Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Ineptitude a contributing cause in 3 deaths?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:14 pm 

Sitting around the campfire, people stopping by have been more charitable, couple cans of beans, some hot chocolate and some new gloves were dropped off to me at my abode under the hohman ave bridge.

Listening to people comment, taking bits of information in, I had to process the death of three children, a father badly burned and other children in this tragic story, who will live with the scars of the sibley street fire for their entire life.

With that being said.... WTF http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-officials-apartment-where-3-kids-died-had-no-utilities-20140109,0,2571947.story?page=1 an article quoted in the Chicago Tribune states:

Quote:
Living conditions in the rental property had been dire for months, Rice said. Hammond city records show the electricity was shut off in March, and gas service a month later. Water service was stopped in October, officials said.

EXCUSE ME, Hammond City Officials knew the electricity was shut off in March, gas service a month later and water service stopped in October!!!! Must be to frigging busy shaking down landlords to do their jobs?

Then lets spend 30 seconds on Real Estate Equity Solutions of Indiana, LLC

Quote:
Per the Indiana Secretary of State, the Corporation was Administratively revoked!
Name Searched On:
REAL ESTATE EQUITY SOLUTIONS (Legal)

Current Information

Entity Legal Name:
EQUITY REAL ESTATE SOLUTIONS, LLC
Entity Fictitious Name:
Entity Address:
100 BEECHMAN DR, PITTSBURGH, PA 15205

General Entity Information:

Control Number: 2003012900693
Entity Type: Foreign Limited Liability Company (LLC)

Entity Creation Date: 1/28/2003
Entity Date to Expire:
Entity Inactive Date: 9/3/2010

Original Creation Date: 3/11/2002
Original Creation State: PA

THE CHICAGO TRIBUNE REPORTED REAL ESTATE EQUITY SOLUTIONS AS THE OWNER OF THIS PROPERTY.

Quote:
[color=#800000]City Attorney Kristina Kantar said. “Obviously, if our inspectors found people living there without water or power or heat, we would not let them stay there.[/size]”

Obviously.... Obviously... WTFThe question is what did Hammond inspectors do after each of the utility services were turned off? Did anyone really knock on a door or did they do a drive by. Tenants up stairs? Watch the late night oil burn adding notes into their reports over the next few days covering their tracks.

Considering the December 6th federal litigation filed by Sonia Moreno-Avalos Vs Hammond and others named in the litigation, a very hard look needs to occur with Hammond's Code Enforcement Department. http://www.northwestindiana.com/discussionforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11488&sid=eee54e28ba91eba9e9f919c8b968ac2e

In Avalos's case, she alleges a code enforcement agent brought someone working in a related department, licensed as a Contractor to her house, and the contractor/city employee, per the plaintiff made a offer to keep code enforcement off Avalos' back if they did her roof, if some one else did the roof, code enforcement might find something else wrong.

Code enforcement with such spare time on their hands....that specific city employee is no longer with the city for some unknown reason, but found a job in Munster's Code Enforcement Department. Such a co-incidence... I wonder who helped that landing and for what reason?

Who's responsible?

A lot of people, neighbors for not notifying Indiana's Protective Child Services, Hammond doing away with their Public Health Department, as they might have been making well baby visits with this family, neighbors for not notifying Code Enforcement, (but then when calls are made to code enforcement, they write up the whole block, don't they? Yes, that is the policy. So why call Code Enforcement if you and your neighbors would get a citation). The political use of code enforcement, a mayor who very well may have stayed on way past his time because he has no other options, and using the department to keep people in line, who runs for Governor, Lt. Governor, US Senate and several private sector jobs......

City Leaders, including past Fire Chief David Hamm, the Current Fire Chief and the Fire Fighters Union, City Council members who instead of being suck puppets making $107,000 a year, should be promoting 4 person staffed fire rigs providing increased success fighting fires.

Hammond is made up of century old housing, balloon construction, old aged wood, they go up in an instant.

And if you want to lay blame about they should have had... there are a lot of should have had's in this story, there are a lot more families in this situation than you might think... a lot more. There is a segment of our population who have exhausted their resources, given up hope finding a fair paying job, but get work at $9.00 an hour at a local big box chain that city officials pound their chest as economic development, economic opportunity.

On the long walk out to the 644 Sibley residence last night, it was a long trek in the weather. I stood in front of the candles, you could smell the reminents of the fire, imagine the confusion, horror that occurred a few nights ago, and I could hear a beeping smoke alarm coming from the back of the house.

