Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: WJOB is Moving !
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:27 pm 

WJOB Radio Station is moving down the street to a building at 7116 Indianapolis. They will be leasing a portion of the building, and will be putting $250,000 into upgrades. nwitimes.com

Post subject: Re: WJOB is Moving !
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:58 pm 

Quote:
Jim Dedelow, who manages WJOB day-to-day operations while also hosting the weekday morning drive program, said the partnership will help WJOB build on its reputation as one of the most high-tech radio stations in America.

What the hell has Jim been smoking? WJOB is stuck in the 1940's of radio technology ............

http://jedtv.smugmug.com/2013/Studio-2013-February/i-pJvbwqp

Technology at it's finest!!!!!!!!!

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:00 am 

Isn't that the Tom McDermott campaign headquarters and now the Purdue owned building via Kaplan (sold for was it $700,000 to Kaplan and with in 30 days sold again to Purdue for $1,000,000)?

Isn't Hammond Tax payers putting in $3,000,000 into the structure, after Purdue balked on rehabbing it?

Had a friend of mine visit from outside the region (small quarters in the box under the Hohman Ave bridge) stated to me, it seems like the same 10 callers, stale, old and boring is what they said about wjed.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:57 pm 

justcallmetommy wrote:
Isn't that the Tom McDermott campaign headquarters and now the Purdue owned building via Kaplan (sold for was it $700,000 to Kaplan and with in 30 days sold again to Purdue for $1,000,000)?

Isn't Hammond Tax payers putting in $3,000,000 into the structure, after Purdue balked on rehabbing it?

Had a friend of mine visit from outside the region (small quarters in the box under the Hohman Ave bridge) stated to me, it seems like the same 10 callers, stale, old and boring is what they said about wjed.

JCMT, I looked on the assessors site, and I couldn't find it. I do believe this is the same building.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:11 pm 

Something just had to be done in this case. Tom was always running late getting to the studio. The commute was just way too long. JED had to do something to make it easier for Tom to roll out of bed and hop a couple intersections over. What are the property tax implications of a for profit business in a not for profit space?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:09 pm 

lubu wrote:
Something just had to be done in this case. Tom was always running late getting to the studio. The commute was just way too long. JED had to do something to make it easier for Tom to roll out of bed and hop a couple intersections over. What are the property tax implications of a for profit business in a not for profit space?

Lu, the last time Tom was on air, he talked about the traffic jam on I80, coming from home, looking at it in his rear view mirror... at least that is what I thought :smt002 I heard him say. Really, from home on I 80?

But you've raised some interesting thoughts. While talking to some of the homeless people I associate with, here under the Hohman ave bridge. We philosophize a lot, about everything under the sun, and then some. Up came Tom, WJED, and Purdue. Their opinions are as follows.

Apparently the impression is Tom works at having a good relationship with WJED, cause as they use to say, you can't buy enough ink and paper to compete. We all agreed, and wish it was the same for news print, but the almighty $$$ in news print adds sorta controls that market place.

One of the weary said, WJED is an inexpensive medium to get your message, out, unfortunately, live on air comments don't have a pull back on them. Tom was stopped last summer and asked to visit with the FBI because of some of those on air comments.

One thing I just don't understand, as I presented this to the boys, seems like JED gives Tom a pass, fluff questions, accolades , no discussion about budget, or State Board of Account Reports, but JED does seem to skewer Gary & Freeman. Then one of the boys said well you know why don't you?

I answered, it it because Freeman is an easy target, and Tom has as much exposure?

No, one of the more distinguished gentleman said, while sipping on a well used, crinkled brown paper bag, wrapped around a bottle of cheap port, sipping as if the bottle contained a $100 glass of B & B.

Well, this professorially appearing homeless man continued, well the whole WJED, Kaplan, $600,000 or $700,000 purchase that was flipped in 30 days, selling a $1,000,000 building to Purdue, makiing Mr. Firecracker a cool $300,000 to $400,000 was part of the plan.

Now I asked what plan?

Mr. Homeless man said, well I listen religiously on my transistor radio. WJED for a while seemed like he was getting tired of how McDermott wasn't spending enough money on the station...Wjed shot back with, sorta mentioning some things on air, that might have cost Tom an election, or worse becoming a roomie with Bobby.

I responded, yea, I remember that. I thought WJED was growing some.

Well the professor continued, that wasn't the case. The professor said, He would bet, the next several cigarette buts he finds outside the downtown coffee shop, that a backroom deal was cut.

Really I responded? Really?

The professor was very precise in his prose.... yes, when Purdue purchased the property, the deal was already cut to have WJED move in and rehabbed, but Purdue didn't know. It was supposed to be a research incubator. Purdue was planning on putting up $1,000,000 for rehab, when the plan was presented, they backed out!

Why I asked?

The professor continued, now that would have put a crimp in WJED, as the plan all along was for WJED to move into the site and Purdue didn't want to have what might appear to be a conflict, a non for profit, housing a for profit corporation, paying $1,000,000 in build out money, to help what was to be an research incubator. WJED didn't have the money to build out the building.

The professor scoffed, So when Purdue backed out, WJED finally did grow some, flex his muscle, maybe yelling at Tom, like he did with the Cal Riplin little league incident, saying to Tom, well you got to pay to play, as our rates will be going up and if you don't do more, you ain't going to see Mr. Nice Guy. That is when young Tom, now old Tom said he would contribute $3,000,000 of Hammond Taxpayers money to the build out of the research incubator. How much positive media would this buy now old man Tom, the Professor asked?

The professor then offered, with out blinking an eye, $3,000,000 friend to build out an overpriced building, maybe worth $600,000? It is all slight of hand, 3 card Monti he said, and the public, ain't smart enough to smell the roses. It was a well groomed shell game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yP-OvorryAU

Now listening intently, I asked the professor, how he put this together? He simply said, no one pays attention to us homeless people, you can sit right next to them and they talk.

Hmmmm.

I wonder what else the professor heard?

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:13 pm 

PHEW! I thought that would never end...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:02 am 

What about the glistening Downtown Hammond Technology Incubator? Is WDEM-1230 moving so another ambitiously named yet destined to fail scheme doesn't stand empty for years?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:10 am 

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
What about the glistening Downtown Hammond Technology Incubator? Is WDEM-1230 moving so another ambitiously named yet destined to fail scheme doesn't stand empty for years?

Yes, what about the Technology Incubator?

What could be soooooooo bad that Purdue pulled out of it and then planned to open a business incubator of their own in Hammond?

Makes you kind of wonder .........

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:38 am 

Tiger1 wrote:
WJOB Radio Station is moving down the street to a building at 7116 Indianapolis. They will be leasing a portion of the building, and will be putting $250,000 into upgrades. nwitimes.com

Yuppers. From a big picture perspective there are also some nifty tax deductions for those improvements, in addition to the deductions for lease payments and relief from property tax burdens (for argument sake, I'm assuming WJOB owns the property location of station and will sell it.). LOL. I recall JED grousing on-air about tax breaks and other government subsidies given to start-ups. Though not a start-up, this move might be deemed an equivalent under state code and so enable/qualify JOB to reap state subsidization thru Purdue, in addition to tits new tax breaks.

As observed below, like most universities, Purdue itself relies on a good bit of government largesse to fund its budget. Consider the budget proposed for 2013-2015:

Purdue News, August 23, 2012
Purdue prepares funding request for state

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The Finance Committee of the Purdue Board of Trustees on Thursday (Aug. 23) approved the university's 2013-15 legislative request for operating appropriations and line item requests to support several university programs and initiatives.

The request is based on instructions issued by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education and the State Budget Agency and is tied to performance metrics - primarily related to student success and cost reduction - established by the Indiana Commission for Higher Education. Under the ICHE plan, a pool of funds would be created by reducing institutions' operating appropriations - 6 percent for 2013-14 and an additional 1 percent for 2014-15 – and then reallocating those funds based on performance.

Based on the performance metric values as defined by ICHE, Purdue is requesting $313.4 million in operating appropriations system-wide, up $1.1 million, a 0.3 percent increase over the 2012 fiscal year appropriation level. Purdue West Lafayette's performance made it eligible to receive more than what would be withheld from its operating appropriations...

