Approximately 1830, the region of Northwest
Indiana was inhabited by Pottawatomie Indians and was becoming a new settlement
for a new group of people. Records as far back as 1838 document the early
origins of what is now the town of Dyer. Also in that year, the original
State Line House was being constructed: a stopping place for travelers en
route to Chicago and for Union Soldiers during the Civil War.
A noted farmer in the early town of Dyer
was Mr. Hart, who improved the area land through the development of ditch
systems, therefore improving the usability of the land.
The area experienced notable growth with the
addition railway lines and stations. Other areas of business that
emerged in Dyer included a furniture store, a blacksmith shops, a
creamery, a pickle and sauerkraut factory, a flour mill, several taverns,
and a couple of grocery stores.
In the early 1920s, Dyer was selected for the portion the "Ideal
Section of the Lincoln Highway," an experimental model for the
standards of U.S. highway construction. This involvement brought
Dyer national attention.