Who else do I blame? On the long walk back, I also though, OBVIOUSLY, all those people who don't vote or just vote a straight Democratic ticket. Who put up with the ineptitude, corruption and graft.....it will continue.

[/color]

Maybe the now retired fire official, XMPT, with that cushy county job, might say the same thing about the death of these kids, as he once wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

Again, XMPT is not Opinker, my apologies to Mr. Opinker.

To the deceased children, may the angles carry you on their wings into the heavens for all eternity.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

Last edited by justcallmetommy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Ineptitude a contributing cause in 3 deaths?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:32 pm 

The pictures found on the assessor's web site show this to be a very well kept home on the outside. If I get time I will work at posting that photo.

When the utilities were turned off, someone should have, could have boarded up this house?

Naw, it cost too much money, right Tom?

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

Last edited by justcallmetommy on Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 pm 

I see that the tribune story that JCMT posted a link to has different info from that which Matt posted. Looks like the online info that Matt relied on was inaccurate because it wasn't current.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:19 pm 

JCMT, How do you sleep at night? Your ability to lie and selectively post mistruths to try and paint a picture for your political agenda is sickening.

Your fake indignation is equally sickening and a clear sign of a sociopath. Using the death of 3 kids as a political tool (much like you did your dear insane freetime) is the lowest of lows. If Hammond had better economics you and your slumlord friends wouldn't have anyone to take advantage of, now would you?

You drove Freetime into her brain addled delusions as much as McDermott's minions did. Using her as a tool as she slowly lost her mind. Her blood is on your hands as much as anyone else's

justcallmetommy wrote:
the long walk out to the 644 Sibley residence last night, it was a long trek in the weather. I stood in front of the candles, you could smell the reminents of the fire, imagine the confusion, horror that occurred a few nights ago, and I could hear a beeping smoke alarm coming from the back of the house.

Let's post the actual quotes from your article ........

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-officials-apartment-where-3-kids-died-had-no-utilities-20140109,0,2571947.story?page=1

Quote:
Living conditions in the rental property had been dire for months, Rice said. Hammond city records show the electricity was shut off in March, and gas service a month later. Water service was stopped in October, officials said.

Records indicate the building owners, Real Estate Equity Solutions of Indiana, LLC had not allowed in inspectors and ignored citations and penalties — including a $2,600 fine in August. The city had pursued the landlords in court since May, and they were due in Hammond City Court on Jan. 16, records show.

“We were a week away from getting an order from the court so we could go in,” City Attorney Kristina Kantar said. “Obviously, if our inspectors found people living there without water or power or heat, we would not let them stay there.”

Christian Bartholomew, attorney for Real Estate Equity Solutions, said Thursday that he did not know whether utility services were connected at the house. City records show the property had changed owners in 2012.

“My client was attempting to coordinate an inspection with the city. I know there had been difficulty contacting the tenant living there,” Bartholomew said. “We are still looking at the situation, and we are taking it very seriously.”

Quote:
Firefighters found at least three space heaters inside the house, including a portable propane-powered model. Rice and her boyfriend lived in the unit upstairs and had let the Youngs run an extension cord from their apartment to provide electricity.

Quote:
Officials from Northern Indiana Public Service Co., the gas and electric utility serving Hammond, told the city Andre Young had on two occasions taken electric meters from other houses and used them to reconnect power to the apartment.

You cast blame at many different sources, yet not one word about the slumlord that allowed living conditions to exist at this house and then delayed inspection.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:38 pm 

lubu wrote:
I see that the tribune story that JCMT posted a link to has different info from that which Matt posted. Looks like the online info that Matt relied on was inaccurate because it wasn't current.

Sadly, I am not inaccurate! Equity Trust is the Custodian holder of the property for an IRA for Joseph Wittig.

