Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Repay's Replacement - Who could it be?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:51 pm 

I was thinking of all the possibilities today as to who could fill the remainder of Repay’s term and become the next McPuppet to hold office, AKA Cynthia II. You know the mayor will have to find someone who will agree with everything he says, votes as told and do plenty of worship at his feet. Here are a few of the names I have heard:

As we know the Fifth is full of some very powerful people. None more powerful than Dave “The Mailman” Woerpel. So would the mayor give the position to his friend the farmer? We know Dave had the backing of the majority of the committeemen in the Fifth since he is their Capitan and leader but do they still back him after the scandal? If the mayor wants to advance his career in politics this would not be the way to go even if Dave is able to get his current charges pled down.

Next up is Pat Moore Jr. The mayor “had” to demote his friend. What better way to take care of him than to give him the council job and then he could replace his lost overtime with a council check? With no loss in income there would be no decrease in the ability of Pat to buy tickets to Team McDermott functions.

If not Pat there is always “Mrs. Fireman” (if you remember she is a dear “friend” of Markovich). As long as the money stays in the house it really won’t matter who is collecting the check.

The next would create the ability to reward two people at once. Kathy Kaz was the councilwoman before Repay defeated her. She is currently head of the recycling department. So if Kathy won she could not be a department head. But he could then have her swap positions with Fowler. You see she gets an increase in pay and so does he. And besides Fowler could be a councilwoman’s boss, he would love that.

Then we have another firefighter Mike Opinker who wants the job. The man sold plenty of tickets to his own fundraisers in the past but he has never actually run for anything. Could this be his year?

My long shot pick would be Mrs. McDermott. I think she lives in the Fifth. Now the mayor can’t make her open a business and work in Hammond. I wonder if she would vote as told.

If the mayor was smart he would pick someone from outside this inner circle. But my bet is that it is one of the above.

Anyone else have any suggestions or ideas?

Post subject: Re: Repay's Replacement - Who could it be?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:02 pm 

Excellent analysis, Dat.
I've been out of that district too long to know who the movers and shakers are. You make a good argument for all the people you mentioned.
I just hope it is someone smart (like Repay) and someone who can be independent.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:07 pm 

freetime wrote:
I just hope it is someone smart (like Repay) and someone who can be independent.

Yes and I hope to win Lotto every week and we know the chances of that are slim. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:39 pm 

I agree with most of those names. You have left off one that I believe is a strong possibility.

The person I'm thinking of supposedly moved to the 4th district. I checked the assessor's records on line - the person is not listed yet in the 4th, though mommy and daddy still are listed in the 5th district. This non-listing could be a time lag in the assessor's office. Understandable with the work load. None-the-less I think Steve Fowler might be Repay's replacement. After all what better sphincter neck is there in 4th or 5th - where ever he supposedly lives.

Don't be surprised if this comes to pass. I won't.

"Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God". Thomas Jefferson.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:22 pm 

OMG! Didn't even cross my mind, but yes, I suppose in Hammond these days, that could happen.
There goes my hope for a smart, independent council member!
That may be why he is giving up the radio show.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:29 pm 

Take a look at who the committee(persons) are in the fifth.

A neighbor predicts Opinker will get it with 9 votes. Plus, the firefighters will go after the mayor with pick axes if Fowler is even put forward. Although, with Higgs and Fowler on the council together, those meetings could be worth going to!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:36 am 

That's interesting that the fire department would not be happy with Fowler.

I had the mistaken impression that ALL McDermott gang members were part of a great big happy family.

Well, I guess not. Every family has its fights and problems. Even the McDermott gang.

One other thing...

Fowler claims to be a republican - though most understand he is a democrat (like Bobby Cantrell). One issue for him is how he voted in the last primary. But then again, maybe he can sign a affidavit that he is now a democrat. Not sure of the voting law in this issue.

Last edited by formerly hammond on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:59 am 

formerly hammond wrote:
Fowler claims to be a republican - though most understand he is a democrat (like Bobby Cantrell). One issue for him is how he voted in the last primary. But then again, maybe he can sign a affidavit that he is now a democrat. Not sure of the voting law in this issue.

He switched parties a couple of years ago. He felt he could get better mileage out of being a democrat than a republican. He wouldn't have gotten that well deserved promotion if he still had that R next to his name.

No. He's now a good little democrat.

Amy, why don't you stick to things that you do well like having kids rather than things you are neither capable nor motivated to even do poorly such as think and act like a mature adult - George T Janiec (I know,I'm childish)

What about the kids, George?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:05 am 

God Help us, maybe that is why he shut down his radio show.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 pm 

Assuming the Little Corporal (McDermott) insists that Private Fowler is the new 5th District Councilman - one need only worry about who the Corporal will hand pick to run against Kim in the 4th district. God help us all! I believe all the other seats are well spoken for.

The council meetings will be quite interesting with Higgs and Fowler seated right next to each other. I might actually come back to Hammond to watch that Cat fight!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:29 pm 

My money is on Higgs, he has longer finger nails!

I wonder what Fowler's driver license list as an address, utility bills, etc. Oh, I forgot, he is homeless.

BTW, I agree with free, I think the only reason he gave up his show was because of this transition.

The nice thing about this is I believe, come the election all this will bite team mcdermott in the a$$.

I do belive even more so that he will be unemployed.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:31 pm 

Amy Wigs wrote:
formerly hammond wrote:

He switched parties a couple of years ago. He felt he could get better mileage out of being a democrat than a republican. He wouldn't have gotten that well deserved promotion if he still had that R next to his name.

No. He's now a good little democrat.

He actually switched to get a longer appointment to the Sanitary District Board. McDermott first appointed him to a Repubiican slot, but then a longer Dem spot opened up (I forgot whose vacancy it was) and Fowler switched to claim that seat.
The word opportunist comes to mind.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:45 pm 

He used the the vacancy as an opportunity to switch parties. As long as there were no other vacancies, he had to vote R. Once he switched parties, he was able to get the longer, full term.

I will say, it's not all a bad thing. A real republican was appointed. A very qualified man who has taken the appointment very seriously.

Amy, why don't you stick to things that you do well like having kids rather than things you are neither capable nor motivated to even do poorly such as think and act like a mature adult - George T Janiec (I know,I'm childish)

What about the kids, George?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:50 pm 

The Grey Council wrote:
Take a look at who the committee(persons) are in the fifth.

A neighbor predicts Opinker will get it with 9 votes. Plus, the firefighters will go after the mayor with pick axes if Fowler is even put forward. Although, with Higgs and Fowler on the council together, those meetings could be worth going to!

Damm! I should have made book on this. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:39 am 

Cynthia II has now been put in place by the mayor. He was on my original list above but from the paper and the online docket he seems to have a very interesting background.

http://nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/art ... mode=story

Ironic that a McDermott/Hamm loyal fireman replaces the councilman that found the OT problems in the FD. I am sure it had nothing to do with that. :shock: