Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: S.D. 157 - Leave It Alone
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:18 pm 

I'm still waiting to hear just where that tax increase money is coming from. The District 157 regulars that post here have hibernated. Well, if they are reading this. . .
Happy Holidays.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:33 pm 

Moby,

Question,

What difference does it make to you? She's accomplished more in her life than you and oldtimer put together. If S.D.157 ever considers renaming a school after a racist jerk, I'll submit both of your names.

Question,

I wonder who would win?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:55 pm 

question wrote:
Moby,

Question,

What difference does it make to you? She's accomplished more in her life than you and oldtimer put together. If S.D.157 ever considers renaming a school after a racist jerk, I'll submit both of your names.

Question,

I wonder who would win?

How much money has Moby and oldtimer stolen from their mothers?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:56 am 
Banned

OK now that we know that Question is a racist....... Lets get back to where is 157 going to get all the money they proposed with all these large salary increases.......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:59 am 

LoisLane wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear just where that tax increase money is coming from. The District 157 regulars that post here have hibernated. Well, if they are reading this. . .
Happy Holidays.

Sorry I haven't checked this discussion board for awhile. School finance is very complicated. There is a tax cap on taxes for school systems, so what the board does is ask for a large percent amount so if there is new property that comes on the tax rolls the school district can get the maximum amount from the new property that is not protected from the tax cap because it has never been taxed before. That is what Ms Evens means by “asking for more to take advantage of any growth in property values” Home owners are protected by the tax cap at 3%. This tax cap went into effect at least 15 years ago. The politicians pretending they were good stewards of money implemented this tax cap but made municipalities exempt so the only taxing bodies that were affected by the tax cap were School Systems and Libraries. So because of the tax cap, School Systems have to pass the large levy every year to try to take advantage of any new property, it does not mean the District will actually get that amount of money. D157 as well as Illinois School Districts receive revenues from the State, the Fed’s and local property taxes. The State constitution says they must support the majority of the school funding which would be at least 51%, but they have not been doing that for years and as a matter of fact, the State funding has been going down for obvious reasons. So who has to foot the bill, property owners unfortunately. If you look at the history of D157, they have always been working in the “Black” when other local school districts have not. D157 has been receiving property tax revenue from the River Oaks shopping centers since the late 1960’s. New property that the school district really benefits from is new businesses since businesses are taxed at a rate of I believe 38% whereas home property is taxed at a rate in the high teens. The school fund balance is strong and projections are that it will remain strong in the future. All this is explained at the budget hearings which people typically don’t attend.
And as far as the new union contract, I have not seen the details of the contract, but do people really think the Teacher’s Union would walk away with an agreement without a raise? As I said, D157 is working in the black and have a strong fund balance in the Ed fund which pays for Teacher’s salary. I can assure you if the Board stood fast and not offer a pay raise, we would see a strike and then the board would be the bad guys for not settling a contract. I’ve seen reports on Districts getting increases and they are in the Red. It is necessary for the teacher’s salary to go up every year so the salaries remain competitive with other school systems. If they don’t remain competitive, then how would the local school district be able to recruit and retain highly qualified teachers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:45 am 

funnyman wrote:
LoisLane wrote:
Happy Holidays.