45-02-36-429-013.000-023 644 SIBLEY ST Equity Trust Company Custodian FBO Joseph Wittig IRA
45-06-01-451-025.000-023 6336 GARFIELD AVE, HAMMOND Equity Trust Company FBO Joseph Wittig IRA #78534
45-06-01-458-007.000-023 6421 VAN BUREN AVE, HAMMOND Equity Trust Company Custodian FBO Joe Wittig IRA
45-07-03-379-023.000-023 3512 163RD ST Equity Trust Company Custodian FBO Joseph L Wittig IRA
45-07-13-177-022.000-003 2326 BURR ST, Gary Equity Trust Company Custodian FBO Joseph Wittig IRA
45-07-25-385-011.000-001 4433 GERRY ST, GARY Equity Trust Company Custodian for Joe Wittig IRA
45-08-05-255-008.000-004 345 CLEVELAND ST, Gary Equity Trust Company Cust and FBO Joseph Wittig IRA
45-08-14-228-029.000-004 2816 CENTRAL DR, GARY Equity Trust Company Custodian F/B/O Joseph L Wittig IRA #78534
45-08-22-381-025.000-004 3670 VIRGINIA ST, GARY Equity Trust Company Custodian for Benefit of Joseph Wittig IRA
45-08-22-407-022.000-004 3469 KENTUCKY ST, Gary Equity Trust Company Custodian FBO Joseph L Wittig IRA 78534
45-08-22-479-008.000-004 1257 E 36TH AVE, GARY Equity Trust Company Custodian for Benefit of Joseph Wittig IRA
45-08-27-177-022.000-004 3966 MARYLAND ST, Gary Equity Trust Company Custodian FBO Joseph L Wittig IRA #78534
45-08-34-476-006.000-004 5149 TENN ST, GARY Equity Trust Company Custodian & FBO Joseph Wittig IRA
45-09-05-301-010.000-004 6516 MILLER AVE, GARY Equity Trust Company FBO Joseph Wittig IRA #78534
45-11-02-152-001.000-006 303 S GRIFFITH BLVD, GRIFFITH Equity Trust Company Custodian for Benefit of Joseph Wittig IRA
45-11-02-152-002.000-006 305 S GRIFFITH BLVD APPROX, GRIFFITH Equity Trust Company Custodian for Benefit of Joseph Wittig IRA

https://www.trustetc.com/

Quote:
Equity Trust is the nation's leading provider of Self-Directed IRAs and 401ks, with over 130,000 clients in all 50 states and approximately $12 billion of retirement plan assets under administration.

Truly Self-Directed IRAs and other retirement plans allow you to create lasting wealth by investing in areas where you have knowledge, expertise, and comfort.

In addition to traditional retirement investments such as stocks and mutual funds, clients at Equity Trust can diversify their retirement plans into assets such as real estate, private placements, notes, deeds of trust, tax liens, foreign currency and much more.

As a passive custodian Equity Trust does not offer investments or investment advice.

Equity Trust, a regulated financial institution, is made up of a staff of experienced professionals who truly care about serving our clients.

We invite you to learn more about Equity Trust and truly Self-Directed IRA investing.

Joseph Wittig is who is responsible for the property .......

https://www.trustetc.com/real-estate-ira/how-it-works

Maintain Your IRA Investment (How Income and Expenses Flow)
All payments/profits related to an investment in your self-directed IRA must be made from your IRA and return to your account. In addition, all expenses related to your investment must be paid from your self-directed IRA.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:19 am 

From the assessor's website "equity trust" is named owner for benefit of a person's IRA with last transfer date in 2004. The tribune story says the property changed ownership in 2012, and that the current owner is Real Estate Equity Solutions of Indiana, a(n) LLC. The 2012 transfer is not reflected on the assessor's site. Maybe Matt has other information that shows that the IRA trust account and the LLC's ultimate beneficiary are the same person?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:33 am 

picture of 644 sibley,
this appears to be a rather nice house from this picture. so as to your comments of a slumlord, so now your taking the sparks view that every landlord is a slum lord.

as to freetime, had you ever talked to her? someone who had been harassed by mcdermott's minions, phone lines cut, lug nuts shot at her house, harassed with late night phone calls, medical information released... and much of that coming from people getting the direct knod from mcdermott, right xmpt?

fact mcdermott, hammond and members of his team are faced with a federal lawsuit, http://www.northwestindiana.com/discussionforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11488&sid=63dd76ca6b76e9c3cea5afda85b363e4 alleging misuse of authority, violation of civil rights and in this case the plaintiff documents her contacts with code enforcement, reporting, in summary, someone who works for the city stating if you have me do your roof, i keep code enforcement off your back, someone else do your roof, they might find something else wrong.

then we have mcdermott's misuse of code, using it as a tool to intimidate. just after the baker announce his intent to run for mayor, didn't one of mcdermott's people in code enforcement go into their business to do an inspection?

that is only one example... as i am short of time, now in my sick mind matt, that sums up hammond's code enforcement.

the house appears recently remodeled, the assessor's picture reveals a pleasant property. many people who own property have problems with someone inspecting their property, many tenants have problems with someone violating their quite enjoyment.

And it appears the fire was caused not by property rented by the landlord, but the condition of not having electricity/gas and using propane, open flame heaters. There are hundreds of homes, occupied with people/families, who do have working utilities in this area. Falling thru the social net fabric... a property with out utilities since spring, per kantar uninhabitable... unfriggin inhabitable.

now the two properties below stand because of years of effective code enforcement practices... McDermott has been mayor now for almost 12 years... no one else to blame right matt so point the finger at me, right...

