Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Saliga working for the city?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:24 am 

So.....

The story is that Matt Saliga (former Republican Mayoral candidate and apparent sore loser) is working for the inspections department.

I guess being critical of the Mayor for patronage jobs can be quickly forgotten when you lose the election, quit your party, and need a job.

Do we have a new Fowler'esque Mayor's lackey?

I also heard that Kim Poland was hoping for a job when she lost the election, quit the Republican Party and joined the Democrats. Anyone know who's desk she is at (or under?)?

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Post subject: Re: Saliga working for the city?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:50 pm 

Is Kim a Democrat now or is that something you just "heard"?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:55 pm 

I don't know but I heard the same about KP. It's hard to fight the Democrat herd thing in north Lake County. As for Saligas, youl'll find his name here...

http://www.gohammond.com/web/codeenforcement.phtml

I know his name has no "s" at the end. I added it for kicks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:02 am 

So Matt S. got a standing ovation and a job from the Democrats? He really was a "moderate Republican" after all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:43 am 

bert68 wrote:
Is Kim a Democrat now or is that something you just "heard"?

This was the article about her stepping down as Hammond Republican Chairwoman ...

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/hammond-gop-chair-to-step-down-feb/article_b51fa21a-8bdd-5a71-9efb-728c3aa6a3e7.html

Quote:
HAMMOND | Former Fourth District Councilwoman Kimberly Poland is stepping down as chairwoman of the Hammond Republican Party, effective Feb. 1.

Poland said she is leaving her options open regarding political affiliation and aspirations.

"It's difficult being the underdog in a primarily Democrat city," she said. "It was a daunting task, to say the least."

Lake County Republican Chairwoman Kim Krull appointed Poland to the position about two years ago to replace Robert Pastore.

"I was lucky to get to do it, but I feel I'm done with that aspect of my life with the Republican party," Poland said. "I think I did make it better than what it was. We are such a small group. We have a good team in place right now."

Poland's City Council term ended at the close of 2011 after voters supported her Democratic challenger, Bill Emerson, in the November general election. Now, Poland said she needs to focus on finding a career.

Krull said Poland has done a great job but understands she needs to step back.

"She really put together a great team of people in leadership positions," Krull said.

Poland found candidates to run in elections, located qualified poll workers for Election Day, organized a debate and more, Krull said.

"Kim stepped up a couple years ago when the organization was a mess," Krull said.

Krull said she hopes whoever takes over the position will build on what Poland has accomplished.

Lake County GOP Vice Chairman George Janiec said it's too soon to name contenders.

"We've got a couple people we've identified who we think will do very well," he said. "Kim Krull makes the final decision to accept the resignation and appoint a new city chair."

Janiec said Poland's resignation doesn't come as a surprise.

"When she accepted the assignment it was only on a temporary basis anyway," he said.

Poland pumped new energy into the party, he said.

"Under Kim Poland's leadership, the Republican party in Hammond has reorganized and re-energized itself," Janiec said.

Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr., who also serves as chairman of the Lake County Democrats, said Poland did a good job as councilwoman and would love for her to become a Democrat.

"I would welcome her in the party with open arms," McDermott said. "I think it's something she should consider."

I have been told by others that she has joined the Democratic Party, and that she has been actively seeking city or county employment since the beginning of the year.

So you can take that at face value if you want ...... or you are welcome to give any other information you have heard.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:24 am 

interesting thread. LOL. to say the least. Still, as to code enforcement and the hiring of Saliga, there are worse things. Maybe Saliga has seen the light like, say, John Rooda did. A more more staunch Republican you couldn't find, yet he received little support from the GOP? Why? Because Rooda had a brain and did things his way. After appeals to Indianapolis were met with meager response, he finally leaped to the Dems. The GOP loss is Dem's gain.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:08 pm 

lubu wrote:
I don't know but I heard the same about KP. It's hard to fight the Democrat herd thing in north Lake County. As for Saligas, youl'll find his name here...

There are 6 Inspectors? One for each district? Do each of them get a city take home car?

And the city looks like crap still ....?????

