Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sheriff Philpot? Enough Is Enough!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:25 am 

http://www.nwitimes.com/articles/2008/1 ... 16ceed.txt

Apparently Buncich is none too happy with Dr. Philpot raining on his coronation parade. Problem is I don't really care for either one to be sheriff. Apparently no Republican is good enough to be seriously considered "qualified" to be sheriff in the Dem stronghold of Lake County, Indiana. OK I get that. I don't agree with it. I don't like it. But I get it.

STILL, isn't there ANYBODY from any party who would be a good administrator who is neither beholding to the old Bob Pastrick machine or a long time county politico? :roll:

These past few years under the rein of Roy Domingas the conditions at the county jail have been deplorable. He has made this county a laughing stock in law enforcement circles. One or two incidents I might could excuse. But it seems like this department's head honchos never seem to learn from their mistakes!

When a simple $100 UPS can prevent the computers from crashing and inadvertently allowing the wrong inmates to be released you have to see there is a problem with priorities. And how many prisoners need to commit suicide and how many times do we have to be sued over prisoner treatment before someone who knows what they're doing will step in and effect reforms? And with prisoner overcrowding why has no one even looked into a contract to house long term prisoners at the underutilized Porter County jail instead of looking for ways to justify a new county complex here?

I will say this about the politics at hand. I have the feeling that after the big push to get out the vote for Obama a lot of people will look to pass on being active in the 2010 races. That may be very good news for disenfranchised Republicans. In a word it's now or never for the GOP in LC. So pick your contenders carefully and let them start looking like the viable alternative they need to be. Otherwise there is really no point in bothering with even sporting a county Republican organization anymore. Certainly not in north county. Might just as well call it quits and let every Republican minded candidate run as an independent.

In fact that might be about the ONLY way to alleviate the polarizing effect of disdain for Republican candidates around here. The local GOP is now on life support and short of a total collapse of government by President elect Obama and his Dem Congress I do not see much hope for Republicans for more than a few paltry races. And while that collapse or that apathy are possibilities I would not count on that being enough because we have seen in the past that the Dem stronghold on this county has shown little reason for the Dem candidates to even bother campaigning past the primary. It's a lock. And about the only way to open that lock is to give the voters a good reason to not simply vote party in the general election.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.