Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Valparaiso smoking ban
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:20 am 

Valparaiso has now banned smoking in restaurants as harmful to the general health. Now, they need to ban trans fats, which are even more dangerous, short term, to the general health than cigarettes. If we can force a person who owns his own business to do as we want about cigarettes, then we can also make him prepare us healthy food. Many foods have these horrible fats in them and that needs to be changed or eliminated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:36 pm 

I really think this is ludicrous. There is no reason that business owners should be forced to do this. It's their business. If patrons don't like it, they can exercise their free will and choose another restaurant.

The fact that this had to be decided through legislation and not market forcing shows just how few people really cared. If this really was an issue to nonsmokers, the loss of business revenue would have forced the owners to adjust accordingly.

A shame really. There are far more deadly things to focus on than second hand smoke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:02 pm 

My point, exactly. Forcing a person who skimped and saved and slaved to buy his own business to do as the politicians prefer? So, why not take over more of the restaurant business and demand that they take out the trans fats? That is a great deal of what they serve. If you are going to take over a man's business in one health area....why stop there? If that is REALLY the goal....good health....then, they quit too soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:05 pm 

I think they should close all the buffets also. I mean people tend to over eat in these things and I for one am sick of seeing people sit there and stuff their faces. (sarcasm)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:20 pm 

I will be the one clinging to the fried chicken at the buffet...crying. lol!! There really isn't anything more disgusting that cigarette smoke near food, or screaming kids. Dining out should be a good experience, but I sure feel sorry for the business people who have been told what to do with their own businesses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:49 pm 

If they would only pass the anti-smoking ordinance in Portage....

:lol:

Smokers' rights end where every else's air begins.

Nothing like smoke to ruin a good meal. Then you come home and your clothes smell like smoke....yuck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:09 pm 

Non-smokers are over opinionated for the most part. They will snarl theirs lips, pretend to cough, give the evil eye, the look of pity...yank their children away as if a smoker isn't a real person to begin with...so. A smoker isn't aware of this 'terrible' smell. I believe that smells evoke a reaction because I know I've smelt plenty of things and well, smoke isn't in the top five. Smoking by far is still a choice in American culture. Issues are for everybody...take a side and stay there. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:41 am 

No one said smokers aren't real people....they're real people with an addiction. They don't see that it's wrong to force their addiction on other people--which will eventually cause cancer (bladder, lung, esophagal, to name a few), emphysema, impotence (yeah, folks, it will eventually affect old Bob's ability to rise to the occasion!), asthma (in other family members also)....yes, the list goes on.

Secondhand smoke DOES have health effects on children and adults.

Non-smokers don't have the ability to fight the toxins and poisons that are in the smoke....smokers' bodies get used to it and can deal with it.

If you smoke, your lifespan, barring any accidents or other illnesses, will be 7-10 years less than if you don't smoke.

Denial is not a river in Egypt!!
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:49 am 

DeweyDell wrote:
A smoker isn't aware of this 'terrible' smell. :shock:

Exactly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:28 pm 
Banned

Exactly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:05 am 

So why not let the voters decide these laws then?

If its that important, then let the voters decide, that way no one can complain about the ban or lack of a ban, because EVERYONE who is eligible to vote has a say.