :shock: Opps.... I did make a mistake, I did mean working in the "Black". As a matter of fact, D157 has been one of the most financially sound school districts in the south suburbs for years and are today. I have attended board meetings over the years when then budget report is presented. So I guess I didn't answer your question then Lois, perhaps you answered yours since you seemed to have thought the district was working in the "Red".

Now having made all my comments, D157 should not be so comfort and they should always look ahead to see if there are revenue concerns in the future if that can be predicted and if there are viable signs of concerns, then they need to be more frugal financially. But considering history of D157 and their financial soundness, I’m not concerned about providing employees with annual raises, 3% to 4% is reasonable and typical compared to other school districts.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 pm 

chugar52 wrote:

Right. So let's look at it in simpler terms. Say SEARS goes belly up. then MACY's, then JCPenneys. Now you say that neither store pays property taxes to S.D. 157. (Iknow better, because SEARS has a history of contesting their property taxes) So, now these stores have moved away, and are empty. Naturally the little stores in the mall pack up and move out too. So, who picks up the tab for the property taxes on an empty building? The building management? No. He has a lot of empty square footage, so he files bankruptcy. So, where do the 4% annual raises come from for poor S.D. 157? Looks like they use their line of credit. But, the banks aren't giving out any credit. Now what? Rub your magic lamp and come up with an answer. Remember, commercial foreclosures will not impact this country until this summer. I guess I have NO idea how school finances work. I do have a grasp on reality, though.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:46 pm 

LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:

Right. So let's look at it in simpler terms. Say SEARS goes belly up. then MACY's, then JCPenneys. Now you say that neither store pays property taxes to S.D. 157. (Iknow better, because SEARS has a history of contesting their property taxes) So, now these stores have moved away, and are empty. Naturally the little stores in the mall pack up and move out too. So, who picks up the tab for the property taxes on an empty building? The building management? No. He has a lot of empty square footage, so he files bankruptcy. So, where do the 4% annual raises come from for poor S.D. 157? Looks like they use their line of credit. But, the banks aren't giving out any credit. Now what? Rub your magic lamp and come up with an answer. Remember, commercial foreclosures will not impact this country until this summer. I guess I have NO idea how school finances work. I do have a grasp on reality, though.

I guess you didn't read the whole article that was in the paper. District 157 has always been frugal for the most part, but they also have to remain competitive to keep good employees so they don't go someplace else.

Here is what you missed

D.157 business manager lauded

District 157 has received recognition status based on its latest financial profile.

Superintendent Michele Morris credited the achievement to the work of Business Manager Alicia Evans.

The annual profile offers a glimpse into a school district's financial health and the designation of financial recognition is the highest ranking.

The listing is compiled by the Illinois State Board of Education using five indicators of financial performance, from available cash to level of debt, and is based on an analysis of a districts' annual financial reports.

The district received the highest score possible in three of five areas, Morris said.

She said Evans considers the financial profile to be the adequate yearly progress report for a school district's business department.

"Kudos to your, Alicia Evans, for a job well done, and hats off to you for meeting your AYP," Morris said.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next