Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hammond on verge of a Renaissance?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:23 am 

sparks wrote:

The process to demo a derelict house is lengthy and expensive. The city has to document that the property presents a public safety hazard. Once that happens,
a judge has to approve a court order to enter the home and assess how much it will cost to repair the property. If the repairs exceed 50% of the appraised value of the property,then the demo process moves forward. At every step of the process, the property owners can contest the findings or have their attorneys
ask for continuances.There are several attorneys who specialize in representing owners of derelict properties. Their names appear in the minutes for the BOPW hearings every month. They are probably friends of JCMT, which is why he will never print their names on the boards.However, other posters who actually care about Hammond may choose to publicize the names of these attorneys, who are on the same level as ambulance chasers. Frequently, once the property is put out for bid to demolish, "new" owners appear out of nowhere, claiming they just bought the house and didn't know it was on the demo list. In the meantime, people like Mary Ellen who are honest and pay their taxes have to live next to these dumps.[/b]

Expensive, as the one specific attorney handles these cases and is paid by the hour. Or is it less expensive to then buy the property, sometimes from a friend, and then spend buko bucks rehabbing the property, putting favored contractors to work with Federal Funding?

As to concerns regarding public safety.... absolutely a concern, shame the McDermott administration didn't find this golden egg earlier.... more on that later.

Spickles speaking on someone else's legal representation , I guess due process is only afforded to spickles, let's say as in a bankruptcy.

As to people like tiger living next to these dumps, tiger can do only so much in keeping her neighborhood safe, and clean. It is the city's responsibility to assure both of those challenges occur and obviously they are failing in this responsibility.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

Last edited by justcallmetommy on Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:45 am 

justcallmetommy wrote:
sparks wrote:

The process to demo a derelict house is lengthy and expensive. The city has to document that the property presents a public safety hazard. Once that happens,
a judge has to approve a court order to enter the home and assess how much it will cost to repair the property. If the repairs exceed 50% of the appraised value of the property,then the demo process moves forward. At every step of the process, the property owners can contest the findings or have their attorneys
ask for continuances.There are several attorneys who specialize in representing owners of derelict properties. Their names appear in the minutes for the BOPW hearings every month. They are probably friends of JCMT, which is why he will never print their names on the boards.However, other posters who actually care about Hammond may choose to publicize the names of these attorneys, who are on the same level as ambulance chasers. Frequently, once the property is put out for bid to demolish, "new" owners appear out of nowhere, claiming they just bought the house and didn't know it was on the demo list. In the meantime, people like Mary Ellen who are honest and pay their taxes have to live next to these dumps.[/b]

Expensive, as the one specific attorney handles these cases and is paid by the hour.

As to concerns regarding public safety.... absolutely a concern, shame the McDermott administration didn't find this golden egg earlier.... more on that later.

Spickles speaking on someone else's legal representation , I guess due process is only afforded to spickles, let's say as in a bankruptcy.

As to people like tiger living next to these dumps, tiger can do only so much in keeping her neighborhood safe, and clean. It is the city's responsibility to assure both of those challenges occur and obviously they are failing in this responsibility.
It is very time consuming to demolish private property.Most of the time the demo process starts in motion because of excessive police calls or complaints from neighbors. Research has to be done to find out who the legal owners are. Code enforcement inspects the exterior of the property, looking for signs of illegal apartments and safety hazards . If the owners refuse code enforcement entry to inspect the inside of the property, a judge must issue an order to inspect once CE has documented why an inspection is needed. That is just the start of the process. Owners can use their attorneys to delay the process for months or years, collecting rent the entire time. Frequently, the owners aren't paying their taxes, so the city must spend tax dollars that could be better spent elsewhere going after deadbeat landlords. When hearing about the properties occur, neighbors have the legal right to testify about the impact those derelict properties have on them. Feel free to attend one, Lefty. I'll be there

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:01 am 

sparks wrote:

It is very time consuming to demolish private property.Most of the time the demo process starts in motion because of excessive police calls or complaints from neighbors. Research has to be done to find out who the legal owners are. Code enforcement inspects the exterior of the property, looking for signs of illegal apartments and safety hazards . If the owners refuse code enforcement entry to inspect the inside of the property, a judge must issue an order to inspect once CE has documented why an inspection is needed. That is just the start of the process. Owners can use their attorneys to delay the process for months or years, collecting rent the entire time. Frequently, the owners aren't paying their taxes, so the city must spend tax dollars that could be better spent elsewhere going after deadbeat landlords. When hearing about the properties occur, neighbors have the legal right to testify about the impact those derelict properties have on them. Feel free to attend one, Lefty. I'll be there

Research of property records is as easy as logging on the assessor/treasure's web site.

