Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: NWI Times Taking Ads from FBC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:29 pm 

I'm just curious what people think about that. Most of us know of FBC's checkered past based upon arrests and civil suits if nothing else. Unfortunately several very lively discussions reguarding the past and present of that church are locked up on the Times board along with their links to documentation.

I wonder when the Times will resort to advertising strip clubs and sex toys. :roll:

For the record I'm not challenging their right to accept ad dollars from whomever they want other than more obvious exceptions, mainly illegal. But does a local media outlet have any real obligation to the community as to who's ads they run? Some have alleged from their own personal experiences they feel it is closer to a cult than a church. Should that even matter??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:52 pm 

Your compareing a church to a strip club :shock: I have nothing further to say

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:58 pm 

G_23 wrote:

You might be surprised but some of us are under the opinion that in the case of this particular "church" the strip club might have more credibility. At least they're more honest about what you're getting for your patronage. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:01 pm 

Mirage wrote:
G_23 wrote:

You might be surprised but some of us are under the opinion that in the case of this particular "church" the strip club might have more credibility. At least they're more honest about what you're getting for your patronage. :twisted:

Strip club patrons certainly tip better.

Post subject: Re: NWI Times Taking Ads from FBC
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:28 pm 

Mirage wrote:
I'm just curious what people think about that. Most of us know of FBC's checkered past based upon arrests and civil suits if nothing else. Unfortunately several very lively discussions reguarding the past and present of that church are locked up on the Times board along with their links to documentation.

I wonder when the Times will resort to advertising strip clubs and sex toys. :roll:

For the record I'm not challenging their right to accept ad dollars from whomever they want other than more obvious exceptions, mainly illegal. But does a local media outlet have any real obligation to the community as to who's ads they run? Some have alleged from their own personal experiences they feel it is closer to a cult than a church. Should that even matter??

You bring up a very good point, Mirage.

Take for example the reason given for the message board being shut down...and use that in comparison to your question I highlighted in red.

We are playing tug-of-war...

Where is the discretion :?:

Is it a lost art?

Just for the record... I haven't bought a paper in years :)

I get fed up with the BS... a really long time ago :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:23 pm 
Banned

what drives me nuts is the church is given permission to occasionally shut the streets down that run through its property. i usually come down sole on my way home from work. and there once monthly revivals or whatever they call them...wind up with me having to go around the danged thing to get home. or else wait 20 minutes trying to make a left hand turn on calumet from fayette.

what ever happenned to the seperation of church and state? you dems are big on it at the national level. but for some reason your letting the church take over a public roadway too screw my trip home!

too bad im not on the air anymore. i'd have a lot of fun with that rant.

(its not a big deal to me. just darned annoying)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:30 pm 

As one who was born and raised in Hammond and who attended First Baptist Church until reaching the age of 14 in 1963, when my parents joined those who split off and formed Meadow Lane Baptist Church, I would like to know how FBC got such a bad reputation among so many people.

I was too young, I guess, to get involved in church politics, and Mom and Dad never explained to me their decision to join Meadow Lane. I don't remember thinking it was a big deal one way or the other, but I had nothing personally against FBC at the time we left.

I have been away from Hammond since 1973, and maybe things have happened since then to discredit the ministry at FBC? Could someone give me a synopsis on what has happened. Is there DOCUMENTED evidence of wrong doing?

I was saved at FBC as an 11 year old boy during the early days of the late Dr. Jack Hyles's ministry, so I hate to hear bad things about that church. (I know that term, "saved" will elicit scorn among many readers, but it is the biblical term most often used to denote one's personal acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior.)

Thanks.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:10 am 

edited

Last edited by paul87920 on Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:07 am 
Banned

paul, i suppose i could volunteer to do if for free but that wouldnt pay any bills. sadly, wjob is dead to me and most of the rest of the region presently and the few remaining radio outlets in the region wont allow any political talk.

i could go to some of the smaller chicago stations, as ive been offerred, but the fact is i'd have to do a show more wider in scope than i would prefer for the larger geographical audience and think i would wind up sounding way to similar to others in the business to be successfull. the local niche is what attracted me to my old show as well as the possibility of really making a difference in my community. and if i did go to one of the smaller chicago stations i'd actually be making less money than i do now through the three various jobs i am working.

no offense to other communities but my interests lie in northwest indiana with my family, friends, and home.