Sorry I haven't checked this discussion board for awhile. School finance is very complicated. There is a tax cap on taxes for school systems, so what the board does is ask for a large percent amount so if there is new property that comes on the tax rolls the school district can get the maximum amount from the new property that is not protected from the tax cap because it has never been taxed before. That is what Ms Evens means by “asking for more to take advantage of any growth in property values” Home owners are protected by the tax cap at 3%. This tax cap went into effect at least 15 years ago. The politicians pretending they were good stewards of money implemented this tax cap but made municipalities exempt so the only taxing bodies that were affected by the tax cap were School Systems and Libraries. So because of the tax cap, School Systems have to pass the large levy every year to try to take advantage of any new property, it does not mean the District will actually get that amount of money. D157 as well as Illinois School Districts receive revenues from the State, the Fed’s and local property taxes. The State constitution says they must support the majority of the school funding which would be at least 51%, but they have not been doing that for years and as a matter of fact, the State funding has been going down for obvious reasons. So who has to foot the bill, property owners unfortunately. If you look at the history of D157, they have always been working in the “Black” when other local school districts have not. D157 has been receiving property tax revenue from the River Oaks shopping centers since the late 1960’s. New property that the school district really benefits from is new businesses since businesses are taxed at a rate of I believe 38% whereas home property is taxed at a rate in the high teens. The school fund balance is strong and projections are that it will remain strong in the future. All this is explained at the budget hearings which people typically don’t attend.
And as far as the new union contract, I have not seen the details of the contract, but do people really think the Teacher’s Union would walk away with an agreement without a raise? As I said, D157 is working in the black and have a strong fund balance in the Ed fund which pays for Teacher’s salary. I can assure you if the Board stood fast and not offer a pay raise, we would see a strike and then the board would be the bad guys for not settling a contract. I’ve seen reports on Districts getting increases and they are in the Red. It is necessary for the teacher’s salary to go up every year so the salaries remain competitive with other school systems. If they don’t remain competitive, then how would the local school district be able to recruit and retain highly qualified teachers.

I guess you don't watch the news, or read newspapers. Sales (and sales taxes) will be way down this Christmas. Homes are being foreclosed left and right. People are losing their jobs. Yet you refuse to take off those rose colored glasses. You sound like a "stooge" for the teachers union and the school board.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:55 pm 
Banned

Sounds like an ex-administrator.......

Avg $6000 raise over the contract length Still Way Too Much.....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:24 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
Sounds like an ex-administrator.......

Avg $6000 raise over the contract length Still Way Too Much.....

Now anyone with negotiating experience would not negotiate a contract for more than one year, with this economy. Secondly, why start at 4%? Why not start at 2% and negotiate. Additionally, I see no evidence that these teachers are the cream of the crop. Mind you, a teachers job is very difficult, given the fact that there is no cooperation with the parents, and I probably couldn't/wouldn't do it. I visit region schools regularly, and I would say the school systems in Illinois and Indiana need a swift kick in the butt, from the Superintendents down to the custodians.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:04 pm 

I know about the economy, I don’t have rose colored glasses on. My 401K has taken a hit in the 6 figure amount. My son has lost his job as of Christmas so don’t give me your cynical remarks. You asked for some information from someone who knows what is going in D157 and I provided it. What does sales have to do with school income? School income does not come from sales taxes. I’m sure the School Board would have like to not give raised at all, but the teachers will strike and all hell will break loose with parents breathing down the School Board’s neck because the kids are out of school. So you have negotiation experience, I do. I would love for you to try to negotiate a 1 year contract, especially if it has taken over 4 months to negotiation what they just tentatively agreed upon. You asked why the board didn’t start are 2%. How do you know they didn’t? Do you know where the teacher’s started? Maybe they started at 10% and the board negotiated that down to 4%. To some people the board would be praised for that. So, if 4% is to high, what do you think they should have settled at 2%. That’s below the cost of living, no union would agree to that when the revenues and budget is positive. They don’t care about the economy; they look at the District and how strong the education fund is and the future projections. So you think the teaches at D157 are not the cream of the crop. Tell me, what data do you have to support that comment? From what I have read, D157 have made AYP, if you know what that means. Have you looked at the school report card? OK, so the kids do not have shinning grades, but you cannot judge a District or their staff strictly on grades, you need to take into consideration the ability levels too which the school report card does not do. You seem to have an appreciation for the Teachers and the job that have at hand, but don’t disrespect the teachers at D157 saying they are not the cream of the crop unless you have the facts to prove it. I’m sure there are some really good teaches at D157 and not so good teachers. Teachers tenure makes it difficult to have all stellar teachers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:16 pm 

