Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Has Mayor Tom made Hammond the Laughing Stock of:
Lake County 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Northwest Indiana 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Indiana 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Nation 78%  78%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 9
 Post subject: Infamous Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr Quotes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:53 am 

I want to do all I can to help Mayor Tom and I thought I would start a running topic of infamous McDermott Quotes. All are welcome to add to this thread.

Quote:
Statue of Liberty takes vacation in NW Indiana

nwi.com — A 130-foot hard foam replica of Lady Liberty is planned for Hammond, Indiana. "I have a feeling that this is going to be something that Hammond will be known for for a long time," Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr. says.

As I understand that statue of liberty is in a ware house, paid for by the hammond tax payers.

Last edited by hammonite on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Infamous Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr Quotes
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:01 am 

Regarding Manuel Montalvo Chicago South Shore incident, Lake County Democratic Party Chairman and Hammond Mayor

Quote:
Thomas McDermott Jr. Stating: "I'm in a difficult spot because I am not in a direct-authority situation, Let me put it this way: If he were an employee of mine, I would fire him."

This brings me to remember the heated conversation with Sheriff Roy Dominguez after the arrest of the Woerpel Clan. A very heated exchange, some would say having a threatening tone from McDermott supporting McDermott's political capo.

Funny thing is Montalvo is Hispanic, and the Woerpels are Caucasian. Racist position? Some may say so. Draw your own conclusion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:04 am 

Comments found in the Times

Quote:

McDermott's rant undermined any possible run for governor

Posted: Monday, November 30, 2009 12:00 am |

Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr.'s actions following the arrest of the Woerpels is unfathomable. As an attorney, he is an officer of the court. How then, can he take the position that six little marijuana plants are not serious enough to justify an arrest? How many are necessary for arrest, Mr. Mayor? Moreover, in case the mayor isn't knowledgeable about agriculture, I'll inform him that six little plants grow into six large plants.

McDermott's ire is aimed a the wrong people. Rather than being angry at the sheriff and prosecutor, he should be chastising the Woerpels for embarrassing his administration. Instead, he defends them and has his fire chief post bail.

His justification of the Woerpels conduct should not, and will not, sit well with voters. He has undermined any possible run for governor.

- Mary Dunning, Hammond

Nice commentary regarding Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr.

Last edited by hammonite on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:12 am 

Exerpts from a Hammond Times Story

Referencing Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr:

The mayor's message to the sheriff stated: "As you probably know ... I'm sure you do know that Dave Woerpel was arrested, his wife was arrested, his two sons were arrested. They were swept up, because there was five tiny pot plants growing in their backyard. ... Nonetheless, they were swept up in a warrant. Tina was arrested in front of her employees in the (city) recycling center. You would think they were growing pounds and pounds of marijuana in the backyard, [color=#400000]but it turns out they were growing five small, little plants, which leads me to believe that somebody is playing politics, and it's got to be either you or (Lake County Police Chief) Marco (Kuyachich) or (Lake County Prosecutor) Bernie (Carter). So I'm calling all three of you, and I'm going to let you know that I'm definitely getting involved in the sheriff's race, and I'm pissed off. Roy, this is completely, completely uncalled for. Dave Woerpel is the captain of the 5th District, captain in the city of Hammond ... very, very powerful, very, very political, and you guys arrested him and he had nothing to do with it. Nothing. Roy, that's the dirtiest trick I've ever seen. Have a nice day."[/color]

Mayor Thomas McDermott Continues:

"I'm not excusing the conduct of Dave Woerpel at all or his family. Obviously, there was marijuana in his backyard. But I've practiced law for years, and I've seen a lot of cases like this. And this one is unique.

"Typically, it isn't the family that gets arrested. What they would do is narrow it down and find out whose responsibility this was and then arrest that person. I felt it could have been handled a lot better. I think time will prove I'm speaking the truth on this."

The sheriff said he had nothing to do with the state police investigation and hadn't heard of Woerpel before. He said his officers serve thousands of arrest warrants all over the county.

State Police spokeswoman Sgt. Ann Wojas said the charges against the Woerpels began as a routine aerial survey by Trooper Jason E. Sample in a police helicopter.

[bSample alleged in court papers he saw marijuana growing behind a shed on the family's lot, drove to Woerpel's house and questioned family members who said they[b] knew about the pot[/u].[/b]

]"David (Woerpel) stated that he knew about the marijuana plants, but that they were not running a drug cartel,"
Sample alleged in his court affidavit.[/b]

Last edited by hammonite on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:26 am 

With regard to the upcoming primary for Mayor

"The Hammond party doesn't need to get involved in the primary. It's going to be a bloody, ugly primary. The chair needs to focus on the whole city," McDermott said.

Last edited by hammonite on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:27 am 

backTalk for Thursday, Nov. 22, 2007

* Story
* Discussion

Posted: Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

Whose priorities?

Mayor McDermott's recent campaign, in which he outspent his opponent 30-1 but barely squeaked by, proclaimed "The Right Priorities" for Hammond. The Redevelopment Commission just approved plans to build a $7 million banquet hall at the floundering Lost Marsh Golf Course, an amount that would fund the Hammond Health Department for 10 years. Whose priorities, one wonders? -- Hammond

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:29 am 

Quote:
Radio show co-host new recycling general foreman

Steve Fowler replaces Tina Woerpel at facility

By Susan Brown - susan.brown@nwi.com, (219) 662-5325 | Posted: Tuesday, November 24, 2009 12:00 am | (41) Comments

HAMMOND | Political activist Steve Fowler, an ally of Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr., has replaced embattled Tina Woerpel as general foreman of the Hammond Recycling Department, part of the Hammond Sanitary District where Fowler served on the board of commissioners until earlier this month.

