When in 1845 Allan and Julia Brass
established a two-story inn, they also established the foundations for
what is now Munster, Indiana. This structure, which was originally a
tavern built by David Gibson, was located at what is now the corner of
Ridge Road and Columbia Avenue.
After 1853, many Dutch farmers began establishing truck farms for supply
to a growing Chicago market, and residents built a church and a small
school. In 1875, a three-room brick school was built.
The draining of Cady Marsh through the excavation of ditches assisted in
the development of the area, enabling more land to be
In the time between the two World Wars, Munster became an evolving
suburban community, populated with skilled oil and steel workers and