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:33 pm 

mattlap wrote:
lubu wrote:

There are 6 Inspectors? One for each district? Do each of them get a city take home car?

And the city looks like crap still ....?????

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 38c54.html

The city has never looked better.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:27 pm 

Wow. Two more Hammond never-weres so bereft of marketable skills that immediately upon experiencing failure they seek out a niche in public employment. I'm sure that a housewife and a teacher will bring all sorts of insight to their new municipal positions.

I thought teachers were in it for the kids. That's what they always tell us. Then this guy takes the first patronage hack job that surfaces. And then there's Moms! Every year, doesn't some idiot sit down and calculate how much a Mom should be paid based on her multiple jobs as CEO of a household, chauffeur, cook, banker, seamstress, child psychologist, and all of that other bilge? It comes out to some ridiculously high figure that none of them can remotely approach in the real world. Shouldn't Ms. Poland have been courted by all of those companies knocking down doors to come to Hammond courtesy of the McDermott Miracle?

You Reege-tards and Ree-jects and NWIdiots and Untermenschen are all hopeless.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:03 pm 

mattlap wrote:
So.....

The story is that Matt Saliga (former Republican Mayoral candidate and apparent sore loser) is working for the inspections department.

I guess being critical of the Mayor for patronage jobs can be quickly forgotten when you lose the election, quit your party, and need a job.

I also heard that Kim Poland was hoping for a job when she lost the election, quit the Republican Party and joined the Democrats. Anyone know who's desk she is at (or under?)?

Seems I remember romors about mattlap enquiring about employment during his failed run for council. How soon they forget.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:35 pm 

xmpt wrote:
mattlap wrote:
So.....

Seems I remember romors about mattlap enquiring about employment during his failed run for council. How soon they forget.

Nope .. .never asked for a city job .... never inquired about one ... not the entire time I was unemployed.

JCMT accused me of wanting to get hired by the city. I told him the only job I would ever be interested in was Marketing Director the Lost Marsh Golf Course, because I felt my skills would be useful and I could turn it around. NO discussions ever went beyond me mentioning it on the board.

Now ... When Matt Saliga was running for Mayor, he did offer me the possibility of a city job if I helped his campaign. I had some discussions with him about economic development and what he could do to lure business here. During those discussions I did tell him that I would be interested in creating a business development / business liason position if he won. Again ....obviously he did not and it never went beyond that.

The difference here would be that I was qualified for either position, and he has no qualifications to be an inspector. Tell me how a history teacher / baseball coach is qualified to be a code inspector?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:43 am 

....and while you are at it, maybe you can explain what the borderline illiterate Steve Fowler brings to the table as a supervisor in the recycling department and why so many Woerpels seem well-suited to municipal employment.

I will spot you the fact that unlike Michelle Fajman (who enjoyed mayoral support and probably your vote), none of them are likely an absentee landlords with multiple illegal homestead exemptions. Now it's all you.

Go....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:26 am 

So you didn't ask for a job you asked to create one. Hmm now I get it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:32 am 

xmpt wrote:

I don't know that you do get it.

Matt Saliga came to me originally and asked me to be a policy advisor on economic issues. I told him I would give him some advice but had huge misgivings about being involved with the Republican Party at any level.

During our conversations I suggested that while campaigning he needed to get out and get involved in the business community and find out their needs and what would make business thrive in Hammond. I also suggested that that was something the Mayor should be doing currently and something that he should consider if he won as Mayor. During that conversation I suggested I would be interested if that position ever came to be, and it is something I could use my skills and talents in.

It is no different than things I have suggested here in this very forum about how Hammond could cultivate a business community and draw business from other areas.

I don't need to win you over .... but it is far different than Saliga endorsing the Mayor after being a sore loser in the Primary and then suddenly getting a city job that he is not qualified for.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:17 pm 

xmpt wrote:

Do you really want to get down and dirty regarding every unqualified political hack who that f*****g idiot McDermott has either hired or promoted in the last almost 9 years? And I mean get down and dirty! Let's get down to brass tacks on that issue.