Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The V-Line
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:07 am 

Is such a great success that they want the VU students to give more for it

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/10/07/news ... 832139.txt

Is the city going to contribute more to the pot? Oh wait, I forgot, the city got the funding from grants, so they need to reapply soon, othjerwise they have to ponby up itself, which they will not do

Come on Costas, how about putting some of your own people's money into the V-Line instead of making the rest of th e taxpayers fund your black hole of a bus system

and I still do not believe they have the ridership numbers they claim, considering I have talked to 2 different drivers and they told me how they love getting paid to drive around for 8 hours and barely pick anyone up. The only line that is busy is the brown line, which closes in the summer(its the VU route)

Oh and VU has been promoting it since it started, so the city trying to claim that VU never promoted it is also wrong

Hey Valpo, how about dropping the V-Line, its a flop and you know it

And speaking of buses the city claims the new bus service to Chicago is a hit as well:

http://www.post-trib.com/news/1205882,vtrip.article

So 12 people makes it a hit? Thats $180 for the first day, the buses cost millions, so maybe in 100 yrs the buses will be paid off...oh wait thats right, the taxpayers paid for the buses, not the city

I think its time for the city to pony up the money for this as well, then lets see if the city is for the pissing away of money, bet if the city had to pay for it, they would be dropped ASAP as it loses money

and i do not see those buses ever being full nor able to fund themselves, no bus service is ever self sufficient, which is why cities that offer them tend to drop them in budget crisis's come up(Hammond, Gary, EC, etc)

Post subject: Re: The V-Line
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:19 pm 

Does it say Summers only expects 40 to 60 commuters for both buses combined?

OMG, its NOT WORTH THE TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will the same be said for the South Shore Extension after it is running? (we only expected 50 people?)

Where is the 26,000 jobs? We should need 500 buses!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:24 pm 

I drove the Borman and Toll road today. You sure can tell the difference now that THE DASH is in operation. All the traffic congestion is relieved, air quality is better and gas has dropped $.50 a gallon since the 40 people are on those 2 buses.

NOT!
:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:11 am 

I drove by the pick up point in Valpo, saw about 6 people waiting, but I bet the city will claim 20 rode it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:07 am 

20 people in two buses? They should have bought big vans!

KarenT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:06 am 

karent wrote:
20 people in two buses? They should have bought big vans!

KarenT

The buses can hold 54 people and the person in charge would be happy with 20-30 on each bus

Sorry, but there is no way anyone can be happy with less than half the bus used each trip.

I do not see this staying around once the grant runs out, if it does, the city itself better be paying for it

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:13 pm 

Oh, I'm sure the city (me and the rest of the taxpayers) will be paying for it.

KarenT

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:43 pm 

I seem to remember a parade with a bicycle built for 6.

It can be the new ChicaBikeGo; ecologically green, get physically fit, take the new toll free Marquette plan walkway-bike trail to Chicago with no traffic congestion. All we need is another parking lot, terminal and 80K administrator. It ONLY adds another 2 hours to the commute for you workaholics but saves a trip to the Y for a workout.

Sorry no pickups from Chesterton if there is an empty set of pedals.
:smt006