Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: S.D. 157 - Leave It Alone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:40 pm 

OK, am I missing something that was reported in the newspaper? Why is D157 not going get any revenue benefit from Sam’s club for 10 years? I don’t recall reading anything that indicated that this was a TIFF and if it was, I would think we would have read in the newspaper that D157 opposes a TIFF agreement as they have done in the past? And how is it that D157 is not going to benefit from Day Care centers, nail salons, and tatoo parlors. These businesses are in a store fronts that are required to pay property taxes and D157 receives revenues from property taxes, is it a lot of money, perhaps not, but probably more than what you may be paying. Do you know business pay a much higher property tax percentage than home owners? I want to say businesses are taxed at about 35%. So when it comes to D157, the local businesses pay a very large share of the total revenue for D157. Even if a business goes out of business, the building owner still has to pay the property tax. The only recourse the owner of the building has is to file a PTAB (Property Tax Appeal Board) to challenge the County assessor on how much his property is worth. School districts receive revenues from local property taxes, state and federal funds and grants is they are lucky. So please explain to me what concrete information you have to support your statement? Lois Lane, I’m not trying to start a battle with you and I’m happy that you support D157 and the current board, but I’m not sure you are reporting all the facts correctly. Will the economy effect D157’s revenues, maybe, maybe not? Even a foreclosed house has an owner and property taxes are still owed. But I do know D157 is not affected by low sales the poor economy is experiencing since revenues to D157 do not come from sales tax. What I do know is that if D157 has lost revenue recently, it’s from cutbacks from the State. This information is clearly stated when the D157 budget hearing is presented.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:04 am 

Ok, I'm not here to teach Economics 101. Do your homework.

Think about this: If Calumet City didn't offer Sam's Club inclusion in the TIFF district, don't you think Sam's Club would have stayed in Lansing?
funnyman wrote:
Even a foreclosed house has an owner and property taxes are still owed. But I do know D157 is not affected by low sales the poor economy is experiencing since revenues to D157 do not come from sales tax. What I do know is that if D157 has lost revenue recently, it’s from cutbacks from the State. This information is clearly stated when the D157 budget hearing is presented.

And when the county de-evaluates the properties (-12% right now) do you think the tax base remains the same? I think you need a new pair of rose colored glasses!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:11 pm 

LoisLane wrote:

Think about this: If Calumet City didn't offer Sam's Club inclusion in the TIFF district, don't you think Sam's Club would have stayed in Lansing?
funnyman wrote:
Even a foreclosed house has an owner and property taxes are still owed. But I do know D157 is not affected by low sales the poor economy is experiencing since revenues to D157 do not come from sales tax. What I do know is that if D157 has lost revenue recently, it’s from cutbacks from the State. This information is clearly stated when the D157 budget hearing is presented.

And when the county de-evaluates the properties (-12% right now) do you think the tax base remains the same? I think you need a new pair of rose colored glasses!

I'm not asking you to teach economics, but how about providing proof and not just state speculation. Cal City in the past has attempted offering TIFFs for the River Oaks West area and this was always well publicized. You do not have any proof that Sam's club was enticed to come to CC by a TIFF. I was concerned about if this was a TIFF so I spoke to a board member about this issue and was told they were told by the City that this was not a TIFF. You might wonder if the City offical was speaking truthful, but all I know it that is what the Board was told. What has been reported in the paper is that Sam's Club has significantly increased the square footage on their store so perhaps they did not have that opertunity at their old site in Lansing. I've been to the new store a few time, had many customers so it looks like Sam's Club made a good decision to relocate. You made a statement "Do you think people that have their homes foreclosed on are going to continue paying property taxes," I was just correcting you in saying that property taxes will still be collected on those properties because someone still owns them, but now you're saying it will be reduced and you're probably right since property values are droping. So in a way, you're admitting I was right and I agree with you. Have you ever been to the D157 budget hearing, I have. I've heard that D157 is very stable unlike some neighboring districts. I do agree with you that the District must watch unnecessary spending and have always done so for the most point. Spending a few hundred dollars per board member can be considered unnecesary but not alarming. If you think the board spending the night in downtown was unnecessary, then you have every right to complain.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:41 am 

funnyman wrote:
LoisLane wrote:

funnyman wrote:

