Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Its Time
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:48 pm 

It is time for the towns/cities/and county to start patrolling all the red lights along SR 49

Another person was killed today because of a semi running the red light, which seems to be the norm on SR 49 these days

Very rarely do I ever immediately pull onto 49 when I see semi's coming, because the chances are great that they will not stop, and most of the time they do, but out of every 10 times, I'd say twice does a semi not bother to stop, let alone slow down

It is time for Chesterton, Valpo and the County cops to start cracking down on the semi's who run the red lights

And the funny thing is, I left a comment on the Times newsite about not being surprised if it ends up being that the semi ran the red light, which I posted shortly after it originally went on the website, and they did not post it, but then it turns out that a semi did indeed run the red light.

Post subject: Re: Its Time
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:08 pm 

If there is a needed place for red light cameras, it is 49 at 400 and 500N.

If there is a needed place for an overpass crossing it is 49 at 400 and 500N.

It was ridiculous that 49 bypass was ever built with SR 2 being the northern intersection for Valparaiso. If you look at northnound SR 49 near 50 S, there is a big green sign saying Valparaiso next 3 intersections meaning Division, US 30 and SR 2.

400, 500, and 600 N were deemed just county roads by the state. Of course we all know how much traffic moves north out of Valparaiso "going to work". The state expected Valparaiso northbound users to use SR 2.

Lets complete the overpass at 400N and get an overpass at 500N, save somelives and get it over with.

Let me guess, we have let developers surrounding 500N and 49 already..............

This is all the more reason the main entrance for the maybe new SB Memorial Hospital shoud be 400N that is getting an overpass.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:12 pm 

saveourmoney wrote:

It was ridiculous that 49 bypass was ever built with SR 2 being the northern intersection for Valparaiso. If you look at northnound SR 49 near 50 S, there is a big green sign saying Valparaiso next 3 intersections meaning Division, US 30 and SR 2.

400, 500, and 600 N were deemed just county roads by the state. Of course we all know how much traffic moves north out of Valparaiso "going to work". The state expected Valparaiso northbound users to use SR 2.

Lets complete the overpass at 400N and get an overpass at 500N, save somelives and get it over with.

Let me guess, we have let developers surrounding 500N and 49 already..............

This is all the more reason the main entrance for the maybe new SB Memorial Hospital shoud be 400N that is getting an overpass.

Before you rush ahead of yourself, 49 and Indian boundary Road in Chesterton has way more traffic than 49 and 500N does. until 49 and IBR has an overpass, the last bribe bridge to be built(thats what it is) should be 49 and 400N

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:24 pm 

mike3775 wrote:
Another person was killed today because of a semi running the red light, which seems to be the norm on SR 49 these

Her name is Robin Hass Birky, 41.

She lived next door to my parents when she was in grad school many moons ago.

I danced with her at my sisters wedding and although I haven't seen her in years, I remember her and her son Coel very well. She was a wonderful person.

:cry:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:58 pm 

I agree Mike most redlights on 49 are a death trap. The toll road entrance recently has had it's share of fatalities also. My wife was t-boned at 1100 N last spring.

Chesterton PD keeps traffic under 55 but south of the toll road it is pedal to the metal; the rig with the biggest tires wins.

I did speak of the Valpo intersections because I attended the Valpo 49 planning meetings and had knowledge of the state's selection process.

The US 30 cloverleaf is a three leaf clover to save money. To make it a 4 leaf clover the state would have had to buy out two more mobile home lots. That means east US 30 to North 49 traffic must turn left across oncoming traffic for the next million years.

We never have the money to do it right the first time, but we never have the money to do it over. The paving job was so bad we all remember repaving after just a few years.

Soon we may have 2 hospitals needing 49 access. At least Porter will be near an existing overpass.

My sympathy goes to the Birky family.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:03 am 

I have no problem with the way the cloverleafs that are on 49 are done. thats not an issue

I think any other overpasses should have enter/exit lanes like what is built at US 6 and SR 49.

I have read(but not seen) of 3 different types of interchanges the city of Valpo wants for 400N and 49, and what I do not understand is why they simply do a cloverleaf and leave it at that, but Valpo wants to send a feeder lane to Silhavy(why?), and something else.

Its sad that it takes an accident for the police to finally do its job. I have been complaining for years now about semi's and red lights on 49. and every so often, it makes the paper that the police will be watching, and they even post stats saying x amount of tickets were written last week, but then they go away just as fast as they started.

I have an idea on where the cops could come from, just tell the ones who like to sit at the area around Angelcrest cemetary off of 49 to pick a traffic light at random to sit by and observe for an hour at a time, I bet they would have at least 1 ticket within an hour of sitting at it. Then they could move to another light for a bit, then another, all shift long

Hell they could even get the state cops that like to sit at the US 6 bridge involved as well.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:08 pm 

A few years back I turned right off Vale Park Rd onto 49 and suddenly had a semi (running a red) on my tail honking like mad. I'm lucky I wasn't hit.

The other problem is at the route 2 ramp to get on southbound 49 - due to the construction there is a temporary stop sign there. I've almost been hit twice by people running the stop sign.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:43 am 

saveourmoney wrote:

I can't wait til the hospital is finished. If they even think for a second that they can get away with having a hospital at that intersection and not have an overpass then they are out of their minds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:54 pm 

Crystal wrote:
saveourmoney wrote:

I can't wait til the hospital is finished. If they even think for a second that they can get away with having a hospital at that intersection and not have an overpass then they are out of their minds.

Since Valpo created the TIF district for the hospital to build them a nice parking garage, then the city should use the TIF revenues to build the overpass and interchange then. Simple as that. Use the TIF funds to build it.

And they will not need an overpass at 500 because of the hospital, people can go down the new road that the city wants to build from 400 as well remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:27 pm 

If / when the economy ever recovers, 500 N will soon look like Indian Boundary. The corners will be filled with businesses with no room for an overpass.

We may not need the overpass today, but we need to save the land for it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:27 pm 

saveourmoney wrote:
If / when the economy ever recovers, 500 N will soon look like Indian Boundary. The corners will be filled with businesses with no room for an overpass.

We may not need the overpass today, but we need to save the land for it.

Like i said above, Valpo wanted to create the TIF, so they have a useage for the TIF.

If they want it, they can buy it, simple as that

The rest of the tyaxpayers in the county and state should not put 1 cent into the area around 500N. Valpo has the TIF to do any and all infrastructure upgrades, let them use the TIF funds to pay for it, like they are doing for the parking garage for the hopsital that broke ground in June...oh my bad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:17 pm 

Well, here's some good news.
http://nwi.com/articles/2008/09/05/news ... 81174f.txt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am 

I love how they are claiming it was planned before the accidents, which we know is false

Now if they would only maintain it after they are done, to send a clear message

I wonder when the grant money came in, that seems to be the only time police ever do anything anymore these days

And this is why I am all for red light camera's as well.