Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat May 11, 2024 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond Fires
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:55 am 

There has been a rash of arson fires in Hammond this year. Mostly, they have occurred when people have set out items like furniture, mattresses, etc, in the alleys. These items have been set on fire, and have caused damage to, or have destroyed neighboring structures and fences. There has also been quite a few garbage can fires. In my neighborhood, in the 400 block alley between Lewis and Waltham, there has been 4 fires since the beginning of this summer. Last night a fire of unknown cause destroyed a house/garage combo in the back of the lot of 435 Lewis. The neighboring garage at 431 Lewis was moderately damaged. I do not know if there was any injuries from this fire. Within a few houses of this address, there has been 3 fires in the time frame mentioned, destroying garages and fences. NONE of these fires have occurred at abandoned properties. ALL of them occurred in occupied residences. Altogether, there has been DOZENS of fires in my neighborhood in the past few years, with this year being the most active.
From what I have been told, these particular fires have been occurring all over the City of Hammond, but it appears that my neighborhood has had a disproportionate number of them. Where is the media coverage on this?

Post subject: Re: Hammond Fires
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:06 pm 

Where is the media coverage? Only if McDemrott opens a topic will it be reported. He has no time to talk about such issues on our taxpayer funded radio show because he's too busy fielding calls from suckups like Phil V. Either that or shamelessly plugging a restaurant that his father is part owner of. On the most recent show, the mayor somehow worked into the conversation a restaurant called "Tommy Bs". He said guests were likely to find the former mayor there, and that his father is open to sharing a glass of wine with friends, old acquaintances, friends of old acquaintances, or even any random old wino. The inappropriate quasi-ad for the restaurant should have been avoided.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:05 pm 

If you go to 435 Lewis and go west, ALL 3 adjoining properties are fire damaged. That's right, 4 properties in a row, 2 of which were definitely arson. Go across the alley from 435 Lewis, the recent fire, and that garage was destroyed by an arson fire 3 weeks ago. Go take a drive through the alley in the 400 block between Lewis and Waltham, and count them up.
We have a real problem here, and there is not a peep from the Times.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:02 am 

Tell us again why you aren't part of the crime watch for your neighborhood? Is it because you are a hater who would rather complain and whine instead of working to improve the community you live in?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:02 am 

Come on now apparently stupid cant or refuses to think for himself. He has to get talking points from someone before he is allowed to post.

CW have turned into a political cheering group from da Fuehrer, but I am sure you knew that right fat boy or are you too stupid to think that far.

Don't answer that fat boy. The next intelligent thing coming out of your mouth just might be another pm offering to meet at a gun range or better yet a meet at the boxing club right.

Please Spunk fest go crawl in the hole that you came out of worm.

When you stop insulting people, I'll stop, fat boy

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:21 am 

sparks wrote:
Tell us again why you aren't part of the crime watch for your neighborhood? Is it because you are a hater who would rather complain and whine instead of working to improve the community you live in?

You are a LIAR !!! I AM a crime watch person for my neighborhood. I may not be on the roster, but when I walk my dog through the neighborhood, I keep my eye out for potential and real problems. I call Chief Miller when necessary. For example, I asked the city workers in the area to please pick up the stack of 6 mattresses laying against a garage on the next block. They were supposed to put it on their list. They never picked it up. I called Chief Miller, and HE had the city pick it up, removing a potential source for another fire in my neighborhood. Many of the fires here have been mattress/furniture or garbage can fires.

What the heck do you do, besides being a bootlicker???

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:34 pm 

Tiger1 wrote:
sparks wrote:

You are a LIAR !!! I AM a crime watch person for my neighborhood. I may not be on the roster, but when I walk my dog through the neighborhood, I keep my eye out for potential and real problems. I call Chief Miller when necessary. For example, I asked the city workers in the area to please pick up the stack of 6 mattresses laying against a garage on the next block. They were supposed to put it on their list. They never picked it up. I called Chief Miller, and HE had the city pick it up, removing a potential source for another fire in my neighborhood. Many of the fires here have been mattress/furniture or garbage can fires.

There is a big difference between "keeping your eye out for problems" and being a member of your local crime watch group, attending the meetings and handing out flyers to engage your neighbors. I doubt you even know the name of the group that covers your neighborhood. It's much easier for you to be a hater who complains "the papers" aren't reporting fires than to be a leader who cares about their community and works with others to improve your neighborhood. Gary is filled with people like you

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:06 pm 

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
sparks wrote:

There is a big difference between "keeping your eye out for problems" and being a member of your local crime watch group, attending the meetings and handing out flyers to engage your neighbors. I doubt you even know the name of the group that covers your neighborhood. It's much easier for you to be a hater who complains "the papers" aren't reporting fires than to be a leader who cares about their community and works with others to improve your neighborhood. Gary is filled with people like you

Wow. You really are a d***** Dave. Does having your name on a list somehow make one a more valuable asset to fighting crime???? I fail to see how you being hired or Fowler being promoted should in any way instill confidence in Hammond moving forward in any positive manner. I'm less confident of Hammond moving forward now then when Tom was first elected.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:17 pm 

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
sparks wrote:

I know the meeting times, and the contact person for the Harrison Park Crime watch. I talk to the contact person. She is one of my neighbors. I do not have to be on a list to be a watcher for my neighborhood. I am proactive and talk to the neighbors.I have known several of them for most of my life, as I went to school with them, or with one of their siblings. If there is a problem, I pass it on to the correct department. BTW, the Irving Crime Watch in North Hammond was founded by me over 20 years ago, when I lived up on Pine Street.
What have you done except shoot your mouth off continually on this board, and act like a big shot? Yeah, crickets. You have seen me quite a few times in person, but you got an empty sack when it comes to spewing your crap to someones face, don't you?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:21 pm 

What the heck do you do, besides being a bootlicker???[/quote]
There is a big difference between "keeping your eye out for problems" and being a member of your local crime watch group, attending the meetings and handing out flyers to engage your neighbors. I doubt you even know the name of the group that covers your neighborhood. It's much easier for you to be a hater who complains "the papers" aren't reporting fires than to be a leader who cares about their community and works with others to improve your neighborhood. Gary is filled with people like you[/quote]

Wow. You really are a d***** Dave. Does having your name on a list somehow make one a more valuable asset to fighting crime???? I fail to see how you being hired or Fowler being promoted should in any way instill confidence in Hammond moving forward in any positive manner. I'm less confident of Hammond moving forward now then when Tom was first elected.[/quote]

Don't you know, Hammond would be a better place if there were more boot lickers(extreme sarcasm).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:54 am 

sparks wrote:
There is a big difference between "keeping your eye out for problems" and being a member of your local crime watch group, attending the meetings and handing out flyers to engage your neighbors. I doubt you even know the name of the group that covers your neighborhood.

Are all Hammond residents so thick and unmotivated that they need some Democratic flack to lead them around by the nose? "Attending meeting and handing out flyers to engage your neighbors"? You think people actually read that crap? The populace of your city is little more than 75,000 helpless meat tubes that sit around waiting to be told what to do by illiterates like The Pustule of the Region. No wonder the opening of a fast food place is considered job creation in Hammond.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:18 am 

Got to laugh, keeping your eye out for problems....

seems to be working quite well in Hammond. You can see how well it works for Hammond city employee's inspected the above property & who approved nearly $70,000 of HUD money spent on this project!

Tom seems to have the corner pegged assuring people who call into the police for assistance, get brought into City Court for having problem-ed properties should they call the police too much.

A gas station plagued by its location and the severe drug and prostitution problems, emanating from a neighborhood, called police a number of times for assistance. In fact the house behind the property was a major source of drug problems, the city was advised. And the purchase was part of a mortgage scam.

Now the rationale for closing the business didn't make sense at the time.... a business calling police to protect its customers too many times and the business is at fault?

Now comes the rest of the story. As one of Tom's financial supporters is going to build a gas station, needed the property the gas station was on to avoid competition and expand the station, so key city employee's put the full court press on the business, stating their excessive calls for police services, because of the community around it, the station was forced to close.

Be Careful Spickle face, if you fail to make sure Hammond's Crime Watches are a means to promote Tom's agenda on a micro basis.

And lets not mention Tom's forgotten campaign promise to increase Police staffing, that over $850,000 was spent on police overtime..... and so not to draw ire by review of the few blessed members who got the majority of overtime, Tom sorta forgot to record whom benefited from that $850,000, violating a Federal Law requiring tracking.

So keeping your eye out for problems can be bad for your continued property ownership.

Spickleface, I am surprised you didn't put on a suite of bravado and brag about strapping your big pistol on your side.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:16 pm 

justcallmetommy wrote:
Got to laugh, keeping your eye out for problems....

seems to be working quite well in Hammond. You can see how well it works for Hammond city employee's inspected the above property & who approved nearly $70,000 of HUD money spent on this project!

Tom seems to have the corner pegged assuring people who call into the police for assistance, get brought into City Court for having problem-ed properties should they call the police too much.

A gas station plagued by its location and the severe drug and prostitution problems, emanating from a neighborhood, called police a number of times for assistance. In fact the house behind the property was a major source of drug problems, the city was advised. And the purchase was part of a mortgage scam.

Now the rationale for closing the business didn't make sense at the time.... a business calling police to protect its customers too many times and the business is at fault?

Now comes the rest of the story. As one of Tom's financial supporters is going to build a gas station, needed the property the gas station was on to avoid competition and expand the station, so key city employee's put the full court press on the business, stating their excessive calls for police services, because of the community around it, the station was forced to close.

Be Careful Spickle face, if you fail to make sure Hammond's Crime Watches are a means to promote Tom's agenda on a micro basis.

And lets not mention Tom's forgotten campaign promise to increase Police staffing, that over $850,000 was spent on police overtime..... and so not to draw ire by review of the few blessed members who got the majority of overtime, Tom sorta forgot to record whom benefited from that $850,000, violating a Federal Law requiring tracking.

So keeping your eye out for problems can be bad for your continued property ownership.

Spickleface, I am surprised you didn't put on a suite of bravado and brag about strapping your big pistol on your side.

JCMT, you hit the nail on the head !!! :smt023