I'm not asking you to teach economics, but how about providing proof and not just state speculation. Cal City in the past has attempted offering TIFFs for the River Oaks West area and this was always well publicized. You do not have any proof that Sam's club was enticed to come to CC by a TIFF. I was concerned about if this was a TIFF so I spoke to a board member about this issue and was told they were told by the City that this was not a TIFF. You might wonder if the City offical was speaking truthful, but all I know it that is what the Board was told. What has been reported in the paper is that Sam's Club has significantly increased the square footage on their store so perhaps they did not have that opertunity at their old site in Lansing. I've been to the new store a few time, had many customers so it looks like Sam's Club made a good decision to relocate. You made a statement "Do you think people that have their homes foreclosed on are going to continue paying property taxes," I was just correcting you in saying that property taxes will still be collected on those properties because someone still owns them, but now you're saying it will be reduced and you're probably right since property values are droping. So in a way, you're admitting I was right and I agree with you. Have you ever been to the D157 budget hearing, I have. I've heard that D157 is very stable unlike some neighboring districts. I do agree with you that the District must watch unnecessary spending and have always done so for the most point. Spending a few hundred dollars per board member can be considered unnecesary but not alarming. If you think the board spending the night in downtown was unnecessary, then you have every right to complain.

And you sir, may have the LAST WORD.

Happy Thanksgiving!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:51 am 

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!! My hope is that everyone is with family and friends. Be thankful for them and for each day that we are on this earth and also remember those that are not with us anymore. Please pray for our service men and women who can not be with their familites this Thanksgiving.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:20 am 

Do you think, maybe, we could solve some crimes, if the cops weren't moonlighting? If they aren't all "hunkered down" in the police station, they are working as security cops at River Oaks, bouncers in the bars, and now residency cops. When do they have time to catch carjackers, muggers at River Oaks, or even speeders? With all those cop cars parked at the library, it is no wonder the bad guys have free rein.
The Times wrote:
D.157 looks into residency officer options

BY JOAN CARREON
Times Correspondent | Sunday, November 30, 2008
CALUMET CITY | Hoover-Schrum Elementary District 157 is continuing to explore its options as it looks into the possibility of having a residency officer help verify where students reside.

Superintendent Michele Morris has shared with the D.157 School Board one proposal the district received from a Calumet City police officer who has a private investigator business.

http://www.nwi.com/articles/2008/11/30/ ... 010336.txt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:47 pm 
Banned

Hold on Lois......If you are or when you were working..what you did on your own time was your business...The jobs you are describing are off the clock jobs and the individuals own business...

How the police dept.functions is the responsibility of the Chief of Police and the mayor If they are not doing the job to your liking lay it on THEM.......

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:47 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
Hold on Lois......If you are or when you were working..what you did on your own time was your business...The jobs you are describing are off the clock jobs and the individuals own business...

How the police dept.functions is the responsibility of the Chief of Police and the mayor If they are not doing the job to your liking lay it on THEM.......

Oh really? And how many of those cops chose to move out of Calumet City, just to hold onto their jobs and pensions, and work part time in Calumet City? Cake and eating it too? Any cop that moved out of Calumet City gets NO sympathy from me. Especially when I see more cop cars parked at the library than on the street patrolling. Besides, it took the efforts of over 40 renowned and respected citizens in Calumet City to find Chief Gilmore. Do you think he's doing a good job? I don't!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:26 am 
Banned

[
Oh really? And how many of those cops chose to move out of Calumet City, just to hold onto their jobs and pensions, and work part time in Calumet City? Cake and eating it too? Any cop that moved out of Calumet City gets NO sympathy from me. Especially when I see more cop cars parked at the library than on the street patrolling. Besides, it took the efforts of over 40 renowned and respected citizens in Calumet City to find Chief Gilmore. Do you think he's doing a good job? I don't![/quote]

I agree with you.......they should live in town....I also believe that the teachers and school administrators should also live in the community they earn their money in..... Could the vehicles parked at the library be old cars waiting for disposition..

