Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Back In The Stone Age
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:09 am 

Yes, I am back in the stone age. My new computer crapped. For the past 3 weeks I have had to use the old pos that I never got around to tossing in the trash.This is why my posts have been infrequent, as this old thing only works sometimes. :x

I have had problems with my HP Elite from the beginning. The one I originally had picked out at Best Buy was no good, and they replaced it with another one. The replacement had a media that never quite worked right. 2 weeks after the original warranty expired, the computer croaked. I DID get the extended warranty, otherwise I would have been screwed, blued, and tatooed. Well, Best Buy insisted that I picked up a virus, even though I had paid the extra to get the best virus package available. The Geek Squads scans show NO VIRUS. I guess I just got a lemon, again. Hopefully, I will get the "new" computer back the end of this week. I am so ticked, as I paid more for this computer set-up than I have for most of the cars I have owned in my lifetime. :x
I have a real gripe with Best Buy. They wanted to know if I want anything saved from my computer. I really wanted my address book. They told me it was $99 to save it !!! I told them to forget it. It is not my fault that the computer croaked. The computer has multiple problems. Even the on/off button quit working. I had to plug/unplug it, and then it would not get off the intro with the colored lines running across the bottom.

So, here I am, on a 12 year old computer with windows 98 that I bought at the Salvation Army resale shop several years ago, with a bad sound card, bad pathways, no sound at all, and constantly freezing up. The front panel fell off it years ago.

Well, it is better than nothing, but this is why I have not been posting much. :(

Post subject: Re: Back In The Stone Age
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:28 am 

I would just go around Best Buy and contact HP. Get someone in customer service and ask to speak to their boss. Tell them how disappointed you are and how much trouble you are having with Best Buy. It worked for me several years ago when I had pretty much the same problem with a new emachine. They sent me a brand new one and paid to ship the old one back to them. Go get 'em, Tiger!!

:smt006

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:37 am 

Tiger1 wrote:
Yes, I am back in the stone age. My new computer crapped. For the past 3 weeks I have had to use the old pos that I never got around to tossing in the trash.This is why my posts have been infrequent, as this old thing only works sometimes. :x

I have had problems with my HP Elite from the beginning. The one I originally had picked out at Best Buy was no good, and they replaced it with another one. The replacement had a media that never quite worked right. 2 weeks after the original warranty expired, the computer croaked. I DID get the extended warranty, otherwise I would have been screwed, blued, and tatooed. Well, Best Buy insisted that I picked up a virus, even though I had paid the extra to get the best virus package available. The Geek Squads scans show NO VIRUS. I guess I just got a lemon, again. Hopefully, I will get the "new" computer back the end of this week. I am so ticked, as I paid more for this computer set-up than I have for most of the cars I have owned in my lifetime. :x
I have a real gripe with Best Buy. They wanted to know if I want anything saved from my computer. I really wanted my address book. They told me it was $99 to save it !!! I told them to forget it. It is not my fault that the computer croaked. The computer has multiple problems. Even the on/off button quit working. I had to plug/unplug it, and then it would not get off the intro with the colored lines running across the bottom.

So, here I am, on a 12 year old computer with windows 98 that I bought at the Salvation Army resale shop several years ago, with a bad sound card, bad pathways, no sound at all, and constantly freezing up. The front panel fell off it years ago.

Well, it is better than nothing, but this is why I have not been posting much. :(

This is exactly why I bought my computer from a small dealer, Miller Computer in Highland.
He came out to my house, asked me what I needed to do on the computer, and asked me what I had to spend. He then brought it all out to me and set it up.
I have no commission deal with the guy, but it was great to be able to call up a real person when I had some trouble. He came to my house and fixed it right here. I've also had to call him a couple of other times, and it's so nice not to have to deal with a Best Buy idiot every time.
I will be buying my next computer from him too, when and if I ever scrape up some money.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:32 pm 

freetime wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:

This is exactly why I bought my computer from a small dealer, Miller Computer in Highland.
He came out to my house, asked me what I needed to do on the computer, and asked me what I had to spend. He then brought it all out to me and set it up.
I have no commission deal with the guy, but it was great to be able to call up a real person when I had some trouble. He came to my house and fixed it right here. I've also had to call him a couple of other times, and it's so nice not to have to deal with a Best Buy idiot every time.
I will be buying my next computer from him too, when and if I ever scrape up some money.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:55 pm 

That's right. Nobody gives a flock what you think about this.
The post was clearly intended for Tiger, not you.

So buzz off.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:26 pm 

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:00 pm 

Best Buy had told me no earlier than thursday, and here they gave me a call this afternoon, saying it is ready. :shock: They found no viruses, and have no idea why it crapped. They said it was a fluke!!! :x :x :x They said they went back to a point, and restored. IF I have one more bit of trouble with this blasted thing, I will call HP.
After 3 weeks of using the $99 dollar Salvation Army resale shop 12 year old crappy desperation computer, I am in no mood. :x :x :x

Thank you all for the suggestions, and the humor thrown in for good measure! :twisted:

As for the 12 year old crappy computer, I am hanging on to it, just in case. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:17 am 

:x :x :x :x :x :x :x :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

!@#$%^&*!@#$%^&*!@#$%^&*

Well, it just got worse. It appeared to be working fairly well when I posted last night, but now it is very dead. The sound was barely audible yesterday evening, even though I cranked it to the max. I just figured it was something that needed to be tweaked, and I was going to call Best Buy about it this morning.
This morning, the computer is deader than a doornail. The same thing happened as before, with a new twist besides the sound problem. I went into self-repair mode, and after about 20 minutes, it said it could not be self-repaired and promptly shut itself off !!! :shock: This was on the 4th try to get it started, after it refused to shut itself off again, and I had to shut it off at the power strip.

