Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: S.D. 157 - Leave It Alone
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:09 pm 

chugar52 wrote:
Lois, sometimes you are totally clueless and this is one of those times. How does this smack of abuse??? The Board members go to conferences and get cash advances for meals. These cards replace cash. It is NOT an opened ended credit card that can be used for anything and everything. It is to be used for LEGITIMATE expenditures, such as food. There would be limits, such as the dollar amount and also places that it can be used for. I know a person who has such a card for use with the company that she works for. She said that there are blocks on the card so that it can't be used at certain places such as liquor stores or novelty shops. I would think that D157 would do the same thing. The other benefit of having the purchasing card is that the Board members aren't carrying money. I would assume that they would turn in the cards when they got back from a conference, so it's not like they could just use it anytime they want. It is STRICTLY for School Board business, which right now they get cash advances for School Board business. To me this is a much better way to track expenditures. The district doesn't risk possibly not getting the leftover cash back.
Clueless? Just what are you going to do when a board member can't account for "certain purchases"? Are you going to force him/her to reimburse the district? Sorry, there are just too many instances in the news where people, supposedly responsible people, that totally abuse the funds trusted to them. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with turning in receipts and being reimbursed.

I was on a board once, not so long ago, where a board member was attending conferences and turning receipts in for the (board I was a member) AND the school board he was working for. the conference was for either/or school or the other board. He was double dipping, and when he got caught, he was fired from the board...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:16 pm 

LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:
Lois, sometimes you are totally clueless and this is one of those times. How does this smack of abuse??? The Board members go to conferences and get cash advances for meals. These cards replace cash. It is NOT an opened ended credit card that can be used for anything and everything. It is to be used for LEGITIMATE expenditures, such as food. There would be limits, such as the dollar amount and also places that it can be used for. I know a person who has such a card for use with the company that she works for. She said that there are blocks on the card so that it can't be used at certain places such as liquor stores or novelty shops. I would think that D157 would do the same thing. The other benefit of having the purchasing card is that the Board members aren't carrying money. I would assume that they would turn in the cards when they got back from a conference, so it's not like they could just use it anytime they want. It is STRICTLY for School Board business, which right now they get cash advances for School Board business. To me this is a much better way to track expenditures. The district doesn't risk possibly not getting the leftover cash back.
Clueless? Just what are you going to do when a board member can't account for "certain purchases"? Are you going to force him/her to reimburse the district? Sorry, there are just too many instances in the news where people, supposedly responsible people, that totally abuse the funds trusted to them. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with turning in receipts and being reimbursed.

I was on a board once, not so long ago, where a board member was attending conferences and turning receipts in for the (board I was a member) AND the school board he was working for. the conference was for either/or school or the other board. He was double dipping, and when he got caught, he was fired from the board...

There is NO money to be turned in with the purchasing cards. The pruchases are accounted for because it is ALL done electronically. They will still need to turn receipts in, but in the even that the receipts are lost, there is still a record. You obvisouly don't understand the purchasing card. It's very similar to a debit card, but the Administration can put restrictions on the cards so they can only be used for certain things, such as food.

So, you were on a Board and a board member was working for the board and then got caught double dipping and was fired? Impossible. A Board Member can NOT work for the Board and can NOT work in the district that they are a Board Member of, so how can they be fired? A Board member can NOT be fired. They would have to be removed from office by the ROE and believe me, that is VERY difficult to do. Look at all the crap that went on with the "old board" and they were never ousted As far as double dipping, the cards prevent that because you have NO money that exchanges hands.

Last edited by chugar52 on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:21 pm 

chugar52 wrote:
LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:

There is NO money to be turned in with the purchasing cards. The pruchases are accounted for because it is ALL done electronically. They will still need to turn receipts in, but in the even that the receipts are lost, there is still a record. You obvisouly don't understand the purchasing card. It's very similar to a debit card, but the Administration can put restrictions on the cards so they can only be used for certain things, such as food.