Fowler also co-hosts a WJOB radio show with Woerpel's husband, fellow political activist David Woerpel.

The Woerpels and their sons, James and Derrick Woerpel, on Monday pleaded not guilty to possession of marijuana and maintaining a common nuisance. Officials with the sanitary district said Monday the charges against Tina Woerpel were not directly related to Woerpel's leaving her post at the Recycling Department shortly after the family's arrest in September.

Fowler declined to confirm or comment on his new job, which pays about $36,300 annually.

McDermott confirmed he made Fowler's resignation as Sanitary District commissioner a condition of accepting the recycling job.

Beyond that, the mayor declined to comment, saying, "I'm not going to talk to you about that. I don't need to."

McDermott appoints Hammond's representatives on the HSD, which serves Hammond and Munster. The board of commissioners must be split three to two between the two political parties. Since first appointed as a Republican, Fowler declared himself a Democrat in last year's primary, creating a Democratic majority on the board.

Fowler, who left a full-time position at WJOB around 2006, most recently worked as a laborer at the Hammond Street Department.

It is awfuly nice to know that the Mayor doesn't have to talk to the taxpayers as he does not need to!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:34 am 

"SWAT officers at a Democratic function? This is the new McDermott party? His actions are an embarrassment to the Democratic Party." attributed to Sheriff Roy Dominguez

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/article_2ac54881-424a-55fa-b929-0c0b8dbaa4e8.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:09 am 

My personal favorite from a Hammond Times Article http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/article_c87240fb-e67e-5d1b-ba4c-b5c3f8d036a9.html :

Quote:
Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr., a Democrat who was mentioned briefly in the trial as a Cantrell associate, said Cantrell would never cooperate with prosecutors.

"He's not that kind of guy," McDermott said. "Bobby Cantrell is old school. He's not going to flip."

McDermott said he is sad for the Cantrell family, who he knows personally. Although the mayor knows Cantrell is "not an altar boy," he was shocked at the conviction, attributing it to pervasive anti-government sentiment among the population at large.

"To me, it didn't seem like the government had that strong of a case," McDermott said. "It was a bad environment, with people so angry about taxes and gas prices. People are just lashing out. If you're accused of public corruption, it's a bad environment to go before a jury."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:42 pm 

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/hammond-in/TUCEAATSV206CTRGA

Quote:
In a recent article, Mayor Thoams McDermott said about another US Senate Candidate, "He's an office jumper," McDermott said. "I guess he's not very serious about the office."

Ok, so it is not an office jumper for Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr to jump from a Republican to a Democrat!

So its not an office jumper for Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr to jump from wanting to run as a Governor Candidate, only to find he doesn't have a chance in Hxx, but to now run for the US Senate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:12 pm 

I thought I heard McDermott say, "I got to go, they be broke now!"

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:21 am 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/article_12751ed7-94a9-5b54-ba19-6ddff8a33bac.html

Quote:
Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr., a supporter of Democratic presidential candidate U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton denounced it Wednesday as a shameless political power play.

"To me it seems like an orchestrated effort on behalf of the Obama campaign to take kids who should be in school learning to read and write, instead giving them a day off and telling them to vote for Obama.

"When you corral kids together and ship them to polling places, it's completely unethical. I think Sen. Obama should distance himself from this type of behavior," McDermott said

You mean to tell me Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr understands the word unethical!

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:38 am 

justcallmetommy wrote:
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/article_12751ed7-94a9-5b54-ba19-6ddff8a33bac.html

Quote:
Hammond Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr., a supporter of Democratic presidential candidate U.S. Sen. Hillary Clinton denounced it Wednesday as a shameless political power play.

"To me it seems like an orchestrated effort on behalf of the Obama campaign to take kids who should be in school learning to read and write, instead giving them a day off and telling them to vote for Obama.

"When you corral kids together and ship them to polling places, it's completely unethical. I think Sen. Obama should distance himself from this type of behavior," McDermott said

You mean to tell me Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr understands the word unethical!

This may be a quote that comes back to haunt him if he continues with his dreams of higher office. In the first paragraph he says "kids who should be learning to read and write". Does he mean that he thinks 18 year olds who are eligible to vote can't read or write?

Then he says "corral kids to ship them" while referring to primarily African American students. I guess the mayor didn't pay attention in history class because if he did he sure would not have used those words.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:18 pm 

hammonite wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/hammond-in/TUCEAATSV206CTRGA

Quote:
In a recent article, Mayor Thoams McDermott said about another US Senate Candidate, "He's an office jumper," McDermott said. "I guess he's not very serious about the office."

Ok, so it is not an office jumper for Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr to jump from a Republican to a Democrat!

So its not an office jumper for Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr to jump from wanting to run as a Governor Candidate, only to find he doesn't have a chance in Hxx, but to now run for the US Senate.

Is McDermott jumpin anything else? Skip rope, hopscotch sorta stuff? :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:56 pm 

Doug Ross's Hammond Times article on Down Town Hammond as printed credits the following quote to Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr....

The "He" McDermott is referencing is Louis Karabus
Quote:
McDermott disputes the point about the income tax.

"He's a private citizen, not an elected official. He can't affect county policy on the income tax," McDermott said last week.

So private citizens can't affect policy on the income tax McDermott, I believe I have heard McDermott say he is in favor of the county income tax and will work at putting candidates in office who will support the tax.

Is it true a vote for a McDermott supported candidate is a support for a Lake County Income Tax?

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/columnists/doug-ross/article_81154ef5-31dd-5da1-b96d-9c6cef59a2d6.html

Last edited by justcallmetommy on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next