This two flat has people living in it.

do you really have any first hand experience with being a landlord? having interaction with code and/or kantar...

years ago i had a conversation with someone working in code enforcement, we had a private off the record conversation. the person told me they couldn't wait to leave because of the influences and orders they were given to carry out.

diombala said as much as well.

mcdermott and the people he puts into managements spots are the problem with hammond.

Why not move back into hammond matt.

Last edited by justcallmetommy on Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:57 am 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/official-inspection-might-have-prevented-tragic-hammond-fire/article_e4860fd8-1173-5a36-a6ac-0493e17d2002.html

Quote:
Hammond City Attorney Kristina Kantar said residences must have basic utilities to be considered fit for habitation.

A NIPSCO spokesman Thursday said gas and electricity service was disconnected in the spring because of nonpayment.

Apparently the property was not fit for habitation since SPRING 2012.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:10 am 

lubu wrote:
From the assessor's website "equity trust" is named owner for benefit of a person's IRA with last transfer date in 2004. The tribune story says the property changed ownership in 2012, and that the current owner is Real Estate Equity Solutions of Indiana, a(n) LLC. The 2012 transfer is not reflected on the assessor's site. Maybe Matt has other information that shows that the IRA trust account and the LLC's ultimate beneficiary are the same person?

Mr Wittig has numerous shell companies that he moves his properties around between. Just searching from the addresses that are billed, he has at least 7 different companies sent to his home address in Crown Point. He also has others go to his name at a PO box in Schererville, some go to his name at Caribou Properties in Highland, and still others to Caribou's office at a trailer park they own in Gary.

From the Sun Times ...... http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/24879114-418/hammond-wanted-home-where-3-died-to-be-declared-uninhabitable.html

Quote:
Hammond city attorney Kristina Kantar said code enforcement is required to go inside and take photos to document violations. But getting a search warrant requires notice be given to the listed owner of the home, which was purportedly sold to Joseph Witting of Real Estate Property Solutions of Ind., LLC, in 2012

Quote:
The home had been cited for code violations in 2009 and 2012 as well. Though court records show Hammond City Court sent out various notices to appear starting in May, a filing by Real Estate Property Solutions’ attorney Christian Bartholomew stated the owner had not received notice until Sept. 20 due an unrecorded deed and needed more time to investigate the violations.

So is he a scumbag landlord yet, or is he what you aspire to be if you aren't there already?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:16 am 

matt... really angry are you.... scumbag land lord is that the best you can do? Starting to sound like sparks, or getting your information from the same sources.... how many scheckles of silver do you get for your pre election seasonal contributions here?

Why not move back to hammond Matt, you can pick up any number of houses for $35,000. Put your money where your mouth is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:23 am 

justcallmetommy wrote:
picture of 644 sibley,
this appears to be a rather nice house from this picture. so as to your comments of a slumlord, so now your taking the sparks view that every landlord is a slum lord.

as to freetime, had you ever talked to her? someone who had been harassed by mcdermott's minions, phone lines cut, lug nuts shot at her house, harassed with late night phone calls, medical information released... and much of that coming from people getting the direct knod from mcdermott, right xmpt?

fact mcdermott, hammond and members of his team are faced with a federal lawsuit, alleging misuse of authority, violation of civil rights and in that case she documents her contacts with code enforcement, reporting, in summary, someone who works for the city stating if you have me do your roof, i keep code enforcement off your back, someone else do your roof, they might find something else wrong.

then we have mcdermott's misuse of code, using it as a tool to intimidate. just after the baker announce his intent to run for mayor, didn't one of mcdermott's people in code enforcement go into their business to do an inspection?

that is only one example... as i am short of time, now in my sick mind matt, that sums up hammond's code enforcement.

the house appears recently remodeled, the assessor's picture reveals a pleasant property. many people who own property have problems with someone inspecting their property, many tenants have problems with someone violating their quite enjoyment.

And it appears the fire was caused not by property rented by the landlord, but the condition of not having electricity/gas and using propane, open flame heaters. There are hundreds of homes, occupied with people/families, who do have working utilities in this area. Falling thru the social net fabric... a property with out utilities since spring, per kantar uninhabitable... unfriggin inhabitable.

now the two properties below stand because of years of effective code enforcement practices... McDermott has been mayor now for almost 12 years... no one else to blame right matt so point the finger at me, right...