So, you were on a Board and a board member was working for the board and then got caught double dipping and was fired? Impossible. A Board Member can NOT work for the Board and can NOT work in the district that they are a Board Member of. As far as double dipping, the cards prevent that because you have NO money that exchanges hands.
I didn't say I was on a damned school board...and the person double dipping was NOT on a school board. He was a school professor. Get it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:36 pm 

I didn't say I was on a damned school board...and the person double dipping was NOT on a school board. He was a school professor. Get it?quote]

A professor teaches at a University or College. The Board might be called something differnt, but it is still the same as a School Board for an elementray school. So, in essence, you were on a "school board".

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:27 pm 

chugar52 wrote:
I didn't say I was on a damned school board...and the person double dipping was NOT on a school board. He was a school professor. Get it?quote]

A professor teaches at a University or College. The Board might be called something differnt, but it is still the same as a School Board for an elementray school. So, in essence, you were on a "school board".
He was an employee (professor) at a college, and was on the same board as me. My board was not a school board...please don't try to figure it out!

It would be similar to a teacher attending the same conferences as board members...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:35 pm 

And, to confirm my suspicion about this board, I remember just before the election, there was a matter of some "missing or stolen" computer switches or routers and equipment. I don't remember hearing or reading that the "missing" equipment was ever recovered. If it wasn't, that reinforces my stance that this board just turns the other cheek and dismisses their problems. Just like the Hendricks settlement and the fear the board has in their dealings with the teachers union.

I don't feel the taxpayer should shoulder the loss, and I certainly DO NOT condone handing debit cards to any board members. Advance them transportation money, and make them turn in receipts. That system has worked well for years, and with a close eye on finances, there should be no concern for abuse. Period.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:33 am 

LoisLane wrote:
And, to confirm my suspicion about this board, I remember just before the election, there was a matter of some "missing or stolen" computer switches or routers and equipment. I don't remember hearing or reading that the "missing" equipment was ever recovered. If it wasn't, that reinforces my stance that this board just turns the other cheek and dismisses their problems. Just like the Hendricks settlement and the fear the board has in their dealings with the teachers union.

I don't feel the taxpayer should shoulder the loss, and I certainly DO NOT condone handing debit cards to any board members. Advance them transportation money, and make them turn in receipts. That system has worked well for years, and with a close eye on finances, there should be no concern for abuse. Period.

First off, it wasn't THIS board that was involved in the missing computer switches. That happened in January, 2007 while the OLD board with Ken Taylor, Shatika Head, Leslie Durr and Vera Brooks were at the helm and Rosemary Hendricks was still the CEO. One of the other Board members, Terri Morrison, questioned about the missing switches and eventually Hendricks showed them to her. They were in her office. Perhaps that never made the paper, but that is because the reporter from the Times reports on what action is taken on the the agenda items and the sxwitches were not an agenda item. One more thing - ALL of the Board Members that were tied in with Rosemary Hendricks were NOT reelected and it is because of all the shenanigans that they tried to pull. Now that would be a board that abused things.

As far as the purchasing cards are concerned, how do you think that giving someone CASH instead of a card is safer. The card would have ALL of the purchases listed and the Board Members still have to turn in receipts. I guess you didn't read that in the article, but I did because I read the whole article. It's not like they can just spend the money on anything and not turn in receipts. The cards are much safer than carrying cash and they are tracked electronically to see what the money is spent for. The receipts still need to be turned in, but in the event that a receipt would be lost, it is still posted on the card. If someone has cash and loses a receipt, how is that tracked? It's not. The board member has to estimate what the charge was, where as with the purchasing card, the exact amount is listed electronically, even if the receipt would be lost. To me the cards have less chance of abuse because a board member couldn't use it for their own personal use. You forget that all of this would also be audited by the districts auditor every year, so there is no way a board member can abuse it. Of course, you have your mind made up, so it's silly to try to explain things because you only read what you want to read.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:06 am 

chugar52 wrote:
LoisLane wrote:

First off, it wasn't THIS board that was involved in the missing computer switches. That happened in January, 2007 while the OLD board with Ken Taylor, Shatika Head, Leslie Durr and Vera Brooks were at the helm and Rosemary Hendricks was still the CEO. One of the other Board members, Terri Morrison, questioned about the missing switches and eventually Hendricks showed them to her. They were in her office. Perhaps that never made the paper, but that is because the reporter from the Times reports on what action is taken on the the agenda items and the sxwitches were not an agenda item. One more thing - ALL of the Board Members that were tied in with Rosemary Hendricks were NOT reelected and it is because of all the shenanigans that they tried to pull. Now that would be a board that abused things.