If it wasn't for McDermott using code enforcement as a tool to intimidate citizens concerned with how government in Hammond doesn't work, Tom infact used CE against several political opponents, maybe they would have time to do their jobs.

In addition many times code enforcement absurps their authority, establishing court dates with out due process. The use of due process, by hiring an attorney and having a fair hearing is a constitutional right. The McDermott administration was sued and lost with the two tiered rental registration fee in federal court.

The next round is reversing an illegal tax, on rental units.

All of the properties in this list are not rentals, but it is obvious that due to McDermott's mismanagement of city agencies, and political favors to contributors, McDermott's team looks the other way. Is there WJED tape, on which Rich Diombala, heard stating McDermott attempted to influence him in going after political opponents? :smt002

The conditions of some of these properties have the appearance they are uninhabitable, yet McDermott's Team has failed to address the vast majority on this thread.

Sad.

McDermott's rehab program, which uses HUD funds, is being looked at as we speak. Any citizen can call/write federal agencies with their concerns. Isn't that how Salinas got busted? A scorned lover?

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:22 am 

justcallmetommy wrote:
sparks wrote:

Research of property records is as easy as logging on the assessor/treasure's web site.

If it wasn't for McDermott using code enforcement as a tool to intimidate citizens concerned with how government in Hammond doesn't work, Tom infact used CE against several political opponents, maybe they would have time to do their jobs.

In addition many times code enforcement absurps their authority, establishing court dates with out due process. The use of due process, by hiring an attorney and having a fair hearing is a constitutional right. The McDermott administration was sued and lost with the two tiered rental registration fee in federal court.

The next round is reversing an illegal tax, on rental units.

All of the properties in this list are not rentals, but it is obvious that due to McDermott's mismanagement of city agencies, and political favors to contributors, McDermott's team looks the other way. Is there WJED tape, on which Rich Diombala, heard stating McDermott attempted to influence him in going after political opponents? :smt002

The conditions of some of these properties have the appearance they are uninhabitable, yet McDermott's Team has failed to address the vast majority on this thread.

Sad.

McDermott's rehab program, which uses HUD funds, is being looked at as we speak. Any citizen can call/write federal agencies with their concerns. Isn't that how Salinas got busted? A scorned lover?

If what you say is true, name several properties that you claim were targeted by Code Enforcement. The city has a database of every property in the city,
just like every other city in the country. The database contains the names of the owners, the year it was constructed, the blueprints of the building,zoning, additional building permits obtained for upgrades to the property, rental registrations and code violations. They are public records. Use an FOI and prove your case.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:55 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:08 pm 

Well, if that word is true, Spickles may be the new Chief Electrical Inspector in Hammond, then it explains Spickle's re appearance here. Congratulations Spickles, you are now in a real pickle!

Then maybe Spickles can look into some of the quality of work done by some of the contractors hired by Hammond's Redevelopment Commission. See, the Redevelopment Commission hired "approved contractors" to work on specific homes purchased by HDC.

In fact some of the contractors requested additional payment on some of these projects, some of these payments exceeded 25% of the contract bid, the additional spending request, which were approved, not by the Redevelopment Commission as required by Indiana Statute, but by one of McDermott's appointments in the Redevelopment Commission. This was part of a HUD Inspector General Finding, which resulted in Hammond losing Federal Funding.

BTW, Spickles, the following pictures are of work done on a couple of Hammond's abandoned properties, purchased by HRD and rehabbed by favored contractors. Neary $70k was spent on this one. I am sure someone had to inspect their work and sign off on it...

Spickles would this be safe for a family to move into? Or was the intent, never to really see a family in this, but to have have someone make some gravy on HUD funding?

Shouldn't Hammond be going after the contractors to recoup some of cost?
Shouldn't the preferred contractors be barred from doing business in Hammond?

Mr. Mayor? Ms. Kantar?

Hmmmm.

Now in this picture, the electrician I consulted said it appears the wires should have been enclosed in conduit/or spring green metal sheathing and a gang box anchored for the fixture.

According to the electrician I consulted, the electrical tape securing the wiring to the 2x4 is illegal, along with the metal cable not having a gang box on the end of it.

According to the electrician I consulted, In this picture, I just love the electrical tape securing wiring... and the metal cable should have gone into a gang box.

What the electrician said, what is unique about this picture, is the pigtails are connected to old knob and tube wiring, which should have been replaced in the remodeling project.

Opps!

I guess I am going to get another visit by code enforcement. Bad JCMT, Bad JCMT!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:55 pm 

justcallmetommy wrote:
Well, if that word is true, Spickles may be the new Chief Electrical Inspector in Hammond, then it explains Spickle's re appearance here. Congratulations Spickles, you are now in a real pickle!