As noted by Time magazine last June, Purdue's state funding has fallen from a peak of $262 million in 2008-09 to $233.9 million for the just-completed school year.

Still, Purdue is asking the state to continue funding for programs and initiatives Purdue oversees for Indiana. These line item appropriations include:

Technical Assistance Program (TAP): TAP advances Indiana's economy and the health and quality of life of its residents. TAP supports performance improvement in Indiana companies, health-care providers and governmental units through various programs and services that utilize faculty, students and staff in nine statewide offices. Since 1986 TAP has had more than a $1 billion impact on Indiana. Funding request: $4.5 million, up $2.6 million. Almost all of the increase would be used to create an Office of High Performance Government, which would provide technical support to local governments to help them streamline operations. This is in response to the 2007 Kernan-Shepard "Streamlining Local Government" report.

Agricultural Research and Extension (Crossroads): This supports applied research and education for problems and emerging issues specific to Indiana agriculture. These funds are leveraged by federal and competitive funds at the rate of $8 for every $1 of state funding. The funding supports the state's Plant and Pest Diagnostic Laboratory and Purdue Agricultural Centers across the state, providing venues for site-specific research and Extension education programs. Funding request: $10.23 million, an increase of $3 million to support investments in Indiana plant and animal agriculture and rural entrepreneurship. The state investment has not increased since 1998.

County Extension Educators: Working in every county in the state, they provide unbiased research-based knowledge to Hoosiers. Funding request: $7.6 million, up $400,000 to cover inflation.

Statewide Technology: The Purdue College of Technology's statewide education delivery system is a partnership among regional/community education, industry and government. The program meets Indiana's need for trained technologists and technicians; provides the means for workers to update their education while still on the job; and offers degree options for recent high school graduates who can't attend the West Lafayette or regional campuses. Funding requested: $7.1 million, up $700,000. A portion of the increase would be non-recurring and would establish regional engagement hubs; transfer scholarships for Ivy Tech students; and science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) experiences in K-12 classrooms.

Center for Paralysis Research: Based in the College of Veterinary Medicine, the center focuses on research into traumatic neurological injury and subsequent treatment. Funding request: $544,217, up $21,659 to cover inflation.

Indiana Next Generation Manufacturing Competitiveness Center: Based on a partnership among Purdue, Ivy Tech Community College and Vincennes University, the new center would attract, retain and grow the state's high-value manufacturing industries. In collaboration with the state, Indiana companies, and small- and medium-sized manufacturers, the center would provide access to state-of-the art knowledge and practices in manufacturing processes, metrology, materials, systems and information sciences. The university is requesting $10 million to establish this center.

In addition, the university is asking that the state continue its support for research, based on a formula that would be developed by the commission. The state's investment in the previous biennium was $6.1 million, helping make Purdue more competitive for sponsored research grants. The funding helps Purdue provide startup packages to attract top researchers and covers costs related to laboratories, fellowships and postdoctoral researchers, and related system or staff infrastructure. Purdue has doubled its annual research expenditures to $600 million since 2006-07. At the same time, new sponsored program awards totaled $420 million for 2010-11 - most of them research-related.

The appropriation request also includes $44.3 million for debt service, an increase of $12.5 million. Also known as fee replacement, debt service represents funds replaced by the state when student fees are pledged against university debt service costs associated with certain academic facilities. The university also requests $18.5 million to help with the repair and rehabilitation of buildings, laboratories and classrooms.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:41 am 

Neo, I've read your post several times....

I dont see a connect where someone sells a $600,000 building for $700,000 and in 30 days turns the building for $1million?

It appears, somewhere in the sale may be a problem. A building just doesn't jump in value $300,000 to $400,000 in 30 days. Oh, maybe because a Public funded institution, used tax payers money to fund the purchase? I believe all the improvements done on the property were completed prior to the first transaction. So how did it increase its value in 30 days by $300,000 to 400,000? Did someone have a faulty appraisal?

Was it because the building otherwise would have never sold for $1,000,000? Was it because the only, market for this property was an exploited Public institution or exploited state and federal tax payers? Something seems to smells. This just might be a question for Mr. Capp.