As far as the purchasing cards are concerned, how do you think that giving someone CASH instead of a card is safer. The card would have ALL of the purchases listed and the Board Members still have to turn in receipts. I guess you didn't read that in the article, but I did because I read the whole article. It's not like they can just spend the money on anything and not turn in receipts. The cards are much safer than carrying cash and they are tracked electronically to see what the money is spent for. The receipts still need to be turned in, but in the event that a receipt would be lost, it is still posted on the card. If someone has cash and loses a receipt, how is that tracked? It's not. The board member has to estimate what the charge was, where as with the purchasing card, the exact amount is listed electronically, even if the receipt would be lost. To me the cards have less chance of abuse because a board member couldn't use it for their own personal use. You forget that all of this would also be audited by the districts auditor every year, so there is no way a board member can abuse it. Of course, you have your mind made up, so it's silly to try to explain things because you only read what you want to read.
It's very simple...you turn in your receipts, you get reimbursed. No receipt, No money...Period. Move on...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:34 am 

No.. what is simple is the idea to use purchasing cards Lois. Technology has changed and using the electronics technology to provide funds for school board conferences is the right way to go. Board members do not get paid to serve on the board… why should anybody expect such members to use their own money or credit cards and then get reimbursed? Is that simple… yes it is .. but purchasing cards make much more sense. You cannot assume board members have the cash or credit to utilize their own funds that will be reimbursed. Your first response to using purchasing cards was the risk of “smack of abuse… but now that Churgar52 has pretty much proven that abuse is not a risk you have to change your tune just so you don’t have to agree with her and say something positive about this school board. Now what would be wrong and I would totally disagree with is if credit cards were issue to board members… abuse could be at risk and I’ve read articles where credit card abuse was an issue at other school districts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:09 am 

Final Word on this Subject: It is a stupid idea to give someone (anyone) a Pre-Paid Cash Card. Especially handing over TAXPAYER MONEY. Too Tempting...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:46 am 

LoisLane wrote:
Final Word on this Subject: It is a stupid idea to give someone (anyone) a Pre-Paid Cash Card. Especially handing over TAXPAYER MONEY. Too Tempting...

OK, then they will just get cash, which is still taxpayer money, as they have gotten in the past several years. Board members do not make a salary, so it would be unfair to make them use their household money when they are on school business. That is why they have gotten cash advances for expenses.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:27 am 

chugar52 wrote:
LoisLane wrote:

OK, then they will just get cash, which is still taxpayer money, as they have gotten in the past several years. Board members do not make a salary, so it would be unfair to make them use their household money when they are on school business. That is why they have gotten cash advances for expenses.
Nobody held a gun to their heads and forced them to run for the school board. I hate that excuse! Even more reason not to make taxpayer money too tempting to take..."I don't get paid, so why not take what's coming to me". I've read it all too many times in the newspaper.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:39 am 

LoisLane wrote:
chugar52 wrote:
LoisLane wrote:

Nobody held a gun to their heads and forced them to run for the school board. I hate that excuse! Even more reason not to make taxpayer money too tempting to take..."I don't get paid, so why not take what's coming to me". I've read it all too many times in the newspaper.

EXACTLY. That's why the cards are better than cash!!!!!!!! They can't use the cards for their own personal use. DUH!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:39 pm 

The difference is...The cash is still with the school board. It's easier to pay out...than it is to get back. Do you pay your gas and electric bills in advance? No, you wait until you are billed. Same damned thing. Makes perfect sense. Pay your bills when they are due, NOT before hand. These debit cards are a mistake.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:45 am 

Try to remember...
It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...It's NOT your money...got it now?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next