Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What does Portage have against truck drivers?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:43 pm 

My husband is a truck driver...and one of his benefits, is that the company he drives for, allows him to drive his semi tractor back and forth to work. My husband has been parking his semi tractor at one of the stores in town, that he delivers to and is owned by the same company my husband drives for.

Just recently, the city attorney and our city council members here in Portage, changed the line for where semi tractors can park in the city limits. They of course wasted no time, making it illegal for my husband to park his semi tractor in the company lot in town. However, another parking lot next to my husband's company is allowed to park thier semi's in thier private lot.

How much did that city attorney and city council member's prejudice cost you folks in Portage and Porter County? About $100,000 a year. You see, my husband drives for a big company...and some of the trucks for the company fuel not once a week, but twice a week at the Portage fuel stop on the Tollway. Diesel fuel tax (federal, city/county )is 61.6 cents a gallon. ..which is used by you folks in Portage and all of Porter County for roads; road repairs; school; police; etc.

Needless to say, after my husband's company was notified how the Portage city attorney and city council members refuse to allow my husband to park his semi tractor on private property owned by the company...or anywhere else in Portage. The company has now change the fuel stops for the semi trucks heading into Indiana, to Illinois.

Heck, why pay fuel taxes in a city where your company's semi tractor isn't welcome?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 2:43 am 

The plot thickens. Truck driving hubby almost got arrested tonight by a Portage police officer...for of all things, backing his semi up to a loading dock at one of the Portage stores. No joke. Only in Portage, eh.

Hubby was backing his semi into a store parking lot, in order to do a delivery...after manuvering a sixty foot trailer into the lot, in pulls a Portage police officer...overheads flashing.

The officer gets out of his squad car and begins to read my hubby the riot act. First of all, the officer claims my hubby is 'stupid', and then informs him that he could be arrested, because it was illegal for him to back his semi up. Note: hubby has been delivering to this Portage store, every Tuesday night, for the last ten years...and suddenly it is not only illegal for hubby to back his semi up, but it is also an arrestable offense.

The officer even suggested that my hubby deliver to the Portage store at a later hour...preferably not his shift.

Dang, who peed in that cop's Wheaties?

Bad cop...no donut for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:12 pm 

Did you ever find out WHO peed in that cop's Wheaties?

My guess is it was either your husband, or the store owner/manager ...hmmmmm :arrow:

Good little mystery story :D