Then maybe Spickles can look into some of the quality of work done by some of the contractors hired by Hammond's Redevelopment Commission. See, the Redevelopment Commission hired "approved contractors" to work on specific homes purchased by HDC.

In fact some of the contractors requested additional payment on some of these projects, some of these payments exceeded 25% of the contract bid, the additional spending request, which were approved, not by the Redevelopment Commission as required by Indiana Statute, but by one of McDermott's appointments in the Redevelopment Commission. This was part of a HUD Inspector General Finding, which resulted in Hammond losing Federal Funding.

BTW, Spickles, the following pictures are of work done on a couple of Hammond's abandoned properties, purchased by HRD and rehabbed by favored contractors. Neary $70k was spent on this one. I am sure someone had to inspect their work and sign off on it...

Spickles would this be safe for a family to move into? Or was the intent, never to really see a family in this, but to have have someone make some gravy on HUD funding?

Shouldn't Hammond be going after the contractors to recoup some of cost?
Shouldn't the preferred contractors be barred from doing business in Hammond?

Mr. Mayor? Ms. Kantar?

Hmmmm.

Now in this picture, the electrician I consulted said it appears the wires should have been enclosed in conduit/or spring green metal sheathing and a gang box anchored for the fixture.

According to the electrician I consulted, the electrical tape securing the wiring to the 2x4 is illegal, along with the metal cable not having a gang box on the end of it.

According to the electrician I consulted, In this picture, I just love the electrical tape securing wiring... and the metal cable should have gone into a gang box.

What the electrician said, what is unique about this picture, is the pigtails are connected to old knob and tube wiring, which should have been replaced in the remodeling project.

Opps!

I guess I am going to get another visit by code enforcement. Bad JCMT, Bad JCMT!

Several contractors have recently lost their licenses to work in the city of Hammond. I wonder if your buddy is one of them?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:03 pm 

sparks wrote:

Several contractors have recently lost their licenses to work in the city of Hammond. I wonder if your buddy is one of them?

Actually Rightie, they are a project manager with Whiteco. :smt002

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 pm 

OMG ! As a wife of a retired electrician, I know some basic electrical, as I have helped my husband in years past. I never did any of the electrical work itself, but I did piddly things, like shut off the breakers, turn them on, turn lights on and off, hold a flashlight,etc.He taught me what was safe, and what was not, and common safety procedures.
IMO, whoever did this work should be in jail, and I hope like heck that there is no power connected at these places pictured.This is a disaster waiting to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:59 am 

Sorry Chuck I am calling Boll Sh!t on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:13 pm 

xmpt wrote:
Sorry Chuck I am calling Boll Sh!t on this one.

These pictures were taken in the last 8 days. They are of a property which has been rehabbed by Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr administration, thru the Hammond Redevelopment Commission. Contractors were hired and nearly $70,000 was spent on the rehab.

The property after rehab has sat vacant, condition of the rehab so poor, it wouldn't pass an FHA inspection. FHA is how most low income people purchase their homes.

Hammond's use of Federal HUD funds has come under question two, to three years ago by both, HUD and the State Board of Accounts. Past HUD Audits and the State Board of Account audits, indicated millions of dollars couldn't be traced because of, essentially poor bookkeeping. You have got to ask yourself why?

HUD's Inspector General disbarred Hammond, in October of last year, from participation until issues were resolved http://www.hudoig.gov/Audit_Reports/2012-CH-1009.pdf. McDermott's administration of this program has been very problematic, for the most part, and it was used to help him get votes, rein in cash from contributors, in the last election. Contracts were dished out to reward McDermott's campaign contributors/supporters with contracts.

This work is sub standard, and either corrupt or inept city employee's approved the work. Had a family lived in this property, they would have been at risk. The property rehab as such was wasted money. As stated above, after rehab, the property wouldn't have passed an FHA inspection.

I have over 70 pictures of this property, and will publish them in due time, this I promise.

Spark's past history is/has been to support, what I believe is a corrupt McDermott Administration. Sparks, along with X, will continue to support them because they are getting a salary and some fringe benefits from, as Sparks calls it, this "game."

Fact, this is a property, purchased by the Redevelopment Commission and rehabbed using HUD funds and it would have never qualified for FHA financing, was never inhabitable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:58 am 

Quote:
http://www.hudoig.gov/Audit_Reports/2012-CH-1009.pdf

RESULTS OF AUDIT Finding 1:

The Authority Did Not Comply With HUD’s and Its Own Procurement Requirements

The Authority procured and executed small purchases or contracts above its small
purchase threshold contrary to HUD’s and its own procurement requirements. Additionally
, it
(1)incorrectly disposed of housing units for less than the assessed values and (2) inappropriately
approved change orders.
This condition occurred because the Authority lacked an understanding
of Federal and its own procurement requirements. It also lacked adequate controls to ensure
compliance with HUD’s and its own requirements. As a result, HUD and the Authority lacked
assurance that services were procured at the best price and competition was open.