So, here I am again on this 12 year old pos. I am going to call Best Buy, and give them 1 more chance to fix the HP Elite, and then I am calling the company. If you hear the sound of breaking glass in Central Hammond, followed by 2 computers, one old, one new, sailing through a second floor window, you will know why. :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:16 am 

I took the computer back to Best Buy monday afternoon. They said it is a software problem, and it is going to cost me $130 to fix it. The guy grilled me about programs that have been added, and frankly, I didn't know what the heck he was talking about, as I had never heard of any of them. Fortunately, my daughter, who was with me, did. She told him that nothing has ever been added by us. Well, the guy didn't believe us, and checked for himself. No add ons, no viruses. He said that Norton hadn't been completely removed before the Trend Micro was added, and that was the problem. Well THEY are the ones who installed the Trend Micro, and didn't erase the Norton !!! :x I told him flat out, that if that was the problem, it was THEIR problem, as they are the ones who screwed up, and I am not paying for their mess-up !!! I told them, that if they cannot fix it this time, I want a new computer. We will see what happens.
BTW, when I was there, a customer with a HP laptop still under warranty walked out, after they told him it would be $130 to fix it, and another $99 to save his stuff. That guy was really ticked, too. I also ran into a Teacher from the SCH who just got her laptop, which was still under warranty, replaced for the THIRD TIME. She said that HP has really turned out a crappy product in the last couple of years, and she will never buy another one. Misery likes company. :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:16 pm 

I got the computer back. It seemed to be at least partially fixed, but it would not accept a disc to download some Christmas video I had stored on it. Well, this morning it crapped again. Best Buy will ship it back to HP, when I bring it back in to them. :( :( :(

GEEZ, here I am still stuck on this 12 year old half dead pos that freezes every few minutes. :x :x :x

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:01 pm 

Well, I took it back, and supposedly they found nothing wrong with it. It has not worked right since, and now it has totally crashed again. So, I am on old clunky again. This time, I am demanding a new computer when I go back to Best Buy. :x :x :x

Talking with other people, they have had nothing but problems with their HP's. Several people suggested I get a Mac, instead. Opinions, please? I had an old Mac many years ago, when my kids were very young. I didn't have it hooked up online, but I had it loaded up with the same computer learning programs they used in school. I never had a problem with it, and ended up giving it away 5 years ago. As old as it was, the computer and all the educational programs were working perfectly, and my kids used it practically every day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:36 am 

I took it back in again last friday, as it had been down for a week, but I was too sick to take it in until then. I got it back monday, and they swear they can find nothing wrong with it, even though when we brought it in, the quick scan showed several problems.
This time, they scraped off the stack of pink stickers(repair), that had layered the top of the thing. I got the number for HP, and when this thing goes down again, I will call them direct. :x

My next computer will be a Mac. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:50 pm 

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:53 am 

My HP kept on crashing,freezing, or wouldn't start up at all. They couldn't fix it, and blamed it on viruses the 3rd to the last time I took it in, of which I had none,BTW, as their scans proved. After 2 years of the darn thing never working right, and unable to be fixed, I finally got it replaced with a new HP with Windows 7 last week. There was a differant tech at Best Buy that I had never seen before, in the dozens of times I have taken the 2 year old crappy HP in. He looked at my 1 1/2 inch stack of repair orders, told me this was totally unacceptable, and immediately replaced the computer with a new one.
I am learning to use this thing, slowly. As for HP themselves, I contacted them, and they told me that since I bought the extended service from Best Buy, and not from them, the manufactorer, I was out of luck, even though my computer has never worked right. It has been in the shop more than it has worked.
One Tech at Best Buy got it running temporarily, the 3rd to the last time it went in. He told me to take it home, turn it on, and back-up and save what info I could, because this was going to be a one-shot deal. I immediately bought an external hard drive before I left the store, and saved some of my info when I got home, but not all. It never turned on again after that. To top it off, my old clunky back-up computer, the 14 year old computer with Windows98, which held the rest of my info, decided to croak. My info on that old pos is irretrievable.
I had my techie daughter hook this new one up, but I still had dial-up, and even with the dial-up adapter we had to buy for this new computer(it had no connector for dial-up), it didn't want to work right. So now I had no choice but to upgrade, so I got AT&T broadband 3.0 and WIFI. The price was decent, $24.95 a month for both. FYI, my dial-up was extremely cheap at $8.25 a month.
I also now have a laptop for a back-up computer, which my daughter will teach me how to use after I get more educated on this new desktop. :D