Oh I did forget .....How about politicians and city dept heads.......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:43 pm 

oldtimer wrote:
[
Oh really? And how many of those cops chose to move out of Calumet City, just to hold onto their jobs and pensions, and work part time in Calumet City? Cake and eating it too? Any cop that moved out of Calumet City gets NO sympathy from me. Especially when I see more cop cars parked at the library than on the street patrolling. Besides, it took the efforts of over 40 renowned and respected citizens in Calumet City to find Chief Gilmore. Do you think he's doing a good job? I don't!

I agree with you.......they should live in town....I also believe that the teachers and school administrators should also live in the community they earn their money in..... Could the vehicles parked at the library be old cars waiting for disposition..

Oh I did forget .....How about politicians and city dept heads.......[/quote]

I can understand the idea about police and firefighters living in the community they serve, police say they are on call 24 hours a day and living in the community will allow them to respond faster, but school teachers and administrators? You have got to be kidding. They are not on call 24 hours a day. Do you think that when our school administrators are interviewing a prospected teacher the teacher would take a job if you tell them they have to move into the community? Who’s going to pay for that? There is no way someone would even consider taking the job unless there was an offer to cover the moving expenses. Teachers are in a union, requiring teachers to live in the community they work in would have to be negotiated into the union contract, which would never happen. If for some reason that was part of the school's policy and approved by the union, what kind of quality teachers do you think you would get since you would be limiting the selection to those prospects who are willing to relocate. Out taxes pay for the salary of the waist management employee who picks up my garbage, should he live in Cal City?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:25 am 

This is rich. . .taking advantage of growth in property values. Who are they kidding.
Quote:
D.157 approves $8.2 million levy request

BY JOAN CARREON
Times Correspondent | Monday, December 15, 2008
Hoover-Schrum Elementary District 157's property tax request this year will be for $8.2 million, about 5.2 percent more than last year's tax take.

The School Board approved the 2008 tax levy after last week's hearing on the matter. No residents attended the hearing.

Business Manager Alicia Evans said the final levy amount is unchanged from the tentative proposal given to the board in November

Evans said she does not expect the district will receive the full amount of its tax levy request. The district is projecting it may actually receive about $7 million, but is asking for more to take advantage of any growth in property values, Evans said. The district also must levy enough to cover an increased need in the education, building and operating funds and to cover potential adverse decisions by the Property Tax Appeals Board, she said.

Last year, property taxes accounted for 68 percent of the district's revenue, Evans said.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:56 am 

oldtimer wrote:
When obama gets something done....more than voting present in the Ill. sen.. and running for president....they can name something after him....

Tell me what Carol Mostly Brown did to deserve a school named after her?

Besides dining with dictators...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:42 pm 
Banned

I would love to answer that Moby Grape.....But I don't want to be labeled a racist again...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:01 am 

LoisLane wrote:
I am totally amazed that some of the usual pundits haven't come out to defend the tax increase.
Quote:
D.157 approves $8.2 million levy request

BY JOAN CARREON
Times Correspondent | Monday, December 15, 2008
Hoover-Schrum Elementary District 157's property tax request this year will be for $8.2 million, about 5.2 percent more than last year's tax take.

The School Board approved the 2008 tax levy after last week's hearing on the matter. No residents attended the hearing.

Business Manager Alicia Evans said the final levy amount is unchanged from the tentative proposal given to the board in November

Evans said she does not expect the district will receive the full amount of its tax levy request. The district is projecting it may actually receive about $7 million, but is asking for more to take advantage of any growth in property values, Evans said. The district also must levy enough to cover an increased need in the education, building and operating funds and to cover potential adverse decisions by the Property Tax Appeals Board, she said.

Last year, property taxes accounted for 68 percent of the district's revenue, Evans said.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:57 am 
Banned

Great negotiating school board.......Avg raise over 3 years $6000..... great with the economy the way it is and taxpayers loosing their homes......The union did it to you again.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next