tom. fbc lost its way when it decided to become a mega church. it swept through the city and other nieghboring communities on its mission to save everyone with very pushy sales pictches. there isnt a kid in hammond who grew up in the 70's and early 80's who wasnt wooed by them while innocently playing in a local park or simply walking home from school, and almost always only when there were no parents around.

personally i remember 3 of them coming up to me and a small group of friends in hessville park when i was about 7. they basically tried to scare us with the fear of hell fire and damnation even at that young age. its not the type of tactic people, who are now adults, easilly forget.

besides incidents like that...there have been far worse...in which the kids they were recruiting were alledgedly molested by some of the recruiters.

in recent years the tactics have improved...they now just annoyingly go door to door...but again a reputation is hard to change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:12 am 
Banned

I think that it is great that NWT is taking Ads from FBC, and I think that WJOB should take them too, as long as the money is legal, and all. The preacher is lame, but Mynra has possiblilities, and she needs to dissociate herself from him, and have her own show....at least it would be serious, and not silly, like the Preacher.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:29 am 

Tom J wrote:
As one who was born and raised in Hammond and who attended First Baptist Church until reaching the age of 14 in 1963, when my parents joined those who split off and formed Meadow Lane Baptist Church, I would like to know how FBC got such a bad reputation among so many people.

I was too young, I guess, to get involved in church politics, and Mom and Dad never explained to me their decision to join Meadow Lane. I don't remember thinking it was a big deal one way or the other, but I had nothing personally against FBC at the time we left.

I have been away from Hammond since 1973, and maybe things have happened since then to discredit the ministry at FBC? Could someone give me a synopsis on what has happened. Is there DOCUMENTED evidence of wrong doing?

I was saved at FBC as an 11 year old boy during the early days of the late Dr. Jack Hyles's ministry, so I hate to hear bad things about that church. (I know that term, "saved" will elicit scorn among many readers, but it is the biblical term most often used to denote one's personal acceptance of Christ as Lord and Savior.)

Thanks.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Others may know of "Documented" evidence of wrong doing. I do not. I have a general distaste for people who feel they are in a position to tell other people how to live their lives. (i.e. the easter sunday kiss concert protest.) I have a general distaste for organizations that buy up large amounts of property then allow it to fall into disrepair. (i.e. everything from Calumet to Homan in the area of FBC, owned by FBC. ) I have a general distaste for organizations that appear to be given special treatment in the city. (i.e. the street closures mentioned.) But what really gets me is when the national convention comes to town. A waitress busts her @#$ taking care of a table for 20 (usually ignoring me in the process) and is left a card with a bible verse for her trouble instead of a tip.

FBC just happens to be the organization in Hammond that meets these criteria.

To be fair though, some of my good friends growing up went to FBC. It's the organization I don't like. If I did some real research into it I bet I could probably isolate my distaste to a couple of knuckleheads in the organization, but I'm too lazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:36 am 
Banned

I know that FBC is bi-lingual, and that they have a Spanish church close by the big one. They are a VERY progressive church to have done this. They have a far vision! Yes, Bible verses are better than rotten money left on a table where thieves can steal it; it was a tip for your lost soul!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:48 am 

expresso66 wrote:
Yes, Bible verses are better than rotten money left on a table where thieves can steal it; it was a tip for your lost soul!

[sarcasm="share-her-ville"] Ah... I'm sorry. It was a tip for her lost soul! That makes it much better! I'm sure her landlord felt that Bible verses were better than rotten money as well. [/sarcasm]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:52 am 
Banned

Rent has nothing to do with religion; however the waitress, since she was serving the religious, got what they though was proper and good for her soul. After all, those people's job is saving lost souls.........I just hope that they are saved!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:18 am 

expresso66 wrote:
Rent has nothing to do with religion

Uh... your right. Rent has nothing to do with religion. But for a waitress, tips have EVERYTHING to do with rent.

expresso66 wrote:
however the waitress, since she was serving the religious,

Now I get it. You are saying that if you don't want a bible verse for a tip, don't serve the baptists. Good advice.

expresso66 wrote:
got what they though was proper and good for her soul.

I see. You are saying that instead of giving people what is reasonable and customary, you should give them whatever you think is best for them. So when a big fat @$$ baptist orders steak and eggs for breakfast the waitress should bring a chocolate Slim-Fast instead.

expresso66 wrote:
After all, those people's job is saving lost souls.........I just hope that they are saved!

Someday maybe the baptists will learn that this type of behavior does not tend to help recruiting efforts. Rather this type of behavior is exactly what makes people despise HBC.