The Authority’s small purchase threshold was $75,000 for the purchase of goods and
construction contracts. It used small purchase contracts to procure services using
funds from its Recovery Act competitive transformation grant. For both of the work
items we reviewed, the Authority failed to ensure that required documentation was
obtained and maintained in accordance with HUD’s requirements and its own
policies and procedures.

The two items reviewed totaling more than $39,000 were for (1) phase I environmental site assessment with liability insurance clause and (2)asbestos air clearance testing. Documentation was not maintained to support

Quotes were solicited for both of the work items, and Independent cost estimates were completed for one work item.
For the procurement of the environmental assessment, the Authority’s
modernization director stated, review of available time and cost constraints led to a
determination that it would be advantageous to negotiate a contract with the
company, Amereco to prepare a new phase I report with the required insurance clauses as
opposed to reprocuring. The environmental site assessment was
completed three times in total by two companies and was paid for accordingly.

Also, the need for a company conducting the review to have specific insurance
clauses and the time period of having the report completed constituted as a new
scope, for which the small purchases requirements should have been followed.

Further, HUD’s regulations require solicitation of quotes from at least three
companies even by telephone. However, there was no documentation to support
quotes were solicited for the environmental site assessment. Recovery Act funds
totaling $12,300 were paid for the environmental site assessment.

For the removal of asbestos, the Authority contracted with a company
that it had used previously instead of following its procurement policies and Federal
requirements. Recovery Act transformation grant funds totaling $26,875 were
paid for the inappropriately procured service.

Now if you check the HUD Audit, did someone in Hammond's Redevelopment Commission transfer $600,000 to
a "new bank account" and then someone cut checks with out HRC approval to one of the companies named above? Got to check that ....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:09 am 

Quote:

http://www.hudoig.gov/Audit_Reports/2012-CH-1009.pdf

Procurement Documents for
Above Small Purchase
Threshold Contracts Were Not
Consistently Maintained

The Authority executed three contracts above its small purchase threshold for its
formula and competitive senior grants. In addition, the Authority’s nonprofit or for
profit entity executed four contracts above its small purchase threshold for the
competitive transformation grant.
We reviewed the contract files and procurement
documentation for all three contracts for the formula and senior grants and two
contracts for the transformation grant.

The Authority failed to ensure that

A public notice was issued in accordance with its procurement policy for all
five contracts reviewed,

A public bid opening was identified for two sealed bid contracts,

The statement of award was included in the public notice and the
solicitation for two sealed bid contracts,

Accurate bid tabulation was conducted or bid forms were maintained on file
to match the bid tabulation for two contracts,

An addendum was issued to the request for proposal for one contract,

The effective date of two contracts was accurate,

An independent cost estimate was prepared before the issuance of the
solicitation for one contract, and

Board approval was obtained before the contract award was made for one
contract.

According to the Authority’s procurement policy, purchases over $75,000 must be
approved by the board of commissioners. For one contract, involving the
procurement of a consultant for the mixed-finance development, the board
approved the contract on October 22, 2008, and the award notification
was issued on October 23, 2008. However, the rejection letters to
the unsuccessful firms were dated August 26, 2008, which was before
the board’s approval

Now really, would something like this happen in Lake County Indiana? Naw, must be a typo in HUD's Inspector
General Report.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:19 am 

Now this is a picture of a Hammond Re Development Commission rehabbed building's crawl space...hmmmm?

This is what Tom McDermott has rehabbed, using federal tax dollars, and then expects a family to move into this.

College Bound as an incentive?

No wonder under McDermott's leadership, Hammond is losing population.

Seems like the only ones making out on this are the $90,000 a year consultants who get $30,000 in expenses each year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:59 am 

justcallmetommy wrote:

Now this is a picture of a Hammond Re Development Commission rehabbed building's crawl space...hmmmm?

This is what Tom McDermott has rehabbed, using federal tax dollars, and then expects a family to move into this.

College Bound as an incentive?

No wonder under McDermott's leadership, Hammond is losing population.

Seems like the only ones making out on this are the $90,000 a year consultants who get $30,000 in expenses each year.

Hey Chuck, if you think the Mayor has any personal knowledge or involvement in the work done in these pictures you claim are from a house in Hammond, you are delusional. If you had the balls to take pictures like I do when I do electrical inspections, it would be easier to look into what is happening here. Take a picture of the front of the home with the address clearly shown, then take pictures of the deficiencies and store them as one event at XYZ address.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 52  Next