Then to have Hammond step into the process and give $3,000,000 away to rehab the property, because Purdue withdrew their $1,000,000 in building rehab? WTF

Then, from other sources, if it is true McDermott paid only $1,000 in rent for his campaign headquaters for the several months he was in it, might Tom just have some problems? Sweet!

Not sure how WJED fits in to Purdue's economic development program you've quoted.

At least in my opinion, McDermott just gave WJED 3,000,000 reasons why they would want to play patty cake Tom.

Some might say, WJED sold out just like the Times, but may believed they sold out long before this deal was announced.

Doesn't this sound like another take on the Miller grocery store deal that sent a couple of politicians to jail?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:04 am 

Quote:
http://indianaeconomicdigest.com/main.asp?FromHome=1&TypeID=1&ArticleID=71904&SectionID=31&SubSectionID=217
November 1, 2013

10/31/2013 5:52:00 PM
Northwest Indiana ethics commission seeks new members, more revenue

Carrie Napoleon, Post-Tribune Correspondent

Current members include Crown Point, Schererville, Munster, Dyer, East Chicago, Whiting and Highland, and most recently Lowell, Hobart and the LaPorte County. Members pay an enrollment fee of $500 to $5,000 over two years depending on the number of people employed by each entity. Annual membership ranges from $125 for members with less than 50 employees up to $1,500 for members with more than 150 employees.

© Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC

Conspicuously missing in this article, is a mention of Hammond. The other day WJED picked on Gary & Freeman with regard to some findings on their State Board of Account Reports. Apparently JED won't read Hammond's audits. They are as problematic, even more problematic than Gary's.

Did Someone say $3,000,000?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:13 am 

JCMT - You might be right. my post re JED's move is speculative. Just thinking out loud.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:36 pm 

Hell, I didn't write it, but it is interesting fodder found on Buzz's blog.

Quote:
http://bluecountyredstate.blogspot.com/

More on McDermott Campaign Headquarters sleaziness
From a commenter:

I looked over the sales disclosure documents you linked to. It states: satisfaction of contract. This would indicate a prior sale, maybe years earlier, and then the final payment which enabled the payoff of the contract. The bigger problem is the sale was clearly a fix between Purdue and Kaplan. If GK actually ever paid, or agreed to pay 700K, it was at a time when the market was much better. In today's market, and considering the building's condition, the building was not worth anywhere near the PUC purchase price.

Okay, the highlighted item makes sense. Maybe Kaplan was under contract for the building in 2011, when McDermott paid him $1000 to use the building as his headquarters. That's why there was no payment to the Coroner who went to jail.

Of course, paying $1000 to rent a building worth $700,000 is an issue. At the very least, McDermott needs to show a contribution in kind from Kaplan for the full market value of rent over the time period that his campaign occupied the building. That's a campaign finance violation, don't you think? What should rent have been? $2000 a month? Something like that?

I still think the assesment is an issue. Why would Kaplan pay $700k for something that is only assessed at $500k. Assessments aren't that far off, as Dave "Heinie" Hein (aka "Sparks") asserts. You're telling me that commercial assessments in North Township are systematically low by 40%? That in itself is a scandal, if true. Of course, Heinie would know, wouldn't he?

Moreover, shouldn't Purdue have done an appraisal before they bought it? Wouldn't they have known that Kaplan just paid $700,000 for the property?

Hell, I am sure Kaplan did everything legal, with I's crossed and T's dotted or is it the other way around?

The jump from $700,000 to $1,000,000 in this market for a building that may be worth $650,000 to $700,000? As I wrote earlier who cares, it is just State and Federal Tax dollars at use.

Maybe my man Mitch might be able to explain this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:56 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8d3SqtPVlg

Partially related to that link's rail scene, Visclosky is making a scene railing about the "need" for extending South Shore rail service. Again! He argued before the Highland Chamber of Commerce that service extention is needed to keep young people from moving out of the area. Quoting a Times story..."Visclosky said people have suggested to him that if South Shore expansion happens people will leave Hammond, Gary and East Chicago.

“I’ve been very blunt,” Visclosky said. “They left.”
The spoils of one party rule have left nothing unspoiled. It's his party and Visclosky admits it. And the "Fat Lady" is only tuning up.