Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Office Depot in Valpo closing
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:14 pm 

http://www.wcpo.com/content/financialsurvival/yourlocalstories/story/Eastgate-Office-Depot-Among-112-Locations-Closing/B6o7xYDEOkOyigUJL3jn7A.cspx

Office Depot closing in Valpo.

Did I miss this in the Times?

Not a good sign for Porter Vale.

And today the Times said they do good investigative reporting...........

Post subject: Re: Office Depot in Valpo closing
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:34 am 

I didn't know they ever opened!

KarenT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:04 pm 

This makes me laugh

And to think, the developer stated every available space would be occupied shortly after it opened. Still waiting on tenant #3 (or would it be #2 now?)

And to think, they still have to find occupancy for Lincolnway and the new Urschel development as well(but they had tenants that were waiting to finish as well)

Looks like Valpo over expanded big time

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:00 pm 

True, true, true. At least we got rid of the "blighted" areas. These new empty ones are so much better, don't you think?
Teehee!
KarenT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:35 am 

When I was in the UPS store yesterday, the guy working said he is hopeful that the new mall takes off as soon as the YMCA is done, but he is doubtful because of the economy.

I think the city should have waited or told the developer that they can't proceed unless they have proof that all space is taken, because Porter Vale is empty, except for the movie theater and that is not going to rent out the open space.

Lets not forget that the developer paid big bucks just to put in another bank where a good restaurant used to be at on Linolnway, and the owner of the trash dump behind it, refused to sell.

Valpo needs to put a moratorium in place to stop developments if they are not going to be fully occupied when completed. The main problem is that Valpo and the entire area, already had plenty of strip mall style stores, and right now, those businesses are not doing so well

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:05 am 

I am afraid even a "vacant" brand new strip mall looks blighted, kind of a ghost town appearance. Where did the people go?

How many small business will go bankrupt when the big attraction anchor stores leave?

Will the windows be boarded up, or just be waiting for someone to come by with rock or a pellet gun?

Will the homeless soon move in it for shelter?

If enough stores close the mall owner will go Chapter 11 and force the other stores to leave?

Would you like a FOR SALE / FORECLOSED sign on your neighbors house?

Did Valpo need a second office store? Did loss of business hurt Staples and it to could leave?

Does Valpo need a second hospital on 49? How many do we have already?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:04 pm 

Well the new hospital on 500 is not going to be built any time soon, due to the credit crisis

Lincolnway looks bad right now with that huge track of empty land. And the developer wanting to have VU rent space, how stupid could he have been

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:54 pm 

I saw a large yellow STORE CLOSING sign on the front of Office Depot today.

Maybe the Times investigate reporters will see it soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:36 pm 

saveourmoney wrote:
I saw a large yellow STORE CLOSING sign on the front of Office Depot today.

Maybe the Times investigate reporters will see it soon.

Doubtful.

They are to busy creating misleading headlines like "Truck stolen from county police's auto theft division"

Reading that headline, it makes it appear the truck was stolen from a police station, yet it was an officers personal vehicle stolen from his house