Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: WHY FIREWORKS IN INDIANA?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:19 am 

I wonder if anyone ever found the pattern of big bucks that has paved the way for the sale of Fireworks in Indiana. If you notice the operators have free run on things. They have sign ordinaces but they are mainly ignored. The Fireworks guys put up signs anywhere they please. They never have to take them down. If a reputable business owner attempts to put up a sign, they have to go thru hell and high water to do so. In many cases their sign request is rejected. I guess their hours of being open are not regulated either. They have these temporary lights to brighten their stands and what have you. I wonder if the city inspectors authorize their installation. I imagine many neighbors complain about these lights. If you ever travel I80 (the borman expressway) the majority of the billboards from Joliet to Michigan City are for Firewoks in Hammond Mainly. Has anyone on the this board checked how much money is given to the politicians for this privledge?

Post subject: Re: WHY FIREWORKS IN INDIANA?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:52 pm 

I've wondered that myself.
As far as I understand, local inspectors and other officials don't have much authority over these places.
I know some firefighters were very unhappy when the state gave carte blanche to these places.
I was wondering if it was finally going to be the day of tragedy when Kaplan's place on south Calumet Avenue caught on fire. Can you imagine what happens in a neighborhood when one of those places really goes up in flames?
This business must be extremely profitable. A place near me, right on the state line on Gostlin, is only open for a few weeks around the 4th of July each year. Their building just sits there unused the rest of the time. They have a sign that says "Open year round" but they aren't.
It's like a war zone around the holiday when the customers try out there purchases in a field across the street from my house. Each year I hope they keep the stuff off my roof.
That industry must spread LOTS of dough around in Indy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:29 pm 

We'll add this to the list of stupid topics you have started. First, the largest fireworks stores, Shelton and Phantom Fireworks are located in Porter and Chesterton. Crazy Kaplan's is owned by a very successful businessman from Munster, Greg Kaplan. Here is a story from the Times where Mr. Kaplan talks about property taxes he pays on his ten locations, in addition to employing over two hundred people. The fireworks industry in Indiana has done a very good job on the state level lobbying for changes in the fireworks laws that have greatly benefited their business. As I reread your moronic post, in occurs to me that nothing in your post is true. Your contention that fireworks stands receive preferential treatment for signs is BS. Your contention that fireworks stands aren't subject to inspection is a lie.Exactly why do you think the hours of businesses should be regulated? There are plenty of businesses that are open 24/7. In short, your entire post is an unfounded attack on honest businessman who are pursuing their vision of the American Dream. Are you jealous of their success because you are such a failure in life?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:25 pm 

splorks wrote:
We'll add this to the list

of why everyone thinks you are an ignorant trolling asswipe.

Hit the bricks, fatboy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm 

Hey Spunk,

Since you're so tight with Greg Kaplan, maybe you can tell me what percentage of his inventory is American-made? How many firecrackers and sparklers carry the union label? How many "good union jobs" do his stores provide? Does he purchase any of his goods from China? What do you think of his building a successful enterprise through selling foreign-made goods to NWI dopes--you know--solid union folk who's collectivist parents and grandparents built America and have iron ore dust running through their veins? He probably takes a good chunk out of the thriving Hammond/Gary/East Chicago alcohol and tobacco trade, no? Do any of your fellow union nosepickers purchase foreign-made fireworks from non-union retail personnel?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 pm 

Phantom Fireworks is located in Highland on Indianapolis Blvd in the old Robert Hall location. Thats their main office and store. For myself, I think the fireworks stands cheapen the towns. I still ask, how do they get away with so many violations on the sign ordinances? Open a business and attempt to erect a sign and the towns get after you immediately. Not so with the fireworks guys. another question. I wonder how much they spend on lobbiest in INDY plus for local campaigns? I heard something about paid vacations for some. Well we can say one thing, it's a blast!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:31 am 

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
Hey Spunk,

Since you're so tight with Greg Kaplan, maybe you can tell me what percentage of his inventory is American-made? How many firecrackers and sparklers carry the union label? How many "good union jobs" do his stores provide? Does he purchase any of his goods from China? What do you think of his building a successful enterprise through selling foreign-made goods to NWI dopes--you know--solid union folk who's collectivist parents and grandparents built America and have iron ore dust running through their veins? He probably takes a good chunk out of the thriving Hammond/Gary/East Chicago alcohol and tobacco trade, no? Do any of your fellow union nosepickers purchase foreign-made fireworks from non-union retail personnel?

So now the "fullofcrapkid" wants to discuss free trade? You've got to be kidding me. First, you start a post full of allegations that you can't prove, now you want to venture into discussing free trade and unions? Most consumer grade fireworks are made in China because the Chinese are very good at efficiently producing fireworks. The Chinese have huge amounts of cheap,unskilled labor and have no problem using that workforce like slaves. In a free country like the United States, citizens should be free to spend their money any way they see fit. I've met plenty of union people in NWI Indiana and most of them are far more patriotic than you'll ever be. However, there will always be some a$$holes like the Preacher who bash unions even though the union wages his dad made fed and clothed him,along with buying the home the failed drifter lives in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:55 am 

splirks wrote:
In short, your entire post is an unfounded attack on honest businessman who are pursuing their vision of the American Dream.

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
Since you're so tight with Greg Kaplan, maybe you can tell me what percentage of his inventory is American-made? How many firecrackers and sparklers carry the union label? How many "good union jobs" do his stores provide? Does he purchase any of his goods from China?

splorks wrote:
Most consumer grade fireworks are made in China because the Chinese are very good at efficiently producing fireworks. The Chinese have huge amounts of cheap,unskilled labor and have no problem using that workforce like slaves.

BBWBWWBWBWBWBWBWBHAHHAAHAHHAHAHHAAHAAHAHHAA

That is way too funny...... :smt005 :lol: :smt006

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:17 am 

sparks wrote:
Most consumer grade fireworks are made in China because the Chinese are very good at efficiently producing fireworks. The Chinese have huge amounts of cheap,unskilled labor and have no problem using that workforce like slaves.

That's just it. Thanks to you union mouthbreathers, very few things can be efficiently produced in outmoded industrial areas like NWI. The Lake Countys, Chicagos, Youngstowns, Detroits, etc. have huge amounts of EXPENSIVE, unskilled labor who think that if they aren't promised six 15-minute breaks per day, long, lazy lunches, eight weeks of vacation, unsustainable raises, and a lock on their jobs no matter how poorly they perform them that they are being used like slaves. Add to that the unwavering support you offer to the local corrupt Democrat party and you have a recipe for....Hammond/Gary/East Chicago.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:25 am 

sparks wrote:
We'll add this to the list of stupid topics you have started. First, the largest fireworks stores, Shelton and Phantom Fireworks are located in Porter and Chesterton. Crazy Kaplan's is owned by a very successful businessman from Munster, Greg Kaplan. Here is a story from the Times where Mr. Kaplan talks about property taxes he pays on his ten locations, in addition to employing over two hundred people. The fireworks industry in Indiana has done a very good job on the state level lobbying for changes in the fireworks laws that have greatly benefited their business. As I reread your moronic post, in occurs to me that nothing in your post is true. Your contention that fireworks stands receive preferential treatment for signs is BS. Your contention that fireworks stands aren't subject to inspection is a lie.Exactly why do you think the hours of businesses should be regulated? There are plenty of businesses that are open 24/7. In short, your entire post is an unfounded attack on honest businessman who are pursuing their vision of the American Dream. Are you jealous of their success because you are such a failure in life?

So tell us why you circulated a petition to close down a business in YOUR neighborhood....