Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Meeting 5-16-2016
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:50 pm 

Here are the highlights of the meeting:

Mr. Janiec and Mrs. Jones were absent this evening.

Recognition/Presentation:

The Hess school choir sang 3 selections this evening. They were excellent ! Hess School also recognized the Young Authors this evening, the Science Olympiad Team, and the students who achieved perfect scores on the I Read 3 test.

Three ACCU students were recognized in Indianapolis for their accomplishments.

Morton High School gave a presentation on their graduates, and what career and college they have chosen.

Clark High School gave a presentation on their graduates, and what career and college they have chosen.

Kenwood Elementary School gave a presentation on the "Kids Hope" program, a mentoring program in which they are partnered with Faith Church.

Scott Middle School 6th and 8th grade students excelled and met the goals for the NWA math test. The 7th graders did not meet the goals, and different strategies will be used next year to bring up the numbers.
A Scott Teacher, Angeline Burrows, was recently honored at the White House as an outstanding educator.

No speakers at either Public Expression Session this evening.

Unfinished Business:

The second reading/adoption of the board policy 5840 concerning Criminal Gangs and Criminal Gang activity, and related items, such as discipline, have been tabled to the next meeting, after some wording has been changed. Mrs. Murphy brought up the zero tolerance policy, which treats punishment for possessing a toy gun in school, the same as a real gun brought to school.

Consent Agenda:
Under personnel, Mr. Scott Miller is now the new Principal of the ACC. When he was introduced this evening, he publicly thanked God, and gave God all the glory for this appointment.

Calendar:
The next regular board meetings will be on Monday June 6th and Monday June 20th, both at 41 Williams Street at 5:30pm.

New Business:

Mr. Alan Zlatarich has been appointed to be the SCH representative to the Library board.

My Take:

Congratulations to all the students honored this evening ! The Hess choir gave an outstanding performance this evening, and the soloists were absolutely gifted !
As far as the zero tolerance policy is concerned, there should be no tolerance for any student that takes a REAL gun or other REAL weapon to school. As for the fake guns, this is a touchy subject, but as I see it, the way it stands now, a kid could bring a squirt gun to school, and get expelled. I do think the Principals should have some discretion in these matters, but ultimately, the SCH policy needs to be tweaked so a child would not be expelled or suspended for bringing in a toy gun. It was common when I was a SCH student, to bring a squirt gun into school during the warmer months. If this policy had been in effect at that time, I would have been expelled.

Thank You, Mr. Scott Miller, for making my day ! :D