funnyman wrote:
I know about the economy, I don’t have rose colored glasses on. My 401K has taken a hit in the 6 figure amount. My son has lost his job as of Christmas so don’t give me your cynical remarks. You asked for some information from someone who knows what is going in D157 and I provided it. What does sales have to do with school income? School income does not come from sales taxes. I’m sure the School Board would have like to not give raised at all, but the teachers will strike and all hell will break loose with parents breathing down the School Board’s neck because the kids are out of school. So you have negotiation experience, I do. I would love for you to try to negotiate a 1 year contract, especially if it has taken over 4 months to negotiation what they just tentatively agreed upon. You asked why the board didn’t start are 2%. How do you know they didn’t? Do you know where the teacher’s started? Maybe they started at 10% and the board negotiated that down to 4%. To some people the board would be praised for that. So, if 4% is to high, what do you think they should have settled at 2%. That’s below the cost of living, no union would agree to that when the revenues and budget is positive. They don’t care about the economy; they look at the District and how strong the education fund is and the future projections. So you think the teaches at D157 are not the cream of the crop. Tell me, what data do you have to support that comment? From what I have read, D157 have made AYP, if you know what that means. Have you looked at the school report card? OK, so the kids do not have shinning grades, but you cannot judge a District or their staff strictly on grades, you need to take into consideration the ability levels too which the school report card does not do. You seem to have an appreciation for the Teachers and the job that have at hand, but don’t disrespect the teachers at D157 saying they are not the cream of the crop unless you have the facts to prove it. I’m sure there are some really good teaches at D157 and not so good teachers. Teachers tenure makes it difficult to have all stellar teachers.

I think I know the problem. I've seen the school report card. It's NOT pretty, and not worthy of a 3 year, 4% per year deal either.
(And sales, sales tax has plenty to do with the School Districts. What happens if River Oaks becomes another Dixie Square?)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:31 pm 

LoisLane wrote:
funnyman wrote:

I think I know the problem. I've seen the school report card. It's NOT pretty, and not worthy of a 3 year, 4% per year deal either.
(And sales, sales tax has plenty to do with the School Districts. What happens if River Oaks becomes another Dixie Square?)

Sales tax has nothing to do with the current revenue in D157, the school does not receive sales tax revenues. Now, if the businesses do struggle and stores start to close can River Oaks become another Dixie Square, sure, but I've heard that argument for years. If it does close and the school district looses the property tax income from the shopping center, then the homeowners will have to pay a higher tax to the district if a referendum is presented and passed. If it does not pass, then D157 will start to work in the Red, cuts will be made and D157 will be just like most of the School Districts in the State, working under a budget deficit because the State of Illinois is not doing there share.
So you purely judge our teachers performance base on how D157 scores compared to the State average. Yes, in comparison the numbers do not look good but they are improving year over year. Like I said before, the fair evaluation is to look at abilities of the kids, parental involvement and mobility to name a few. I think a 3 year contract if fair and what is typical for this District and others. 4%, well, it’s what they have received in the past and pretty typical in the area even in Districts working in the Red. They should at least get cost of living plus. As I said, the salaries need to be competitive with other Districts to retain and recruit teachers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:24 am 
Banned

I still say $6000 raise over the contract life is TOO MUCH....Especially with paying a playground monitor (AKA Dean) over 60K a year...... at Schrum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:20 pm 
Banned

Goodby taylor glad to see you go.....you cost the taxpayers a ton of money with your bad decisions

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:53 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
Goodby taylor glad to see you go.....you cost the taxpayers a ton of money with your bad decisions

Problem is, he didn't say if he was running for S.D. 215. That would be a real joke.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:14 pm 

LoisLane wrote:
oldtimer wrote:

Problem is, he didn't say if he was running for S.D. 215. That would be a real joke.

I would not trust anything Ken Taylor says. It would not surprised me if he runs if he can form a slate. I heard that he was collecting signatures for the 215 board during the election in Nov.

He says he is tired, LOL. Well we are tired too, tired of you KT. As LoisLane stated, you cost the school district tons of money, I just wondered how much wound up in his pockets??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next