Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Blizzard of 67
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:12 am 

It was this day 40 years ago that the snow began falling, heralding the arrival of the Great Blizzard of 1967. The date was January 26, 1967, but it was a Thursday, so today, even though it is the 25th, is really the day which corresponds with the onset of the snow.

Anyone have blizzard pictures, or links to pictures to share? Stories to tell?

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:43 am 

Oh, yeah, it has been so long that I have forgotten a lot of the details. Can someone give us a little chronology of the storm?

When did the snow get deep enough to be a problem? Did we get out of school early on that Thursday, or was the snow not all that deep until Thursday night?

I would love to know the hour by hour snow totals. There must be records somewhere that would contain that info.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:14 pm 

http://www.post-trib.com/news/230456,blizzard.article

Remembering the blizzard of '67

January 26, 2007

Former Gary businessman Jim Henderson remembers the storm well.

"We've had many snowstorms. But nothing like that before or since," said Henderson, now 85.

"I burnt out the clutch of my truck trying to get home," he recalls.

Linda Newton remembers her father put a shovel on the front of his truck to clear streets in Lake Station of snow.

"There was a lot of people stuck in their cars because it was a tremendous storm," she said.

"Dad loaded us all in the truck and we brought hot coffee, tea and blanket to them," Newton, now 57, said.

She said her parents also opened their home to some strangers.

"There was a lot of good memories even though it was a devastating storm," said Newton, now a volunteer at the Lake Station Food Pantry.

The family of Post-Tribune correspondent Charles Bartholomew ran a funeral home in downtown Valparaiso.

"By Thursday afternoon, it was obvious we were in for something big," he recalls. "The first snowplow passed my grandmother's house in mid-afternoon when the snow was still only ankle-deep, veering around her Rambler.

The next morning I couldn't open the front door to get the newspaper, and we didn't see another plow until late Sunday, after I had finished shoveling out the car, which was in up to the hood on one side ...

"On Saturday morning I took a snow shovel over to Boucher Gym at the high school in response to the superintendent's call for people to dig out the gym so that the basketball team could practice ...

"On Sunday I took a solo hike straight out Valparaiso Street and along the continental divide between Loomis and Flint lakes to the Edgewater neighborhood. At that time, Valparaiso north of Albert Street was unpaved, and the city plows had stopped exactly at the city limits ... I continued through thigh-deep snow all the way to Edgewater Beach Road, where almost everyone, it seemed, was out shoveling the roadway, all the way out to highway 49, where only one lane had been plowed and what traffic there was moved in fits and starts. Someone saw me walking toward town and offered me a ride, it took the better part of an hour to get back."

Jeffrey Ward, now chief of the Gary Fire Department, was working the 4 p.m. to midnight shift at U.S. Steel's Gary Works 40 years ago.

"When I left for work there wasn't a problem. But when I was leaving work the boss said we couldn't go because we were snowed in and had to stay at the mill."

Ward decided to leave anyway. "I walked in waist-high snow and it took me an hour to get home," Ward, who at the time lived in the Midtown section of Gary, recalled.

Jim Utter, 47, of Morocco was 7 when the blizzard hit.

"... I remember my father lowering me out the window so I could shovel the snow from the front door. I still remember all the cars covered by snow."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 8:24 am 
Banned

I remember the 67' storm too; I was working for the Hammond Library System, and I had to call in saying that I was trapped by the snow! HOWEVER, no one answer the phone; now, I wonder why?~~~~ :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 11:52 am 

expresso66 wrote:
I remember the 67' storm too; I was working for the Hammond Library System, and I had to call in saying that I was trapped by the snow! HOWEVER, no one answer the phone; now, I wonder why?~~~~ :lol:

They MUST have had Caller I.D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 2:06 pm 
Banned

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:09 pm 

BigWhiteGuy wrote:
expresso66 wrote:

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:15 pm 
Banned

:smt109

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:44 pm 
Banned

chuckmo48 wrote:
BigWhiteGuy wrote:
expresso66 wrote:

Image[/quote]
Image[/quote]
Image[/quote]
Image[/quote]
Image[/quote]
Image[/quote]

Some favor...look what happened...he's still around. LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:36 am 
Banned

8) This Urright is a fake and suck puppy; just ignore her folks!