Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Meeting 6-23-2014
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:44 pm 

Here are the highlights of the meeting:

All board members were present.

Recognition/Presentation:

The 2014 Swede Carlson Scholarships were awarded this evening. One student from each high school was awarded $1,000.

A presentation was made on the BrainWare Safari Software Program, which studies have shown improves cognitive function of students. This system was tried at Maywood School, and was shown to increase students abilities by 12%. Several speakers spoke during this presentation, urging the school board to implement this in the schools. This is an after school program, implemented by several schools across the country. Ms. Murphy questioned the flyer on this program, stating her concerns that the students listed as examples on the flyer should have had a parent waiver due to confidentiality.

Consent Agenda:

2 items were pulled before the vote this evening, sections G and H, regarding contracts with Crane/Reynolds and Mary Michael.
The consent agenda also included the Community Eligibility Program, which was passed this evening. Starting in the Fall, if the SCH application is accepted by the Federal Government, ALL elementary students will be receiving free meals without having to fill out forms, and be determined eligible. This is a Federal Program for school districts with high percentages of free/reduced meal students.Once determined eligible, the SCH would be locked in this program for 4 years before they would have to reapply. But, if they choose to add the middle and high school students, they can apply for them at any time. FTR, several of our elementary schools have close to 100% of the students who are getting free/reduced price meals.

Public Expression 1st Session:

A member of the public urged the school board to implement the BrainWare Safari Program for his son, and for all the students.
Another member of the public asked that the Program also be implemented. She also said there is a consensus among the Teachers that she has talked to, that like this program, but the breakfast in the classroom needs some adjustment. A lot of the younger students need assistance with their meals, and an aid to help the Teachers is needed.

Calender:

Regular board meetings will be on Mondays at 5:30pm at 41 Williams Street July 14th and 31st.

Public Expression 2nd Session:

Several members of the public spoke this evening, all of whom supported the BrainWare Program. 2 speakers suggested that Ms. Murphy's comments about waivers for the flyers were out of order, offensive, and condescending.

My Take:

Congrats to the students who received the scholarships this evening !!!

Several people in attendance this evening were quite upset by Ms. Murphy's remarks. I personally thought her remarks were a bit too much. They were also upset about the attitude of the board in this matter. They wanted action on this. I sincerely hope this is implemented for the students.There should be no fighting, just cooperation for the kids.
As for the free meals for the students, I sure hope that next year the middle and high school students can be included.

I have to toot my own horn a bit here. I informed the School Board about the Community Eligibility Program a couple of months ago. I am glad they have decided to go with it. :D

Post subject: Re: Hammond School Board Meeting 6-23-2014
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:22 am 

Thank you for the information! !!

Post subject: Re: Hammond School Board Meeting 6-23-2014
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:27 am 

busymom2 wrote:
Thank you for the information! !!

No problem !!! :D