This two flat has people living in it.

do you really have any first hand experience with being a landlord? having interaction with code and/or kantar...

years ago i had a conversation with someone working in code enforcement, we had a private off the record conversation. the person told me they couldn't wait to leave because of the influences and orders they were given to carry out.

diombala said as much as well.

mcdermott and the people he puts into managements spots are the problem with hammond.

Why not move back into hammond matt.

You know you are rather incoherent so early in the morning? Not that most of what you post makes much sense anyways.

I talked to Marsha on 2 different occasions and both times she was nuttier than a fruitcake. She ramble on and on about everything and made no sense just like on this board. She was hoping Dedelow would run again so he would give her a job. She was already out of her mind in 2007, and I had a discussion with someone from this board a couple of months before the fire and I thought she would be dead of other causes inside a year. Her diabetes had made her delusional and on the verge of dementia.

You then used her as a tool for your gain, just as McDerott's Minions tortured her.

Not all landlords are slumlords, but there are plenty of them in the City of Hammond. This one in particular is one of the worst of the worst. Multiple shell companies, investigations for bankruptcy fraud and illegal homestead exemptions. Links to Kerusso Konstruction and their fraud investigation.

The social net in Hammond was not ruined by McDermott, although he has done not much to fix it. It's been 50 years in the making. Guess what ... Janiec had no plans to fix it either. How did he think he was going to move Hammond forward with the wonderful ideas of a volunteer fire department, turning park maintenance over to volunteers, and letting Lost March go back to a Marsh.

You paint yourself as the opposition when all you are is a political opportunist that has an ax to grind. Your just upset that "your guy" isn't in office and looking the other way.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:25 am 

justcallmetommy wrote:
matt... really angry are you.... scumbag land lord is that the best you can do? Starting to sound like sparks, or getting your information from the same sources.... how many scheckles of silver do you get for your pre election seasonal contributions here?

Why not move back to hammond Matt, you can pick up any number of houses for $35,000. Put your money where your mouth is.

Same sources? You mean the Lake County Assessors database? I am quite good at research as you have seen by now.

I have no use for Hammond or NW Indiana for that matter. I grew up there and have seen first hand how backwards it all is. Hammond is beyond saving at this point. It was at a tipping point about 8 years ago and it it lost. It took many years to get there, but there is no bringing it back.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:46 am 

matt, i have no guy i want as mayor. it is sometimes a choice between lesser evils.

i believe law enforcement outside jr's reach have picked up on a couple of things, with very competent witness, along with a paper trail which points right back to mcdermott.

and Mr. $75,000 in the basement ceiling person has lots to worry about.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:06 am 

Matt's quick online researching has provided some good initial information. The sources and links are helpful too. Some of it irrelevant but other valuable information can be pulled from those stories. City officials have made statements that they knew that utilities were shut off to the unit. City officials have made those statements, I presume, because they have some kind of documented evidence of such. Perhaps the city will say that it was after the event that they learned of the utility shutoff? I don't believe it. We have no evidence that the landlord knew about the utilities. The city is now trying to say "If only the landlord had allowed us to do an interior inspection of the unit, a tragedy would have been averted." But I believe the city already had all it needed to know to mark the house uninhabitable. Invasive inspection was not needed to know about the utilities. NIPSCO routinely coordinates with building officials about service turn ons and offs. Would the city's chief electrical inspector be the contact?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:28 am 

lubu wrote:
Matt's quick online researching has provided some good initial information. The sources and links are helpful too. Some of it irrelevant but other valuable information can be pulled from those stories. City officials have made statements that they knew that utilities were shut off to the unit. City officials have made those statements, I presume, because they have some kind of documented evidence of such. Perhaps the city will say that it was after the event that they learned of the utility shutoff? I don't believe it. We have no evidence that the landlord knew about the utilities. The city is now trying to say "If only the landlord had allowed us to do an interior inspection of the unit, a tragedy would have been averted." But I believe the city already had all it needed to know to mark the house uninhabitable. Invasive inspection was not needed to know about the utilities. NIPSCO routinely coordinates with building officials about service turn ons and offs. Would the city's chief electrical inspector be the contact?

The landlord didn't know about the utilities? You mean he hasn't visited the properties in the last year and noticed that the electrical meter was gone? What kid of F'd up landlord is that?

Don't most landlords have a landlord tenant agreement in place with NIPSCO? Don't most landlords have it in their leases that tenants must keep utilities on as a condition of their lease (where utilities are paid by the tenant)?

I don't know, maybe Mr Wittig just has too many properties, under too many business names, at too many addresses to keep track of all the details.

I have cited 3 different articles that showed that their landlord dodged court over citations.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next