Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How Do We Curb Spending?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:41 am 

SCH can basically spend as it sees fit. They bloat their budget with twice the amount of administrators they had years ago when school enrollment was almost double what it is today. They build buildings reguardless of what the people want or where the people want.

The library has the right to spend & tax as it sees fit. Same for the city council.

It has been said that even if the council would make drastic cuts the SCH would gobble up those savings and spend it on themselves.

Does anyone else see that the deck seems to be stacked here?

The North Township Trustees office has been a joke for years and we seem to have no say there either.

Yes I know there is a formula composed of how big each part can increase spending. But there is no real method to cap spending entirely, let alone reduce it.

My personal budget, and likely yours, has a limitation. My employer will not automatically give me more money just because I want it, no matter how good the excuse. So why can the government basically charge whatever it wants, especially in a city whos population has been declining for years along with the income levels of those who remain?

It's no wonder many city workers refuse to live here, though to his credit the mayor is trying to change that a little at a time. It just costs too darn much to live here!

Before long, Hammond's theme may go from "the city that works" or "think Hammond" or whatever it is anymore to "the vacant town with nice new streets and schools that nobody uses."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:39 am 

Wrong Forum, belongs in the Hammond Forum.

β€œAt the core of liberalism is the spoiled child β€” miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Test
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:34 am 

This reply is a test. :D