Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Valparaiso Black population
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 9:27 pm 

I don't understand Cotton's assertion that the black population is in a state of arrested development. It grew at 25 times the rate of the whole population, right? Guess I'm just too old - I remember when we counted by numbers instead of percent! Comments, anyone?

"Porter County's black population grew 260 percent between 2000 and 2008, according to U.S. Census Bureau data to be released today. In the year from 2007 to 2008, the population increased 9.4 percent.

Over the eight-year period, the county's total population increased 10.5 percent.

MORE: Search the latest Census database.

Valparaiso Mayor Jon Costas said the increase reflected demographic changes happening elsewhere.

"I'm not surprised at all because that's a trend across the country," Costas said. "America is becoming more diverse in a fairly dramatic fashion."

A changing, more diverse population would make his city a better one, Costas said.

"Our hope is to make Valparaiso a welcoming city to all who want to call it home," he said.

Derek Perkins, community pastor at Valparaiso's First United Methodist Church, said the new figures reflected a trend of black migration from larger urban areas to smaller cities and rural areas.

"That's happening nationwide," said Perkins, who himself moved to Porter County from Pasadena, Calif., a year ago. He challenged the assumption most of the increase was due to migration from Lake County.

Valparaiso financial services professional Robert Cotton, a member of Valparaiso's first black family who moved to the city from Chicago in 1969, said that while the new figures are important, the overall black population increase over the past 40 years has been in a state of arrested development.

The recent increase is large, but blacks still represent only about three percent of the county's population, he said.

Cotton credited Valparaiso for proactive efforts, but said blacks still need to be embraced so more mainstream blacks want to move to the area.

From 2000 to 2008, Porter County's population grew from 144,798 to 162,181 and the black segment grew from 1,410 to 5,064, the Census figures show."

Post subject: Re: Valparaiso Black population
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:18 pm 

how( of the increase) many were mainstream and what is the definition of the term?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:03 am 

I would assume mainstream meant not on welfare - employed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:49 am 

I guess I'm not understanding why there needs to be black people in abundance in every area to make it a good area. I think that is taking political correctness way too far.

So what if there are some communities that are predominately white? There are areas for every ethnicity; Chinatown, Little Russia, The Hood...

The Caucasion people founded this country. Are we not entitled to our own little piece, like everyone else?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:05 pm 

Evidently not according to everyone.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:05 pm 

As a person who has been subjected to a violent racist crime where nothing was done to help me beyond lip service, I can equivocally state that ....

If Valpo is trying to attract black residents.....

that's the worst news I've ever heard.....

The most crime ridden and violent places in our country are cities that are overwhelmingly black...

doesn't take a genius to correlate it.....

Discuss amongst yourselves. I have the right to discriminate between people that I share a common heritage with and those who I don't. Call it racist, I call it a proven safe strategy. I don't mind if they do it, either, I prefer it.

Your safety depends upon your ability to understand the people you surround yourself with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:04 pm 

I don't care what color my neighbor's skin is. I care if they keep their property up, that they are somewhat quiet neighbors, and hope they are friendly.