Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Sunday recycling emergency
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:09 am 

There must be Sunday Recycling Dept. emergencies in Hammond which The Times isn't reporting. That is the only reason dept. vehicles should be on the road on Sunday. I hate to think a political hack would be using public resources for personal use.

Post subject: Re: Sunday recycling emergency
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:58 am 

I'll bet there is an odd colored bottle lying in the road without a labeled bin. No one knows where to stash it so that it is processed correctly. Leave this one to the professionals.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:35 pm 

bert68 wrote:
There must be Sunday Recycling Dept. emergencies in Hammond which The Times isn't reporting. That is the only reason dept. vehicles should be on the road on Sunday. I hate to think a political hack would be using public resources for personal use.

But they dont make enough in pay compared to the private sector, hence the taxpayer financed vehicle for personal use. I mean really, who would take such a low paying city job in Hammond, unless they are to cheap and pathetic to afford their own kids college costs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:42 pm 

Sparks will be using public resources for private use when he clips Hammond taxpayers for his daughter's college tuition.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:16 am 

there must be another Recycling Dept. emergency today. Why else would a vehicle be on the road on a Sunday? Certainly it wouldn't be driven for personal use.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:57 pm 

Could you be referring to the second in command of my used bottles and cans? I have seen him on the road in a city vehicle after hours and on the weekend. He must work very hard. And we should all remember that he is a public servant who is out protecting the lives of Hammond residents and the environment of course.. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:56 am 

Do any of you have any idea of the consequences should a colored bottle find its way into the clear bottle recycling bin? Neither do I, but that is why Hammond has trained professionals to handle this sort of thing. Give the guy a break. You don't have to deal with the aftermath of the above scenario. The Oracle does.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:57 pm 

Channel Colonel Jessep from "A Few Good Men"... You snotty little bastards! We live in a world that has recyclables, and those recyclables have to be sorted! Who's gonna do it? You Bert? You LALC? You cannot possibly fathom the responsibility! You curse the sordid sorters but you have the luxury of not needing to know which plastics recycle and which don't! You complain but deep down inside, you want Steev behind the wheel of that take home vehicle! You need him to make that weekend beer run! The recycling dept uses words like honor(e.g. "She a hoe, but even she wont let Steev get up honor."), code(e.g. "It's too code to work outside today."), loyalty(e.g. "I owe my loyalty and my entire family's livelihood to Tom McDermott.") The McDermott administration has neither the time, nor the inclination, to explain it's take home vehicle policy to anyone who questions it! They would rather you just went on your way!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:02 am 

I won't pretend to understand the pressures under which the Oracle or Mrs. Jailman labor every single day of their lives. Plastics, after all, can only be recycled so many times--I can't tell you how many, but the Oracle probably has that information on the tip of his tongue. As for Mrs. Jailman, selling tickets for fundraisers and trying to remember whom a particular assistant vice-department head is supporting for deputy secretary to the adjunct head of county parks must take a terrible toll on one's peace of mind. If I achieve even the most modest degree of success in my life, it is because, like Isaac Newton, I have stood on the shoulders of giants.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:02 pm 

If you throw in the added pressure of all the sucking up that Festival of the Lakes will require it is remarkable Mr. Foreman can keep it together and keep the colored and clear glass separate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:01 pm 

One time I saw the second in command of my used bottles and cans on the weekend in his city truck. He was loading what looked like groceries into the back of the truck. As he put the last case of Pepsi in the back I thought what a waste of my tax dollars him using a city car to shop. But then I thought ....... What would McMayor say. I then realized that he was there to help us all. He was checking the latest grocery packaging and trying to compute what Hammond residents can recycle. He was doing this on his own time and of course he should use a city truck. We all know that the recycling department makes money for the city and they are there to help. I now publicly appoligize for my thoughts of tax money wasted. I realize this is how Hammond works as a great team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:35 pm 

For those who have actually sorted through another man's refuse, for those who are the very tip of the nail at the end of the paper-spearing broomstick, for those who have whiled away many an afternoon and evening under a desk fellating various LC Democratic politicians, a well-ordered stack of discarded newspapers have a beauty and an order the pantywaist contributors to this topic will never know.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:12 pm 

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
Do any of you have any idea of the consequences should a colored bottle find its way into the clear bottle recycling bin? Neither do I, but that is why Hammond has trained professionals to handle this sort of thing. Give the guy a break. You don't have to deal with the aftermath of the above scenario. The Oracle does.

If a colored bottle mixes with clear, does the clear then become colored like what happens when you wash a red shirt with white shirts? I think that would constitute an emergency if it happened, could even lead to someone being committed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:20 am 

Yet another Sunday Recycling Dept. emergency?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:04 pm 

I don't know if you noticed but it snowed today. If someone put out there recycling early and it got wet who knows what might happen. If you saw him today I am sure he was out trying to prevent some toxic situation. We all know he would never abuse a take home car. :shock: